Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuelling Problem

wattfield

I've just replaced the fuel pump bracket and a rusted fuel pipe on my 96 Rav4. I went for a quick spin last night, and it seemed to run OK. Now it starts, but dies when I try to drive it, as if the pump's faulty. I'd just like to know if I've missed something before I take it all apart again! Could there be air in the system, and can it be bled through? Or is there something else I've missed?

Check the fuel filter up front in the lower engine compartment. Probably full of crap.

• Like 1

Thanks, I'll try that. Daft question - where exactly is it?!

I thought it more likely that the problem was around the pump / bracket because of the work I've just done. Petrol ran low though, so maybe it's pulled in some of the crap from the bottom of the tank?

Thanks, I'll try that. Daft question - where exactly is it?!

I thought it more likely that the problem was around the pump / bracket because of the work I've just done. Petrol ran low though, so maybe it's pulled in some of the crap from the bottom of the tank?

If it has pulled up muck from the fuel tank the fuel filler will do its job and catch the stuff. Change the filer and see how you get on :thumbsup:

I've just replaced the fuel pump bracket and a rusted fuel pipe on my 96 Rav4. I went for a quick spin last night, and it seemed to run OK. Now it starts, but dies when I try to drive it, as if the pump's faulty. I'd just like to know if I've missed something before I take it all apart again! Could there be air in the system, and can it be bled through? Or is there something else I've missed?

if you have installed all parts like a surgeon correctly then all must be in order, but now when you said "dies" what did you mean -- stalls or what??? how does it work at idle?? any vibration observed? try to bleed an air from the pump using respective bolt plug + be sure the gasket is leak proof after have it tighten. but it looks like the engine is short of fuel -- check with pump; filter + bleed air from all suction line. cheers/Igor

The engine starts, but runs a bit "lumpy", like a cold start with no choke. After a minute or less, it stalls. I can rev the engine with the accelerator, but I can't drive it - as soon as I put it in gear and let out the clutch it stalls. The fuel pump seems to be working OK, if I slacken off the banjo on top of the bracket fuel pumps out!

Any other ideas apart from the fuel filter, I'd like to try something else first as this seems like a heck of a job to replace? What about the (automatic?) choke itself? Seems a bit too much of a coincidence, but you never know!

The engine starts, but runs a bit "lumpy", like a cold start with no choke. After a minute or less, it stalls. I can rev the engine with the accelerator, but I can't drive it - as soon as I put it in gear and let out the clutch it stalls. The fuel pump seems to be working OK, if I slacken off the banjo on top of the bracket fuel pumps out!

Any other ideas apart from the fuel filter, I'd like to try something else first as this seems like a heck of a job to replace? What about the (automatic?) choke itself? Seems a bit too much of a coincidence, but you never know!

Went through this with my wife's vehicle recently. She ran the tank dry, so I re-fueled it. Would not start for anything. When I replaced the fuel filter, I disconnected the fuel line and it was pumping, but it seemed like a weak flow. Replaced the fuel pump and it started and ran just fine. Turned out the old pump was too feeble to produce enough pressure for the injectors to work.