Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Alarm Problem

hydroscot

Hi, I am new to the TOC so apologies if this (and presume it has) been aired before, but I have viewed the 10 most recent topics and see no reference to the Alarm system.

My wife has just purchased a used (10 years) old MR2 roadster, new shape, loves it etc. etc.

Problem is that when she puts it to bed in the garage, the alarm goes off when the metal up & over door is lowered (or raised).

Can we adjust the sensitivity?

I have to say that we did have a similar alarm problem with a Celica, which was resolved by not storing keys or metal objects in the between seats cubby, but as there is'nt one on the MR2 we don't know where to stop!

Help please!

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Mine has done this all the time in my eight years of ownership, I wouldn't put this down to over sensitivity, more of the fact that the alarm is doing what it should do. If some scrote decided to break into your garage and the alarm sounded because of the sudden difference in air pressure/noise/movement (which is what our system does) then I would leave well alone, just click to disarm before opening the garage. :yes:

Les

Hi and welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Mine has done this all the time in my eight years of ownership, I wouldn't put this down to over sensitivity, more of the fact that the alarm is doing what it should do. If some !Removed! decided to break into your garage and the alarm sounded because of the sudden difference in air pressure/noise/movement (which is what our system does) then I would leave well alone, just click to disarm before opening the garage. :yes:

Les

Hi GIDDLEPIN,

Thanks for the pompt reply, but when you say click to disarm, presume you mean lock / unlock on the key fob?

We did try leaving the car unlocked in the garage, but the alarm still went off! Should this happen?

Regards

If you park up in the garage and don't press the Lock/Unlock button the alarm won't go off, if you press the button once this locks the doors and sets the alarm, press twice this sets the alarm and activates the deadlocks meaning you can't open the doors even from the inside (if you park anywhere with the top down), three clicks lock the door and deactivate the alarm for long term parking to save Battery drain (handy if you go on a ferry where the ships movement often activate the alarm)

If you press to unlock after locking without opening the car door your the doors will lock and the alarm will automatically reset after a few seconds.

Well, we have really learned something today: many thanks for this :thumbsup:

Since you have had your MR2 for eight years, you obviously know a lot about them. Would it be OK if I ask you personally for a few more tips on things such as wheel nut covers, or should i post on a the Forum as new subject so everyone can share?

Thanks again

Not a problem :thumbsup:

There is a hints & tips section HERE which may be of help and posting in the forum would always be better, I do work away most weeks and will see them on my mobile ;)

Les

Not a problem :thumbsup:

There is a hints & tips section HERE which may be of help and posting in the forum would always be better, I do work away most weeks and will see them on my mobile ;)

Les

Hi Les,

Have been further investigating the wheel nut situation and find that none of the nuts as fitted are lock nuts. It appears that the originals may not have been suitable when the wheels were changed. This maybe why they are do not look the part!

Since I think that the wheels should have locknuts, I need some help to identify the requirements.

The wheels are "Dream DYNAMICS" 12 spoke alloys (the tyres size is 205/501215)

Can you help with identifaction with this info?

BTW the car is badged as a TRD model: what makes this different from a "standard" model?

Thanks

The TRD Badge is freely available on eBay and the like so it may mean nothing or maybe a TRD component has been fitted like, perhaps, a spoiler?

There is an alarm sensitivity module. It may be hidden under the carpet trim that goes up to the rear luggage compartment behind the drivers seat.

The TRD badge is freely available on Ebay and the like so it may mean nothing or maybe a TRD component has been fitted like, perhaps, a spoiler?

There is an alarm sensitivity module. It may be hidden under the carpet trim that goes up to the rear luggage compartment behind the drivers seat.

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

The only item that i can see that has a TRD Badge (other than on the rear end), is on the enine oil fller cap. I really would not know if anything else is "non standard" - there is no rear spoiler!

Regarding the alarm sensitivity, we have accepted GIDDLEPIN's explanation regarding closing / opening the garage door (slowly)and have no further problems to date. But we now know where the unit is sited.

I think that I will need to remove one wheel nut and measure it to get the size for buying locknuts, unless any other member can help in this regard.

Thanks again

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links