Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smart Entry And Dead Locking

Habu

With my gen 2 to deadlock the doors I plip the remote twice. With the gen 3's smart entry how do you dead lock the doors upon locking the car? Touch the sensor twice or does it dead locks on one touch?

Cheers

Good quesrion! No idea pal... :thumbsup:

I'll have a read of the book next time I'm in the car waiting for the wife... Unless someone has their book indoors

With my gen 2 to deadlock the doors I plip the remote twice. With the gen 3's smart entry how do you dead lock the doors upon locking the car? Touch the sensor twice or does it dead locks on one touch?

Cheers

One touch locks it - two touches deadlocks it.

Cheers

One touch locks it - two touches deadlocks it.

Thanks too.

Whilst looking over a gen 3 a few days ago the salesman left me the keys so I could have a proper gander whilst he was inside working out some numbers. When I'd finished I got out (with the fob in hand) and tried, to no avail, to lock the doors despite thumbing the ribs in the handle. After 5 minutes I realised that I hadn't turned the power off! The car was still breathing. Ooops! Of course with the gen 2 if the fob is in your hand the power must be off. Lesson learnt.

When I got the Gen 3 I thought I would have trouble using the smart entry. Some folk who live in Spain told me they never use the smart entry only the key fob buttons as they have left the car unlocked on a couple of occasions. To be honest I find smart entry easy to use and no problems. I always leave it deadlocked.

i love the smart entry,have noticed though that if the fobs are next to my phone the touch lock dosent work as well and i have to have a finger and thumb top and bottom of the handle if you know what i mean.

OK, I feel embarrassed asking this, but what do you guys mean by "deadlocked"?

I have just spent a session with my Auris HSD (keyless smart entry system), manual in hand, trying to work out what it's all about.

Pressing the black button twice did nothing special as far as I could tell, and the manual (it is in Norwegian so I admit I may be missing something) doesn't mention anything other than grabbing the handle (key fob in pocket) to open the car and pressing the black button once to lock it. There is no reference to any double pressing, extra locking or anything of that sort.

Is there some hidden function which the Norwegian manual has overlooked or is this "deadlocking" just a Prius thing? :unsure:

PS: I love the whole smart entry thing too. :thumbsup:

OK, I feel embarrassed asking this, but what do you guys mean by "deadlocked"?

I have just spent a session with my Auris HSD (keyless smart entry system), manual in hand, trying to work out what it's all about.

Pressing the black button twice did nothing special as far as I could tell, and the manual (it is in Norwegian so I admit I may be missing something) doesn't mention anything other than grabbing the handle (key fob in pocket) to open the car and pressing the black button once to lock it. There is no reference to any double pressing, extra locking or anything of that sort.

Is there some hidden function which the Norwegian manual has overlooked or is this "deadlocking" just a Prius thing? :unsure:

PS: I love the whole smart entry thing too. :thumbsup:

If you just lock the car and someone smashes your glass then can lean through the window and open the door from the inside so they can sit in your car and help themselves.. If it's deadlocked they cannot open the door from inside the car. To get into the car they'd have to climb in through the window. You can test it yourself - just single lock the car (leaving a window open to represent it being smashed), learn through the window and open the car door. Now try it with the deadlocks engaged.

I presume, like my gen 2, that the gen 3 also has a different state of alarm setting for 3 plips? 1 plip = locked, 2 plips = locked and deadlocked and 3 plips = locked, deadlocked and interior alarm disabled. This allows, say a dog, to be left in the car with a window(s) slightly open without the alarm going off because something is moving around inside the car or the window is open (Yes, I know they shouldn't be left in the car for any length of time). Of course it'll still go off in this state if the boot/trunk or bonnet/hood is opened.

I presume, like my gen 2, that the gen 3 also has a different state of alarm setting for 3 plips? 1 plip = locked, 2 plips = locked and deadlocked and 3 plips = locked, deadlocked and interior alarm disabled. This allows, say a dog, to be left in the car with a window(s) slightly open without the alarm going off because something is moving around inside the car or the window is open (Yes, I know they shouldn't be left in the car for any length of time). Of course it'll still go off in this state if the boot/trunk or bonnet/hood is opened.

There's a switch on the overhead console near the interior light that switches off the intruder alarm (for dogs/kids) etc...

I don't think the Gen3 has this feature. I don't recall reading it anywhere in the Gen3 manual. There is a mechanical switch to turn off the intrusion sensor. It resets automatically so you have to operate it every time you want to cancel the intrusion sensor. If locking the car with a person or animal inside it you would switch off the intrusion sensor with the mechanical switch. The manual warns specifically against deadlocking the vehicle with anyone inside.

If I want to lock the car without setting the alarm I use the mechanical key. Without going back to the manual, I am not sure whether this is an optional setting. When I bought the car, I asked specifically about locking the car without setting the alarm because I had had trouble with a vehicle previously when using train or ferry and this was the solution described.

Incidentally, the Gen3 autolock function locks (or deadlocks) the boot as well as all four doors and can be performed by pressing the button on the boot lock.

• 2 years later...

