Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Claim Diesels More Fuel Efficient Than Hybrids

johalareewi

Yeah, saw that this morning and decided it was so crap I wouldnt bother to read it all... Flippin eck, I get 65mpg on a motorway from my Prius, not tried it in a town yet....like all the "reviewers" they have the car for an hour and think they know it all....

Was the diesel they compared it with an automatic?

Was it "avensis/mondeo" size?

Did they actually try to get decent economy from it?

Do they realise that diesel is up to 15p dearer per litre than petrol?

I give up, rant over :yahoo:

• Like 1

Who reads Which these days?

That magazine is irrelevant and old fashioned as Ford Cortina's, Fondue, Flairs and Martini Bianco's.

If you have to read a magazine to decide what car they recommend then you may as well give up on life. :unsure:

That magazine is irrelevant and old fashioned as Ford Cortina's, Fondue, Flairs and Martini Bianco's.

If you have to read a magazine to decide what car they recommend then you may as well give up on life. :unsure:

Good one - may I in jest say that perhaps you are living up to your name there? :laughing:

Think I had better get rid of a few magazines now!

David

Good one - may I in jest say that perhaps you are living up to your name there? :laughing:

Think I had better get rid of a few magazines now!

Hey you're a how do I say it, a more mature, experienced and wiser person AND you drive a Prius; so you're alright by me. :thumbsup:

The newer diesel is more fuel efficient than Prius. That said, I supposed they are only talking about motorway driving. City driving, I suspect Prius would still own the new diesel. Although I am not so sure about the stop start technology though, would that make diesel more efficient than prius in city driving?

The newer diesel is more fuel efficient than Prius. That said, I supposed they are only talking about motorway driving. City driving, I suspect Prius would still own the new diesel. Although I am not so sure about the stop start technology though, would that make diesel more efficient than prius in city driving?

Newer diesels may be more efficient than the Prius. However these comparisons are usually done between the Prius, an automatic 5 seat family hatchback, and a manual 4 seat small diesel which uses more expensive fuel which pumps out NOXious fumes.

Road tax is based on CO2 emissions, not Nitrous oxide which diesels chuck out.

Frankly, I will stick to my Prius, in traffic jams and in town I can travel some distance without using ANY fuel, no diesel can do that, I can travel at 70mph and still turn in 65mpg, yes diesels could do that, but more expensively.

Yup, I'll stick to my Prius :yahoo:

• Like 1

But at the end of the day it isn't a competition! All economical cars are a good thing (apart from NOx pollution from diesels).

Sure a diesel (of similar size) will match or possibly beat the Prius on a motorway but it won't come close in town. One thing they don't tell you on start stop technology is that the a/c stops working when the engine is off and running a/c on a non hybrid vehicle will eat mpg's! Also, ALL the comparisons are based on manual transmissions which are the norm here. But if you compare automatic to automatic the Prius is still massively more economical.

Anyhow, I save thousands a year by having a Prius compared to a diesel (auto or manual) so I and my accountant know the Prius is a winner. :toast:

There are good points and bad points with both; Anything with an electric engine from a Prius to a milk float will beat almost anything else in city driving, but there is a reason why people who drive long distances tend to buy diesel vehicles even today!

But c'mon, it's £51 difference over a year! That's barely a single tank of fuel! (Well, for me.Would have been almost two when I bought the car :crybaby: ) Hardly a notable difference.

In the defence of diesel tho', yes diesel is considerably more expensive per litre than petrol, but the fact that diesel cars are *still* cheaper to run than equivalent petrol versions despite this shows just how much of an efficiency advantage diesel has over petrol.

That and you can make diesel out of a lot more stuff than petrol; As we run out of fossil fuels even more I think that'll start being bigger factor...

I would still really love to see a diesel-electric hybrid Yaris :lol: (Suspect it would have an IQ's bootspace tho'... :unsure::lol: )

(Well, really I'd like to have a full-electric Yaris with no torque restrictors and 600 miles range :yahoo: but Battery tech has a looooong way to go before that's likely without it being a 1-seater! :lol: )

I was in England recently and hired a car to drive from Heathrow to Norwich and back and was given a Skoda Octavia diesel. - I hated it! :yucky:

Every time I stopped, it sounded and felt like I was sitting in a tractor or a London taxi. It was absolute bliss to come home to my near-silent Auris hybrid. :yahoo:

Sorry, but no matter what the fuel economy, emission or whatever figures are, I will never buy a diesel.

Sorry, but no matter what the fuel economy, emission or whatever figures are, I will never buy a diesel.

Likewise. It's not the fuel of gentlemen.

I'd like to know why, when following a diseasel, sometimes they chuck out a large black cloud of !Removed! for no apparent reason? And this is on a reasonably new cars too... You're quite happily poodling along minding your own biznis and all of a sudden the car in front farts a blood6 great cloud of black smoke at you! Why, if they are supposed to be so clean?

• Like 1

Likewise. It's not the fuel of gentlemen.

