Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2002 Rear Pads Help Required Urgent

Richie B Quick

My rear brakes have been squealing.

On removing caliper. I found the pads were stuck rock solid in the carrier- required brute force to budge. The cause for this seem to be 2 shims on what I would call the guides...made from very thin tin/steel..(coke can thickness)..These bits of folded metal were on both guides.If I remove one folded metal inserts the pads move freely but are still firm...Is this a sensible thing to do?

see attached pic.....the red arrow is with shim/guide in...the yellow where I have removed it.

post-108377-0-98452100-1304769820_thumb.

yes you can remove the shim but your brakes will knock.....remove the shims and wire brush under them then refit them..are you fitting toyota pads if not some times the black covering is too thick in which case sand it off and refit...remember and coperslip the contact points of the pads..

Ormi is right, you need to clean out the rust and crud and then copper slip them up. They should fit back on no problem then. Did the new pads come with new shims? While you are busy with the wire brush give the hub a clean up as well, where the road wheel comes into contact with it, and grease that up also. Helps when it comes to those late at night in the rain roadside wheel changes due to punctures etc.

yes you can remove the shim but your brakes will knock.....

Thanks ormi you have stopped me worrying. The fit was too tight after cleaning off the rust, so have removed the one insert.they are pagid pads and the fit is snug. I have retained the insert in case they start knocking, but all seems well.

Rich

The shims are there mainly to prevent brake squeal. It would be best to refit them. Wire brush all rust off all parts. Clean around caliper with an old toothbrush to get rid of the build up of brake dust, especially where the pads slide in. Smear lightly the back of the pads with copper grease & both sides of the shims at the contact points, as has been mentioned. Sometimes pattern parts are too thickly coated with paint to fit well.Pump brakes after fitting pads to seat-DO NOT WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE TO STOP!

Thanks Ormi, Stu and Druid,

I stripped it all back down again. Filed down rust off guides and paint off pads - reinserted shims - copper slipped. All moves much more nicely now. Thanks to everyone I hate brakes :crybaby: but pretty satisfied now :thumbsup: so thanks again

yes you can remove the shim but your brakes will knock.....

Thanks ormi you have stopped me worrying. The fit was too tight after cleaning off the rust, so have removed the one insert.they are pagid pads and the fit is snug. I have retained the insert in case they start knocking, but all seems well.

Rich

I had terrible problems with Pagid discs and pads for my Avensis T-180. They just wouldn't fit at all as the discs were to thick and so were the pads. In the end I took them back to Euro Car Parts and got a full refund. Bought some MTEC discs and Mintex pads that when straight on...

Sounds like you did a really good job. I was thinking of sorting mine out but seeing as you have the more recent experience why not pop over? I'm sure you will have them done in no time....

Sounds like you did a really good job. I was thinking of sorting mine out but seeing as you have the more recent experience why not pop over? I'm sure you will have them done in no time....

You could always pop over to me in Cardiff and I'd give you a hand. :thumbsup:

Sounds like you did a really good job.....

well nearly :lol: now reflecting on weekend spent getting parts, fitting, filing, refitting....But I think I have saved myself the garage throwing a new caliper at rusted in pads....So I think I am approx 200 quid up...

The brakes on the one side were getting a bit warm after test drive this afternoon.. (I decided to do both sides)which turned out to have same rusted in pads problem.I am hoping this is bedding in, otherwise I will need to file pad a little more next weekend. :o

but thanks again for all the advice

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links