I have an Auris Excel TS HSD with smart entry and noticed some scratches on the inside of the drivers door frame which I suspected was from someone trying to gain entry. My neighbour is ex RAC patrol man and a font of knowledge in such things so I asked his advice. He said all modern cars deadlock so using a rod to gain entry was a waste of time however I was sure I could open the door from the inside when locked. I sat inside he locked it with the handle, I unlocked it no problem. However when he locked it twice it deadlocked, you can actually hear the second lock going home. The same when you use the button twice. I can find nothing in the manual about this and wonder if it can be made to deadlock on one hit.

As an afterthought my neighbour thinks if it someone had tried to "rod it" I would see marks above the door on the outside, and there were none. I will double tap from now on though.

I presume, like my gen 2, that the gen 3 also has a different state of alarm setting for 3 plips?

I don't think the Gen3 has this feature. I don't recall reading it anywhere in the Gen3 manual. There is a mechanical switch to turn off the intrusion sensor.
Correct. The Gen3 doesn't have the 3 blip option. It is just one blip or 2 blips.

If you want to deadlock without the alarm, you have to manually turn off the intrusion detector, then do the 2 blips on the remote when you are out of the car.

I have an Auris Excel TS HSD with smart entry and noticed some scratches on the inside of the drivers door frame which I suspected was from someone trying to gain entry. My neighbour is ex RAC patrol man and a font of knowledge in such things so I asked his advice. He said all modern cars deadlock so using a rod to gain entry was a waste of time however I was sure I could open the door from the inside when locked. I sat inside he locked it with the handle, I unlocked it no problem. However when he locked it twice it deadlocked, you can actually hear the second lock going home. The same when you use the button twice. I can find nothing in the manual about this and wonder if it can be made to deadlock on one hit.

As an afterthought my neighbour thinks if it someone had tried to "rod it" I would see marks above the door on the outside, and there were none. I will double tap from now on though.

It mentions double locking in the manual on page 111, but it reads like the hybrid is not included, and if it is fitted, the car has a sticker on both the front side windows to say so.

Not in my manual Pub OM12G18E but I have found Double Locking on page 93 RHD only. I have no stickers and the cancellation does not look correct. Its nice to have but I was looking under section 3.2 not under the alarm and did not know it was called double locking. The odd thing is my RAC mate thought all new cars "deadlocked" automatically. I think my old Lexus did as I locked the wife in once, by mistake, and she was adamant she could not open the doors.

Our experience has been:

All the new cars we've had since late 1998 (ten) have had deadlocks or double-locking (all operating on a second push of the key button) from a variety of manufacturers (Nissan, Honda, Mazda, Toyota and Hyundai).

The feature where a car is unlocked, no doors are opened within a certain time period and the car automatically locks itself, doesn't operate the deadlocks.

Where a car is locked with someone inside, the person inside can open the doors.

Where a car is deadlocked with someone inside, they can't open the doors.

Our Hyundai also locks the doors automatically when the car is in motion and reaches 25-30mph.

Thanks too.

Whilst looking over a gen 3 a few days ago the salesman left me the keys so I could have a proper gander whilst he was inside working out some numbers. When I'd finished I got out (with the fob in hand) and tried, to no avail, to lock the doors despite thumbing the ribs in the handle. After 5 minutes I realised that I hadn't turned the power off! The car was still breathing. Ooops! Of course with the gen 2 if the fob is in your hand the power must be off. Lesson learnt.

On my prius plus if you take the key outside of the car whilst the power is still on it beeps loudly at you. I've found this whilst de-icing with the engine running. If you move the key out of range the beep stops though, but the engine doesn't.

I know it's been covered before but basically you can start the car and go in the house, put your keys down and drive off without the fob. The car will keep running until you turn it off, then you have a problem, the keys are at home so you can't start it again.

One way to get rid of the wife for a while ...

• Like 1

I know it's been covered before but basically you can start the car and go in the house, put your keys down and drive off without the fob. The car will keep running until you turn it off, then you have a problem, the keys are at home so you can't start it again.

Our other car is a Renault Megane II CC. It has the "handsfree key card" keyless entry/start system. On that car if you have the engine running without the key present (e.g. if the key is in your wife's handbag and you don't have yours with you like you thought you did and you drop your wife off somewhere) you have to double press the start/stop button to turn the engine off. With just one press it warns you that the card isn't present. This is a useful feature as you can't accidentally turn it off and then be stuck. Not sure if the Toyota has a similar feature.

• Like 1

If you drive off without the key in the car, the gen3 prius bleeps and displays Key Not Detetected on the MFD. But you can still drive off!

Our other car is a Renault Megane II CC. It has the "handsfree key card" keyless entry/start system. On that car if you have the engine running without the key present (e.g. if the key is in your wife's handbag and you don't have yours with you like you thought you did and you drop your wife off somewhere) you have to double press the start/stop button to turn the engine off. With just one press it warns you that the card isn't present. This is a useful feature as you can't accidentally turn it off and then be stuck. Not sure if the Toyota has a similar feature.

A good idea.

If you drive off without the key in the car, the gen3 prius bleeps and displays Key Not Detetected on the MFD. But you can still drive off!

Also a good idea, I wasn't aware of that, I'm going to have to try it with the Plus.

• 7 years later...

Just want to confirm that the deadlock will render the backup physical key unable to open the door?

Cheers!