Is that why you don't see a diesel Rolls Royce, Bentley or Maybach? Funny, but all those luxury manufacturers are completely ignoring diesel but looking at electric for the future. Why's that I wonder? :!Removed!:

• Like 1

Next door neighbour has a new diesel VW Saloon. It is noisy and he told me he could not get the 65MPG I get on my Prius with the VW. He also told me the engine does stop if you are in a traffic jam or at traffic lights so I suppose that is good. When he drives off in the morning there is black smoke from the exhaust.Give me our Gen 3 Prius any time. My other neighbour has a Vauxhall diesel UGH!!!

Next door neighbour has a new diesel VW Saloon. It is noisy and he told me he could not get the 65MPG I get on my Prius with the VW. He also told me the engine does stop if you are in a traffic jam or at traffic lights so I suppose that is good. When he drives off in the morning there is black smoke from the exhaust.Give me our Gen 3 Prius any time. My other neighbour has a Vauxhall diesel UGH!!!

I have owned three diesels (all Toyotas) but wouldn't buy another. I don't like the noise or gruffness of the engines compared with the refinement of a petrol. I believe the emissions are more harmful to health. There also seems to be a problem if you don't do long distance journeys with the diesel particulate filter.

Having said all that my brother-in-laws Jaguar XF is superb and a diesel :blink:

They are NOT clean in reality. The particulate emmisions from Diesel cars are pretty revolting. I am reliably informed that black smoke is caused by incomplete combustion too so all sorts of foul substances are released when these so called clean cars belch out smoke. I too would never have one of these filthy cars.

A serious consumer programme on Norwegian TV recently raised the issue that diesel engines throw out particles which are more carcinogenic than cigarette smoke. The featured researcher who raised the alarm was not happy about his own findings as he drives a very expensive diesel himself. :blink:

Diesel's finished for car use. It's injurious to health and the sums don't stack up for it anymore. It'll go back to trucks and tractors where it belongs.

Diesel's finished for car use. It's injurious to health and the sums don't stack up for it anymore. It'll go back to trucks and tractors where it belongs.

When? Soon I hope!! I was out a short time ago in my just washed pristine Prius, sat at lights behind a 59 plate Mondeo which farted diesel smoke all over the front of my lovely white car!!!!!!!!!!!

:ffs: :censor:

Grumpy Cabbie's hybrid enthusiasm tells you everything you need to know about the hastening demise of diesel (or diseasel, as I prefer to call it). When taxi drivers are abandoning it, you can be sure the era of noisy death rattles and belched black soot is drawing to a close.

Grumpy Cabbie's hybrid enthusiasm tells you everything you need to know about the hastening demise of diesel (or diseasel, as I prefer to call it). When taxi drivers are abandoning it, you can be sure the era of noisy death rattles and belched black soot is drawing to a close.

I bought a hybrid cos I'm a bit of a nerd. I was tempted back in 2004 when the gen2 came out but it just didn't quite stack up at the time. Since then fuel prices have gone mad and I have no control over the prices I can charge as they're set by the council. There are more and more cabbies looking at hybrids because they save money - pure n simple, though some are still scared by the technology if I'm honest.

An added benefit for Toyota is that every customer of mine almost has a free test drive and gets to see how a hybrid actually works in reality. There is no age limit to the interest either and I have only had one real negative type and it turned out he works for VW/Audi and to add insult to (his) injury, his wife liked the Prius :thumbsup:

Where I live in Norway, every second taxi is a Prius. TBH, I can't believe how many Priuseses there are on the road here, both taxis and normal cars.

I'm starting to see quite a few Auris HSDs around now too, in fact a black one just moved in to our street. :thumbsup:

I'd like to know why, when following a diseasel, sometimes they chuck out a large black cloud of ***** for no apparent reason? And this is on a reasonably new cars too... You're quite happily poodling along minding your own biznis and all of a sudden the car in front farts a blood6 great cloud of black smoke at you! Why, if they are supposed to be so clean?

That would be the DPF (diesel particulate filter) purging itself. The DPF is the bugbear of city diesels; as they can't purge themselves and eventually choke the system, causing all sorts of problems. Once choked, they have to be replaced - expensively!

Also to smooth out the lumpiness of smaller diesels, DMFs (dual mass flywheels) are fitted. These also break down creating another expensive repair.

I'd like to know why, when following a diseasel, sometimes they chuck out a large black cloud of ***** for no apparent reason? And this is on a reasonably new cars too... You're quite happily poodling along minding your own biznis and all of a sudden the car in front farts a blood6 great cloud of black smoke at you! Why, if they are supposed to be so clean?

That would be the DPF (diesel particulate filter) purging itself. The DPF is the bugbear of city diesels; as they can't purge themselves and eventually choke the system, causing all sorts of problems. Once choked, they have to be replaced - expensively!

Also to smooth out the lumpiness of smaller diesels, DMFs (dual mass flywheels) are fitted. These also break down creating another expensive repair.

Wow, it makes you wonder if those that buy them realise what they are letting themselves in for then :yahoo:

This is why I say the sums just don't add up for diseasels — they're more expensive up-front, they require more expensive maintenance, and even the fuel cost doesn't work in their favour when comparing like-with-like versus a hybrid. I can just about understand why people on a budget buy them second hand as bangers to commute in, but they must surely be dying out as a new purchase. Within a decade I predict hybrids/PHEVs/EVs will have seen them off altogether if pollution legislation hasn't.