Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Claim Diesels More Fuel Efficient Than Hybrids

johalareewi

The best use to which I've ever seen diseasel put:

I can't be bothered to watch your video, simply because its obvious from the way you spell diesel, and whine about the smell, that it's not going to be a useful post.

The topic isn't about 'Who likes diesel and who hates it', its about an independent report about diesel cars being more efficient. Some will agree, others will disagree.

If you have to moan about the 'opposition' in every post in order to justify owning your own car, then you must feel fairly threatened by the findings, or a bit bitter about diesel cars in some way.

WE GET THE PICTURE.... YOU DON'T LIKE THEM..... MOVE ON!!!

Each engine has lots to offer certain customers.

If you want to get around a race track in the shortest time, a Hybrid and a Diesel are less likely to manage it than a high powered petrol car.

If you want to tow a trailer/caravan or enjoy effortless overtaking, a diesel fits the bill.

If you want improved economy over standard petrol cars (and some diesel cars) and 'silent' driving at low speeds, the Hybrid is for you.....

Enjoy your car and let others enjoy theirs. If my diesel doesn't suit your lifestyle (or smell receptors) then so what? I'm the owner and I'm the only one that has to worry about it.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

If my diesel doesn't suit your lifestyle (or smell receptors) then so what? I'm the owner and I'm the only one that has to worry about it.

Well, that would be true if you weren't belching out soot and cancer left, right and centre.

Stop being silly! Especially with your toxic heavy baby seal puppy eating batteries!!!!1!1eleventyone1!!ZOMGWTFBBQ :eek: :D

(Obviously I'm joking :D)

@Davey - His video is quite funny :lol: Also, calm down! It's just a commercial! No, wait, wrong thread...

• Like 1

If my diesel doesn't suit your lifestyle (or smell receptors) then so what? I'm the owner and I'm the only one that has to worry about it.

Well, that would be true if you weren't belching out soot and cancer left, right and centre.

Again, you have highlighted your misinformation with a ridiculous post.

There has never been any smoke from the back of my Auris because the D-cat system does a very good job of catching the 'soot'. It's as clean as a whistle.

Cancer... more associated with passive smoking, but hey, you already know all this, but it doesn't sit well with your 'hate campaign' for the black pump.

Good job there is a heat wave on the way, those rose tinted glasses will be very useful.

I'm not going to bother responding to you anymore, its like talking to a toddler.

• Like 1

I've been reading these posts with interest.

Personally I don't like diesels, I find them noisy, expensive to buy compared with an equivalent petrol car, diesel fuel is more expensive etc....

HOWEVER, that is my opinion but I would fight to defend the right of someone to buy a diesel if they wish and there is one available.there is still, I hope, freedom of choice in this country, I don't see the point of 4x4's that never go off road, but again it is a matter of choice which I would defend.

We all have our opinions, some are extreme, but we must respect peoples right of choice.

• Like 2

Sooo.. erm... what do you all think about... ponies! :unsure:

They are faster than a prius and cheaper to run :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Seamaster, brilliant video, very entertaining and cleverly done by the (SPOILER ALERT) musicians involved. A nice attempt to put something lighthearted into this thread. B)

• Like 1

And smell better than a diseasel.

• Like 1

:lol:

Wait...

So... our TOC Top Tip is... buy a Pony?! :eek:

So that mad pony bloke in Raist's post had the right idea all along! :yahoo:

And on that bombshell...!

• Like 1

They don't require fancy oil that nobody seems to stock...

• Like 1

And what comes out of their back end won't give you cancer.

• Like 1

And what comes out of their back end won't give you cancer.

But it looks remarkably similar to most of your recent posts.

• Like 1

[but it looks remarkably similar to most of your recent posts.

Miaow! Play nice please. :wacko:

• Like 1

Sorry, i was under the impression that this topic was all about slagging off hybrids/diesels and their owners.

Obviously i got misled somewhere..?

• Like 1

I haven't ruled out the option of a hybrid, but as i have said elsewhere on this forum, i would prefer it to be a diesel hybrid, simply because i prefer the feel of a diesel engine over a petrol engine, and i think it would have a better range to offer where MPG is concerned. The noise simply wouldn't bother me.

That is interesting because the feel of a hybrid engine is completely different to a petrol or diesel engine (or a pony).

• Like 2

Didn't Hyundai make them? :yahoo:

David

• Like 2

I haven't ruled out the option of a hybrid, but as i have said elsewhere on this forum, i would prefer it to be a diesel hybrid, simply because i prefer the feel of a diesel engine over a petrol engine, and i think it would have a better range to offer where MPG is concerned. The noise simply wouldn't bother me.

That is interesting because the feel of a hybrid engine is completely different to a petrol or diesel engine (or a pony).

I'm quite sure they do feel different, but this would only be apparent whilst driving below 30mph?

It's the mid range pull of a diesel that i like most, and effortless overtaking. I'm sure a diesel hybrid would combine the economy and silence of a Prius (or other hybrid) whilst driving through towns, but also offer the torque i like when out on the A roads and Motorways.

Combine the two and i think it would give incredible MPG.

But thats my own opinion, and its bound to upset someone, so i await the amazing inputs about smell, and how to spell diesel in an amusing manner, whilst tackling the serious issue of cancer.... again.

