Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 2007 D4D Engine Rebuild

Curryboarder1

Firstly the ERG valve was clogging the 2.0 D4D engine.

Followed the ERG advice to clean it. Don't do this. It's clogging for a reason.

Then black smoke - no power etc.

Injectors faulty (apparently due to not being able to cope with the diesel fuel in the UK).

Out of Warrenty but Toyota paid for replacement injectors - I had to pay for the ERG Valve £270.

Overheating at 60mph and losing water (not leaking tho).

Apparently small leak in water pump but now requires full engine rebuild (probably due to injectors clogging and knock on effect).

Still out of warrenty.

Toyota will pay for engine rebuild.

But - I have to pay £270 for oil, collant , seals etc (not sure what the etc is).

Surely I am not the only one. (in fact there is another car getting the same job done in the same garage)

Anyone know where I stand with regard to this? Is it a Toyota cover up? I am going to challenge this as much as I can as I think there should have been a recall.

Appart from that the actual dealer service provided has been excellent.

There have been quite a few instances on the 2.0D and moreso the 2.2D engines of leaky waterpumps that eventually cause the cooling system to run low and the engine to overheat, this in turn blows the head gasket. These engines are renowned for head gasket failure at higher miles, and Toyota apparently extended the warranty to 108K miles for the 2.2D, but not sure about the 2.0D. If the head gasket fails then the block is usually condemned as it warps or sustains too much damage to just simply replace the head gasket. Tis is why you are having to have a rebuild. I would say that this has nothing to do with the EGR valve being cleaned. There are plenty of posts on various forums about this well known problem with the Head gaskets and the water pumps, and Toyota know about it - very much so!

Injectors faulty (apparently due to not being able to cope with the diesel fuel in the UK).

Out of Warrenty but Toyota paid for replacement injectors - I had to pay for the ERG Valve £270.

Apparently small leak in water pump but now requires full engine rebuild (probably due to injectors clogging and knock on effect).

Still out of warrenty.

But - I have to pay £270 for oil, collant , seals etc (not sure what the etc is).

Surely I am not the only one. (in fact there is another car getting the same job done in the same garage)

Anyone know where I stand with regard to this? Is it a Toyota cover up? I am going to challenge this as much as I can as I think there should have been a recall.

The warranty is 112k for the 2.2 D4-D engine gasket failure. I've just had a new engine fitted in my Avensis T-180 and I never paid a pennie for oil/filters/New EGR/coolant ect. Get back to them and ask why you should pay when other owners do not...

There have been quite a few instances on the 2.0D and moreso the 2.2D engines of leaky waterpumps that eventually cause the cooling system to run low and the engine to overheat, this in turn blows the head gasket. These engines are renowned for head gasket failure at higher miles, and Toyota apparently extended the warranty to 108K miles for the 2.2D, but not sure about the 2.0D. If the head gasket fails then the block is usually condemned as it warps or sustains too much damage to just simply replace the head gasket. Tis is why you are having to have a rebuild. I would say that this has nothing to do with the EGR valve being cleaned. There are plenty of posts on various forums about this well known problem with the Head gaskets and the water pumps, and Toyota know about it - very much so!

Pity they dont it a level switch in coolant tank so giving early warning of coolant loss.

others do.could be too late before temp rise on gauge is noticed.

I had the same with my 2 litre d4d (really early model on a '56 plate but only 40k) only 2 months ago. Toyota repaired all free of charge including head, block, pistons, egr valve and all fluids.

I'm confused by the OP, for what reason would the EGR valve be supposed to clog up? If that was the case it wouldn't be there.

An EGR Valve circulates unburnt fuel and gases into the combustion chamber to lower temperatures, wikipedia goes in to more details.

A question to ask would be what did you clean the valve with? Who told you the valve is supposed to clog?

I'm confused by the OP, for what reason would the EGR valve be supposed to clog up? If that was the case it wouldn't be there.

An EGR Valve circulates unburnt fuel and gases into the combustion chamber to lower temperatures, wikipedia goes in to more details.

A question to ask would be what did you clean the valve with? Who told you the valve is supposed to clog?

I think a few assumptions have been made.... The EGR valves clog, all models do it eventually it just seems the d4d is uber prone to it. I think this has been misinterpreted(wrongly) in OP to be a problem associated to head gasket troubles....

Fuel injectors use the fuel to lubricate them and a combination of new "low sulpher" city diesel fuels and very high fuel injector pressures give them less service life than could be expected on older designs running the old diesel.

The head gasket problem which neccesitates the rebuild is not influenced by either of the other faults.

