Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Little More Bass

richard.c

Hi,

As recommended by the forum members have replaced my front Speakers with a set of Pioneer components which give a really good sound improvement while retaining the original Toyota head unit.

What I do find now I have got the clarity from the new Speakers, including a better bass sound, is that I would like just a bit more Bass as the sound can get lost at lower volumes or when travelling at higher speed.

I cannot give up all the boot to big subs and do not want it so deep / loud the whole car is booming while the fillings from my teeth drop out !

Any practical suggestion if there is an alternative way to get that bit more bass, have heard mention of 6x9s on the parcel shelf, (mines a 5 door ) or possibly the underseat subs - a cheapie seems to the the Auna Active 8".

If non of those options are realistic it seems I'm left with finding a small sub to go in the boot, again the smaller cheaper ones seem to be the Juice A8 tube , the Edge 10 and the FLI 10 actives -any one better than the others ??

Any help appreciated ...

you could try something like the vibe q bass 6x9s. they a ment to be very good. they will never beat a sub though. i think the best all in one sub and amp combos are either again the vibe stuff , mtx enclosures or the fusion 10 active enclosure :thumbsup: i have one of the fusion 10s sat in my cupboard lol was my brothers and for the ten mins he had it in the car i was very surprised with the sound until he decided his golf clubs were more important :crybaby:

Do you have a link to the speakers you bought, as I am looking for some new ones myself?

Seconded thumbsup.gif

My drivers side is dying.. so may as well upgrade both

I fitted a Fli-12 into my rolla and wished I'd got a Fli-10 now to get a bit more room. I'm still running it in so haven't been cranking it yet. I'd say it gives good 'soundstage enhancing' bass rather than rattling your panels/teeth bass, which is just what I wanted. The install was easy too, and if you want to remove it, just take out the fuse in the connector near the Battery terminal, then you can just undo with a screwdriver 3 cable terminal screws and remove 2 phono cables and its nicely out of the way - 5 min max job.

these are the ones im getting. my mate has them in his 306. they sound great can handle anything thrown at them without even the slightest difference in sound :thumbsup:

kicker

Hi,

Do you have a link to the speakers you bought, as I am looking for some new ones myself?

I got these in the Jan sales for £64 as the old 2010 model, there might be some still around in the local shops.

Easy to fit and the tweeters really do improve the clarity and sound stage, but initially take a little getting used to

Think these are their 2011 equivalents.

mr-p

you could try something like the vibe q bass 6x9s.

Can they be driven off the rear speaker wires from the Toyota h/u or is an extra amp needed ? - when fitted in the parcel shelf do the need a box on the underside ?

So I bought a G6R

I fitted a Fli-12 I'd say it gives good 'soundstage enhancing' bass rather than rattling your panels/teeth bass,]

Well that does sound like what I am after in sound terms, suppose its like anything else set it at the volume you want, rather than impressing.

thanks guys

Can they be driven off the rear speaker wires from the Toyota h/u or is an extra amp needed ? - when fitted in the parcel shelf do the need a box on the underside ?

they will work just off the head unit. better than standard but really they would need an amp to run them. nah no box needed although the parcel shelf may need a bit of strengthening

Kicker are class.

Have a kicker sub and it sounds really nice.

Infact I'd go as far as to say it sounds better than the blown JL Audio sub it replaced! :)

i have these door Speakers in mine.a zillion % better than stock ,they also match my subs :D

to the op ,you best of with underseat subs ,6x9s would need to be amped up anyway so you might aswel get the underseat sub and keep all your sound coming from the front just like in a concert .also your sound quality will improve if you change the headunit

Infact I'd go as far as to say it sounds better than the blown JL Audio sub it replaced!

I've had my JL Audio sub now for nearly 8years now, and it sounds better than any sub i've had in the past.

My sub had a rich solid sound, sometimes even a lazy tone depending on the music i'm listening too, but depending on people's setup, most i've heard of them sounds boomy even overpowering to the rest of the setup as they got it set to a louder level than the rest of the system.

HI Rich

Long time no hear...saw your post and thought...nah i have to put my 5 cents worth lol...not that i know much about subs etc...but what i do know is i have an Alpine underseat woofer...small/slim/compact/with a couple of variable controls...And i recon its the answer to your question! The bass is just perfect...i purchased it new from Halfrauds back when i had my Micra...want to install into the Rolla one of these days...Just to add i had a Sony explode sub back when i had the Carina...And the kids werent happy at all...deafening for them...so i got rid...But the underseat woofers work a treat for me. Goodluck and Takecare. :yes:

Sammy

Hi man-bing

My sub had a rich solid sound, sometimes even a lazy tone depending on the music i'm listening too, but depending on people's setup, most i've heard of them sounds boomy even overpowering to the rest of the setup as they got it set to a louder level than the rest of the system.

