Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlights In Europe

Lupidog

Any quick fixes for a RAV4 T180 07 reg... I am taking mine to Germany from Scotland and will probably have to abide by the local laws and get my headlights to point in the right direction (no not towards Mecca). Anyone know if I have to change the whole units or can the be adjusted in some way?

Not sure on the rav4 but some model of cars have a slider switch on the light to swap the direction of the beam.

Either that or turn the adjustment screws so they point the other way as much as possible.

I did this with a landrover freelander and had no problems, with dazzling people.

Any reason why stick on beam deflectors won't work? Google that and you will get numerous hits.

Any reason why stick on beam deflectors won't work? Google that and you will get numerous hits.

That what I would do if all else fails. :thumbsup:

Any quick fixes for a RAV4 T180 07 reg... I am taking mine to Germany from Scotland and will probably have to abide by the local laws and get my headlights to point in the right direction (no not towards Mecca). Anyone know if I have to change the whole units or can the be adjusted in some way?

I used the stick-on beam benders and had no problem with them through France, Belgium, Holland, Germany and Switzerland. They did not affect the light output to any measurable degree and they seemed an effective anti-dazzle solution. I think that I paid about £6 for them from: www.wiperblades.co.uk

When you come to remove them after the trip, clean the headlamp glass ( sorry, plastic ) with panel cleaner as this makes a good job of removing the residual adhesive without attacking the plastic. :thumbsup:

Had our UK spec Rav 4.2 in Europe for a year and used electricians tape to make up a mask to the pattern given by a Toyota pattern I got printed out from the local dealer (I think there is a pdf of one on here somewhere). No worries and cost about 30p for cheap tape.

I could only comment that I've been driving around England and Scotland for the past 2 weeks in a left hand drive RAV4 with the lights turned to their lowest setting on the adjuster, no beam deflectors etc and nobody's seemed bothered.

Be careful using anything other than "proper" beam deflectors though, modern headlights can generate a lot of heat which can effectively "weld" some plastics to the headlight lenses - bet they're not cheap to replace!

Lee

I do the same as Lee, but with a UK Rav in Europe.

Appreciate it's not 'legal' but got some deflectors in the car to stick on if the police do ever get really interested.

My last car got pulled over by customs three times on French motorways and the never mentioned the lack of deflectors. I've also received numerous parking tickets and had my cars towed by the local police twice, but again no mention of lack of headlamp deflectors or absent GB sticker. I think the ferry companies over hype it all a bi as charging a fiver for a bit of sticky plastic has to be a good earner.

In my experience they seriously diminish the light output, which is why I avoid them now, but I guess it depends where you're driving - in a city environment it will be a lot less noticeable to unlit country roads.

As for solutions [at last!], if you're moving to Germany rather than just going on holiday and there isn't a switch to change the direction of the beam, it might be worth checking out the headlamp shop on eBay - he apparently sells to many of the army types there.

As for solutions [at last!], if you're moving to Germany rather than just going on holiday and there isn't a switch to change the direction of the beam, it might be worth checking out the headlamp shop on eBay - he apparently sells to many of the army types there.

Ah, if you're moving permanently that's another matter.

You can only keep a "foreign" car in another EU country for up to 6 months and during that time it must be road legal, ie, taxed and with a current MoT in its home country.

If it's staying over 6 months it must have a local test, I think its the TUV in Germany and possibly a technical inspection too (Spain insists on this) where the vehicle is certified as being to the correct manufacturers spec, and to pass that you need new, right hand dipping, headlights and sometimes the rear fog light changing, all this before you can get your car registered in the new country.

On the continent WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO MODIFY CARS from the makers spec without loadsa hassle! To fit side bars (for instance) in Spain you take your car to the dealer who's mechanic fits them, he supplies a certificate stating they are fitted in accordance with the vehicle makers specifications, the garage give you the certificate from Toyota that certifies the parts comply with EU regs etc, you then take the car to the ITV station (MoT) where the examiner checks the certificates, examines the installation and issues another certificate, you send the whole lot to Traffico with the appropriate fee and receive back a new equivalent of a log book, which we must carry in the car at all times.

ANYTHING that changes the car from standard is recorded in its log book, you cant even change your tyres from the original spec for size, type and speed rating, and a right royal PITA it is too :drool:

Lee

Another consideration is the rear fog light - where is this on a T180? If it's off-centre to the right as on my 4.2, or if only one side of the cluster is used, you'll need to swap it to the other side to pass EU re-registration requirements.

Lee is right that you're legally obligated to re-register your car in Europe after 6 months, but there are companies such as Stuart Collins (based in Wales) who offer insurance policies of 12 months fully comp in Europe on UK plated cars (and actually less expensive than a normal UK quote for me!).

I have a written note from them saying I'll also remain insured even I'd my MOT and UK road fund expire while I'm abroad, but must renew then on return to the UK (and they must also be valid to renew the insurance each year). I'd love to take advantage of this to not pay road tax, but don't know enough about the implications of SORN etc. Apologies FR veering off-topic there but the info might be of use to the OP.

Apologies for random spelling / grammar errors above, killing time on a ferry on my phone...

Apologies for random spelling / grammar errors above, killing time on a ferry on my phone...

Nice :thumbsup:

Where you to/from/between, anywhere nice

Lee

Ha, not massively, just Dover -> Dunkirk. Heading back home to the alpes after a week seeing my folks. Monsoon season just started apparently - yay! :-/

On that note, I'm thinking of re-registering this next year down at our place in the south of Spain so might have to pick your brains some time if you don't mind (France is stupidly expensive and I don't really have a permanent address). Won't start here though or the OP will lose all trace of his original query!

Ha, not massively, just Dover -> Dunkirk. Heading back home to the alpes after a week seeing my folks. Monsoon season just started apparently - yay! :-/

On that note, I'm thinking of re-registering this next year down at our place in the south of Spain so might have to pick your brains some time if you don't mind (France is stupidly expensive and I don't really have a permanent address). Won't start here though or the OP will lose all trace of his original query!

Ah right, I'm off home on Sunday, doing Portsmouth - Caen (BK can get his h/book back out of the safe) for some reason the g/f wants to spend a few days going through That France so we may be a few days, booked into Poitiers first night, then we're going to Bordeaux apparently :crybaby:

No probs with your re-reg info, you need an NIE and Residencia though.

Lee

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links