• Like 1

The engine doesnt overheat because of the water pump at all the water pump leaks because it is the weakest point in the coolant system,which becomes overpressurized due to head gasket failure due to carbon stamping,This is due to the burning of oil via the pistons-and rings ,the egr becomes clogged because of this excessive oil burning and deposits.Toyota have been great with extending warrantys and paying in full for parts and labour in most cases.

• Like 1

Pity they dont it a level switch in coolant tank so giving early warning of coolant loss.

Coolant levels should be check regularly as stated in the owners manualther is no need for a level switch at all-they dont leak that bad

also their is early warnings to look out for a blackish tinge to the coolant bottle

coolant splatter all over the engine bay...

the sad thing is toytech people dont think they need to check their levels between services so by the time they do notice somethings up its too late...

Coolant levels should be check regularly as stated in the owners manualther is no need for a level switch at all-they dont leak that bad

no leaks dont happen very often. but there could be a coolant hose problem or many other things like a water pump problem.

yes you should keep an i eye on temp gauge.but there are times you dont want to take your eyes of the road.

an visuel/audio warning is a safety measure.if they can fit things like auto lights and auto wipers which are not realy needed,as we are all capable of operating them ourselves.but a coolant level switch is very handy.could save your engine.as ive said many makes fit them,

using your advice we can do away with oil warning and oil level light.

as the oil level should be checked regulary.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to the knowledge and responses posted here I saved approx £500. Thanks all. Toyota paid for it out of warrenty and refunded the egr valve costs. I did have to go thru toyota uk but they were helpful. Hopefully thats the car sorted.

• 2 months later...

The gear change crunches when cold and has done since the engine rebuild. I thought it may have just been settling in but it is far notchier than before and isn't geting any better. Could this be related? A clutch adjustment issue? Normal clutch wear that just coincided with the rebuild?

I also have a tail light half filled with water.

And a whining noise which could be anything - maybe even just me:)

With the list of issues I would just take it to MrT and ask them to investigate.

• 1 month later...

Still out of warrenty.

The warranty is 112k for the 2.2 D4-D engine gasket failure. I've just had a new engine fitted in my Avensis T-180 and I never paid a pennie for oil/filters/New EGR/coolant ect. Get back to them and ask why you should pay when other owners do not...

Had an engine rebuild in May 2011, due to poor starting from cold, engine cranking over for ages. Toyota were excellant in replacing cylinder head, pistons etc etc, and everything has been fine until now. Apparently the dealership had done 7 rebuilds before mine went in, so there's a problem somewhere. The weathers getting colder and the engine starting problem has returned despite the rebuild. Last tank of diesel was bought from Shell despite me usually buying supermarket fuel. If supermarket fuel doesn't cure my problems I'll be back to my dealer complaining again!!! Has anyone else suffered this problem?

Still out of warrenty.

You dont have to pay for a thing if you have a head gasket failure. No oil/filters/coolant/air con gas ect and no EGR valve! Getting new injectors would cost a small fortune! The 5th injector alone is way over £600 on its own! Get back to Mr T and ask why you've been charged when others have not...

• 3 weeks later...

it is a common problem. My Auris had new injectors and brand new head and head gasket. All paid by Toyota. The car only had about 30,000 miles. I think the build quality is very bad. the engine is the same that is used in the 2 litre diesel avensis.Good luck. i got rid of mine as quickly as possibly always had something wrong with it.My new car has not been back except for a service.

Out of interest what is your mileage sorry if you have posted already?

Poor starting possible causes:

Poor Battery

Bad earth connection from Battery

Alternator not charging Battery

Glow plugs

Fuel filter contamintaed with water

Air filter contaminated

MAF Sensor

Fuel pump pressure low

Low fuel if you park on a hill with cold weather diesel can wax resulting in fuel pick up not flowing through to engine

Low battery in remote not responding to ECU immobiliser issue

Low oil or user thinner grade oil to ease starting

Clutch pedal starter sensor/starter motor

EGR Valve blocked with soot

Try to prime the fuel filter located behind the air filter box to see if it makes a difference.

Above could sound unrealistic but your best to try and see if you can gather which one it is, from working on many cars in the past these are some of the possible causes.

Keep us posted...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

wondering if anyone can help, seemed like the right post to get suggestions from.

i have the 2.0 diesel auris which is making a engine knock sound, i had it on the computer and injector 4 was out of balance (in the orange) so i got it replaced for a reconditioned one put it back in coded and it is still showing as injector 4 being in the orange and engine knock still continues.

it starts on first turn however from November till about march time it has been having the start up problem where id have to turn it like at least 15 clicks before it would start.

any help or suggestions?

The injector still reading out of spec could be:

A faulty injector driver

A faulty injector

or a compression issue in cylinder 4

Poor cold start in cold weather is usually related to a faulty SCV for which there is a modified SCV and sortware update, see http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/142960-starting-problems-20-d4d/?hl=+cold%20+start