That was one of my concerns that a typical boot box would overpower things for my needs, plus even when discretly fitted like yours I assume you do not carry anything else in your boot or risk damaging the speaker / affecting the sound - I have to carry some work stuff in there most days when I drive and listen to the music the most.

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

but what i do know is i have an Alpine underseat woofer...small/slim/compact/with a couple of variable controls...And i recon its the answer to your question! The bass is just perfect.

Hi Sammy,

Hows you - been watching your Brace post - see you got it fitted but no comment about how the car drives with it on ? - like F1 round the corners now :yahoo: !

ps - check the torque on those strut nuts in a few days time in case they settle..

Re the Underseat Speakers - this seems to be the current Apline unit - is it like yours ?

alpine

Was in a local motor shop today and they had these Pioneer Seat Subs which the say sound great, though for the £189 they wanted I would have hoped for them to be amazing ! - seem to sell on the web for around £150 though.

pioneer

Did see this unit on the web, and American firm; seems they are selling cheap to try and capture market share - any comments /experience anyone ?

Unlike this link they are selling on eBay for around £70

FL8

Don't get me wrong man-bing my JL Audio sub was fantastic, until it blew (thanks to a friend who thought turning the sub dial to +13 was a good idea).

I loved the sound, it was rich and deep.

But the Kicker is just as good, if not better, it's not boom boom boom as I have it set to a 200hz cut off, and not turned up against the music. It just provides a gentle rumble to compliment the music.

It sounds much like the boss sub I have at home, it's just really nice!

Hi man-bing

That was one of my concerns that a typical boot box would overpower things for my needs, plus even when discretly fitted like yours I assume you do not carry anything else in your boot or risk damaging the speaker / affecting the sound - I have to carry some work stuff in there most days when I drive and listen to the music the most.

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

but what i do know is i have an Alpine underseat woofer...small/slim/compact/with a couple of variable controls...And i recon its the answer to your question! The bass is just perfect.

Hi Sammy,

Hows you - been watching your Brace post - see you got it fitted but no comment about how the car drives with it on ? - like F1 round the corners now :yahoo: !

ps - check the torque on those strut nuts in a few days time in case they settle..

Re the Underseat Speakers - this seems to be the current Apline unit - is it like yours ?

alpine

Was in a local motor shop today and they had these Pioneer Seat Subs which the say sound great, though for the £189 they wanted I would have hoped for them to be amazing ! - seem to sell on the web for around £150 though.

pioneer

Did see this unit on the web, and American firm; seems they are selling cheap to try and capture market share - any comments /experience anyone ?

FL8

Rich...

Excellent observations re.how it drives...truth is i havent taken her out for a spin today...But sure am looking forward to the drive to work tomorrow lol!

No i have the Alpine SWD 1600 underseat woofer...The one your link displays is the newer model...Same functions just a different design! I recon my model looks better and sure feels quality too.

Sammy :yahoo:

Hi man-bing

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi Sammy,

alpine

pioneer

FL8

Rich...

Excellent observations re.how it drives...truth is i havent taken her out for a spin today...But sure am looking forward to the drive to work tomorrow lol!

No i have the Alpine SWD 1600 underseat woofer...The one your link displays is the newer model...Same functions just a different design! I recon my model looks better and sure feels quality too.

Sammy :yahoo:

Oh, don't get me wrong, my boot not just for display purposes, has to get used everyday for everything and anything, so yes, my sub has been been bashed a few times, but not something i'm too fussed about, besides, if something is leaning on it, a quick turn of the volume soon moves it away :lol:

Bing

:thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong man-bing my JL Audio sub was fantastic, until it blew (thanks to a friend who thought turning the sub dial to +13 was a good idea).

But the Kicker is just as good, if not better, it's not boom boom boom as I have it set to a 200hz cut off, and not turned up against the music. It just provides a gentle rumble to compliment the music.

It sounds much like the boss sub I have at home, it's just really nice!

Trust me, my JL taken alot of bashing with what i play through it, and its still surviving, so i don't know which sub you had. My sub can handle the full +15 of sub output from the H/U, but i've got my crossover set to a lower level about 80Hz i think, and the input level is about 1/3 to 1/2 level, so perhaps thats why you popped the sub if it was on a higher level.

