Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica 140 Vvti "death Rattle"

stevewales2003

Hi everyone sorry my first post is a negative one.

i bought a 2000 celica 140 vvti last week in black was a very nice car nearly full toyota service history on 112k miles, i took in for a nice run the next day 150miles plus and it run faultless so i thought i'd change the oil, oil filer, plugs and air filter to be on the safe side which i did the next day, but after doing so i let the car warm up buy ticking over until it was warm i then took it for a run and straight away the engine developed a metallic tappity sound over 3700-4000rpm which gets louder as the revs get higher, i used the correct oil 10w 40 SS. it done this for about a day (10-15 miles) i then left it over night and the next day it was fine no noise at all (done probably 30 miles) but now the noise has come back. sounds like its coming from the top of the engine when i listen under the bonnet. i can also heat the noise faintly on cold start of the engine. i'm guessing its the big end shells as the sound fits in with some of the descriptions i've heard on here an some of the videos i've listened to on you tube.

questions:

clutching at straws for a cheep fix but it there any heat shields that can come loose an make the noise? (i've give the top manifold one a shake and that sounds fine)

Could thicker oil been used previously to quiet it down so i wouldn't hear it?

how could the sound go away for a day the come back the same the next?

how long would the engine last if i keep it under 3500rpm?

is it worth getting a new engine on such an old car as i can see it costing me £1000 for a new engine and the cars only worth a few hundred more anyways?

how much would it be worth as spares or repairs now of if i drove it until it dies/becomes un drivable.

sorry for all the questions, i'm really gutted about it all as i really love everything about the car and if i cant sort this one i will be buying another 2003+ though an maybe a 190 :)

kind regards,

Steve.

Sorry to hear of your woes. You may find the car was using thicker oil, to keep the oil burning issues under control. Is it actually using oil?

Options

If you have the space to break you'll get a good return over time. But you wont get more than the car is worth (was worth)with a running engine.

You could consider a rebore, new pistons and bottom end shells, with a fully cleaned up Oil Pick up pipe/strainer.

• 5 weeks later...

Worst case its as per the pdf file attached in this post

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=75536&view=findpost&p=943206

The issue described there is pretty much exactly what happened to mine and you do have the right year of celica to be affected

However a lesser issue that might be the cause is one that the MAF sensor getting dirty also produces an audible rattling noise at certain levels of revs and was intermittent, definately seemed to happen more on cool/cold days, could explain your issue.

Before condemning the engine it may well be worth checking out the VVTi cam pulleys, etc. Excessive wear in the system will cause rattle at certain engine speeds.:)

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone sorry my first post is a negative one.

i bought a 2000 celica 140 vvti last week in black was a very nice car nearly full toyota service history on 112k miles, i took in for a nice run the next day 150miles plus and it run faultless so i thought i'd change the oil, oil filer, plugs and air filter to be on the safe side which i did the next day, but after doing so i let the car warm up buy ticking over until it was warm i then took it for a run and straight away the engine developed a metallic tappity sound over 3700-4000rpm which gets louder as the revs get higher, i used the correct oil 10w 40 SS. it done this for about a day (10-15 miles) i then left it over night and the next day it was fine no noise at all (done probably 30 miles) but now the noise has come back. sounds like its coming from the top of the engine when i listen under the bonnet. i can also heat the noise faintly on cold start of the engine. i'm guessing its the big end shells as the sound fits in with some of the descriptions i've heard on here an some of the videos i've listened to on you tube.

questions:

clutching at straws for a cheep fix but it there any heat shields that can come loose an make the noise? (i've give the top manifold one a shake and that sounds fine)

Could thicker oil been used previously to quiet it down so i wouldn't hear it?

how could the sound go away for a day the come back the same the next?

how long would the engine last if i keep it under 3500rpm?

is it worth getting a new engine on such an old car as i can see it costing me £1000 for a new engine and the cars only worth a few hundred more anyways?

how much would it be worth as spares or repairs now of if i drove it until it dies/becomes un drivable.

sorry for all the questions, i'm really gutted about it all as i really love everything about the car and if i cant sort this one i will be buying another 2003+ though an maybe a 190 smile.gif

kind regards,

Steve.

Did you found out what was the noise from? Are you still running the car?

Last on here 5.5.11, not even to read the replies.

Probably just needed the correct oil filter with the anti-drain back valve.

Hi,

The knocking lasted about 3 weeks then one day I started it and the noise was gone ran the car for 18 months after that and it didn't miss a beat, felt quite emotional trading it in for my new car.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I had the death rattel for my 7gen and purchased another engine which is from a 2003mr2 is there a big difference in them? Will it be a simple drop in change over or will I have much more to do. Help is greatly needed thanks

• 2 years later...

Hey guys,

Well last night i got the death rattle.

I was driving home casually when a 190 came up behind me so naturally we had a bit of fun- only lasted 10 mins and temp seemed normal etc etc. eventually he turned off and i resumed at 80 mph then it started.

However it would die down in 6th gear under 3000 but it suddenly began to lose power. i dropped a couple of gears but power kept dropping until suddenly the car died- steam was pouring from the bonnet. I opened it up to find oil and water everywhere. Put hazards on which didn't last long as the Battery completely died too.

All this happened in the space of 15 mins from the noise starting.

Towed it home and today i jacked her up- removed the undertray to find small bits of metal lying on it and a hole under the engine cover (if that's what it is!). 

I'll attach a picture and you'll see the hole and could somebody tell me if it is the engine cover protector or something.

20161130_133349.jpg