• Like 1

the feel of a hybrid engine is completely different to a petrol or diesel engine

I'm quite sure they do feel different, but this would only be apparent whilst driving below 30mph?

It's the mid range pull of a diesel that i like most, and effortless overtaking. I'm sure a diesel hybrid would combine the economy and silence of a Prius (or other hybrid) whilst driving through towns, but also offer the torque i like when out on the A roads and Motorways.

Combine the two and i think it would give incredible MPG.

Peugeot, Mercedes and Volvo are already producing diesel hybrids but it is not just a question of swapping the ICE component of the Prius from petrol to diesel. Most petrol engines use the Otto cycle, but the Prius engine uses a variant of the Atkinson cycle which is more efficient than the Otto cycle, but produces less power per unit of swept volume. The traction Battery and electric motors make up for this loss of power (for a limited time at least) when extra power is required for acceleration, so the hybrid function does not apply only at lower speeds.

Diesel hybrids suffer from exactly the same particulate emission problems as straight diesels. I think we are at a fork in the road for diesels. The requirements to limit particulate emissions are being cranked up rapidly and are being met by the use of filters that require a purging cycle. My impression is that this works well if your journeys are such that they afford regular opportunity to run at the higher speeds needed to create the high temperatures essential to purge the filter. However, I see more and more people who do a lot of short low speed journeys getting trouble from particulate filters. I know people who for years have pottered from home to the shops in a small, extremely economic, diesel, but who are been steered away from buying another because their journey patterns will not support the required filter purging.

I looked at diesels myself when I last changed my car (towards the end of 2009) and concluded that my journey patterns were likely to give me particulate filter problems. I also concluded that, for my needs, the performance, space and ease of driving factors marginally favoured the Prius. Others will, of course, come to different personal conclusions.

• Like 3

A diesel hybrid could easily top 100mpg, and as tech improves the emissions can be dealt with, especially since the load on the engine could be controlled to avoid situations that generate lots of particulates etc.

Diesel engines, espescially modern CR ones, are actually pretty clean when cruising; It's when they're under high load, e.g. accelerating hard from a stand still, where they can't get enough air in quickly enough which leads to smoking .

The biggest hurdle is the research; I can understand Toyota wanting to focus on the HSD as that is currently 'their thing' right now. Diesel tens to be VW's 'thing' so we'd be more likely to see diesel advances from them (Pity I hate their cars :lol:)

TBH tho', the future is electric motors - Torque that exceeds diesel and RPM that exceeds petrol combined! :yahoo: Mmm, imagine the Tesla power plant in me Yaris! :lol:

The only thing holding us back is that we haven't got a way of storing electricity that's even close to the capacity of chemical fuels. :(

Whoever cracks that nut will control the world!

• Like 3

TBH tho', the future is electric motors - Torque that exceeds diesel and RPM that exceeds petrol combined! :yahoo: Mmm, imagine the Tesla power plant in me Yaris! :lol:

The only thing holding us back is that we haven't got a way of storing electricity that's even close to the capacity of chemical fuels. :(

One of the biggest things holding back electric vehicles is the limited range caused by the total lack of fast re-charging points that are needed if the technology is ever going to take off in a big way. That or a common Battery system which can be quickly and easily swapped out at a service stations throughout the uk. Petrol is common accross ALL petrol cars but batteries are not and that is a major flaw in the current approach by the major manufacturers.

Sorry, i was under the impression that this topic was all about slagging off hybrids/diesels and their owners.

Yes to the first part, no to the second. ;) But it's back on track now thanks to all concerned so no longer an issue.

I am now more concerned that we are going to talk about Hyundai cars...

• Like 1

One of the biggest things holding back electric vehicles is the limited range caused by the total lack of fast re-charging points that are needed if the technology is ever going to take off in a big way. That or a common Battery system which can be quickly and easily swapped out at a service stations throughout the uk. Petrol is common accross ALL petrol cars but batteries are not and that is a major flaw in the current approach by the major manufacturers.

I think you're pretty much there with this one, you spend areound 5 minutes in a petrol station filling up every 3-500 miles... So if you could spend the same time swapping a flat'ish Battery for a fully charged one at around 300 miles - maybe even 200 to start with, and get the price for that to a comparable level with petrol then electric cars would indeed rule the world... Providing of course we don't let h&s make us have the ridiculous artificial engine noise :yahoo:

One concern I'd have about replaceable batteries is presumably they'd just charge up someone's spent Battery and give it to you, but there's no way of knowing what condition that Battery is as all cars will handle Battery management differently.

The Prius does an amazing job of looking after its battery (10 smegging years!! That is some kind of miracle!)

As opposed to something like the Tesla, which I imagine will totally destroy its batteries in 2 years if raced around a lot.

And then there's all the different battery formulas - In the simpest case, NiMH and LiIon are NOT compatible, and while LiIon holds more power, it's completely unsuitable for high loads (Which is why the Tesla needs umpteen thousand of them in parallel; If they had only used a few hundred the whole pack would probably explode when you put the pedal down! :lol:)

... Providing of course we don't let h&s make us have the ridiculous artificial engine noise :yahoo:

Ugh that would be horrendous - I can just see what would happen:

Before yet more legislation for it came in, you know you'd get people customizing the sounds like the old musical horns and you'd get people driving around with their cars making all sorts of stupid noises (The Pony again?) :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links