You need to set the H/U output level to about 3/4 full not max (eg max level is 30 set to 25),play a bassy track or test CD but becareful if you do, then at the amp input, raise from minimum level upwards to the loudest level you can handle, which should be about 1/2 way, and if you do have a crossover, the need to turn from max downwards to find the crossover level to where you get more bass than mid-range sound from the sub.

Bing

:thumbsup:

Yeah the Sub I had was something like 12vx or something like that.

Can't really remember now...

But it was about 3/4 years ago I had it, before I knew anything about car audio.

Basically I got a 6x9 and Sub deal and that was that.

The sub blew about 2 years ago.

Which is when I picked up the Kicker, it was right around the time I scrapped my fiesta and got the 'rolla.

I'd ideally like to have my LPF on 100hz, but unfortunately the amp I have allows 200hz as a minimum.

I just want to clarify I am in no way saying JL Audio are carp! I'm just saying Kicker are not to be sniffed at!

well firstly i'm glad to see that you're happy with your new Speakers and that if it was me who advised to go for pioneer then i'm doubly happy for you!

i would look at some kind of active box (sub and inbuilt amp) rather than a full setup because it will give you added thud which you're looking for but won't shake your eyes balls out.

sticking with my philosophy of only ever recommending products i've owned or heard (thus knowing what they sound like) i would recommend this active setup as a good starter. at 400w rms you can run that at minimum settings and you will get solid bass, if you ever feel like a hooligan just turning the bass up a little and trust me 400w rms can rock your socks if you ever want it to you have that option there.

not sure if that will run off a factory headunit though...pioneer headunits are available from like £70 with all the functions you could ever want and the added settings of hpf/lpf/sla/etc etc you can really dial the sound in till its exactly how u want it.

that sub was not setup correctly, it should be able to take +max on the level control without distorting or distorting moderately.

200Hz low pass? Way too high! I wouldn't recommend low pass set higher than 125Hz, because beyond this frequency you're sending the sub frequencies it's not really supposed to play. Sub bass is in the range 80Hz-25Hz, at 200Hz it's playing well into the midrange frequency you get doubling and cancellation with your components it can artificially make certain freqs in the mid sound louder or quieter depending on how the waves are.

having said that as i always say it's your setup and what matters is you like it, so who am i to tell you 200Hz is too high, lol :P

As I said back then I had no clue about audio, I just cobbled together the system with a friend using parts on got on the sly.

The amp was carp, the headunit was mega carp.

Now my audio systems sounds perfect for what I want so I'm happy.

There's a few minor tweaks to be had here and there, but for the most part I love it :thumbsup:

well firstly i'm glad to see that you're happy with your new speakers and that if it was me who advised to go for pioneer then i'm doubly happy for you!

Hi,

Yes it was you and a couple of other forum guys similar comments about the Pioneer Speakers, though advice then was a close call between which comes first a new H/U or front Speakers.

Was impressed by the sound improvement of the Pioneer A170 components over the original coax's. :thumbsup:

Thing is deciding on which type of sub, underseat or rear ? plus should I really get a better H/U before the sub ?? - had seen the Poineer DEH 2300 range but you still have to add on £50 - £70 for the adaptors, din wiring, stalk controls and fascia ; though think a 2D unit would look better, but they are another £100 on top.

Expensive call to add a bit more bass !? :unsure:

it doesn't have to be expensive though unless you are after a perfect sound quality, yeah its best to get a new head unit but it can be done without if you would like to keep the factory look and cost down. if space is a problem you could always get a slimline sub like these

sub or

sub :thumbsup:

mr-p has the right idea, i would say especially when it comes to audio my views are tinted with 1) the search for ultimate sound quality and 2) bottomless budgets lol.

in an ideal world the headunit would be replaced but if you aren't able to within budget then the factory unit will be fine. personally in terms of sound i would always be willing to sacrifice boot space for a subwoofer but you may not be able to do so. the underseat woofers are good but i don't know how well they would stand up to being booted around in the footwell if that's where you installed them. having said that i would assume they are designed with such use in mind.

out of the two mr-p linked to i would go for the kenwood sub and get a local audio shop (or do it yourself) to make a box which is to manufacturers specs or just a tad smaller. it will take up hardly any bootspace and with the amp screwed to the back of the seat i think the dent in your bootspace will be limited.