Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yet Another Wrong Oil Saga

jackw_77

Greetings all,

Just came back from my first service. Before leaving with the stamped service book I casually asked about oil they've used and... you already know what the answer was - 5W30. When I pointed out that they used wrong oil, even showed them the relevant paragraph in the User's manual - they insisted that they used it because it can be used and the oil I want is twice as expensive. I then asked for their manager who insisted that I am wrong and they are right - the really annoying bit was when he said that I can have the oil replaced at my expense. There was not much I could do at this stage so I left telling them that I will be complaining to Toyota UK.

Just got off the phone with Toyota and they (of course) confirmed that the wrong oil was used and the dealer was wrong to say otherwise and obviously trying to charge me for changing to the right oil is not acceptable. I am now waiting for a phone call from Toyota who will speak to the dealer.

I will keep you posted.

Greetings all,

Just came back from my first service. Before leaving with the stamped service book I casually asked about oil they've used and... you already know what the answer was - 5W30. When I pointed out that they used wrong oil, even showed them the relevant paragraph in the User's manual - they insisted that they used it because it can be used and the oil I want is twice as expensive. I then asked for their manager who insisted that I am wrong and they are right - the really annoying bit was when he said that I can have the oil replaced at my expense. There was not much I could do at this stage so I left telling them that I will be complaining to Toyota UK.

Just got off the phone with Toyota and they of course confirmed that the wrong oil was used and the dealer was wrong to say otherwise and obviously trying to charge me for changing to the right oil is not acceptable. I am now waiting for a phone call from Toyota who will speak to the dealer.

I will keep you posted.

jack, note you are in Essex, what dealer/branch did you use please? There are a number of us Prius drivers in Essex and if we all boycott the dealer they may learn something!!

Greetings all,

Just got off the phone with Toyota and they of course confirmed that the wrong oil was used and the dealer was wrong to say otherwise and obviously trying to charge me for changing to the right oil is not acceptable. I am now waiting for a phone call from Toyota who will speak to the dealer.

I will keep you posted.

Please do keep us posted. It really is hard to believe that Toyota spend so much time and energy into producing these cars only for their dealers to mess them up when they are serviced.

It does nothing to encourage me to trade up to an Auris or Gen 3 hybrid, nor the Yaris hybrid when that arrives that I otherwise quite fancy.

And if the dealers can't get the oil right what else are they messing up?

David

I bought the car last May in Bishops Stortford but after I moved to Chelmsford last August I naturally decided to go to Lookers Toyota Chelmsford for the first service. They said "we use 5W30 for Prius" so it wasn't just me. Looks like all people who serviced their Prius (Priuses??? Prii???) there got the wrong oil.

I am still upset, not only because of the oil but the way they treated me.

I bought car in Bishops Stortford last May but after I moved to Chelmsford last August I naturally decided to go Lookers Toyota Chelmsford for the first service.

I am still upset, not only because of the oil but the way they treated me.

Thanks jack, I buy my Toyotas from Lookers at Rayleigh so although when asked they immediately came back with the right answer, it may be beneficial to make a call to Toyota BEFORE having the car serviced.

I know there are those that change their own oil, but that's not my bag I'm afraid.

I would take it up the the Dealer Principle, its totally unacceptable. Put it firmly in a letter to the DP and send it recorded delivery

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I would take it up the the Dealer Principle, its totally unacceptable. Put it firmly in a letter to the DP and send it recorded delivery

I think I will.

Kingo, is there an idiots guide to telling the difference? Colour or anything?

What do you mean Tone? The colour / look of the oil? or the thickness of the technicians? :D:

What do you mean Tone? The colour / look of the oil? or the thickness of the technicians? :D:

:lol: the tecchies are probably only doing what they've been told!

I mean the colour/look or even the feel of it on the dipstick...

:lol: the tecchies are probably only doing what they've been told!

I mean the colour/look or even the feel of it on the dipstick...

Exactly! The way the manager of that dealership behaved it was very clear indeed. It wasn't the technicians' choice to put the wrong oil - "because the other one is more expensive".

No it looks like any other oil I'm afraid :crybaby:

So short of buying it and putting it in ourselves (which bugger* up the service plan and which I've never been into doing) we HAVE to trust the dealer!

As with any service related work, there has to be some sort of trust. This oil saga is not a trust issue, the OP was charged for 5w30 and they didnt deny putting it in, I would be very concerned if it was the other way round where you were charged for 0w 20 and they put 5w 30 in it!

I would ask the question when you first go in "What oil do you put in it" and explain your concerns and either ask to see it go in (if its only in bulk containers) or getting the container back off them.

I do know how the original confusion started and I do blame Toyota for that, however all dealers have now been informed of the correct grade to use, I cannot believe they do not know!

As with any service related work, there has to be some sort of trust. This oil saga is not a trust issue, the OP was charged for 5w30 and they didnt deny putting it in, I would be very concerned if it was the other way round where you were charged for 0w 20 and they put 5w 30 in it!

I would ask the question when you first go in "What oil do you put in it" and explain your concerns and either ask to see it go in (if its only in bulk containers) or getting the container back off them.

I do know how the original confusion started and I do blame Toyota for that, however all dealers have now been informed of the correct grade to use, I cannot believe they do not know!

Thanks Kingo, mine is not due for it's nappy change until September, so hopefully by then all will be settled down!

Update:

The dealer phoned me and said that they will change the oil to the right one "as Toyota GB agreed to pay for it".

If Toyota agreed to pay for it than I think they shouldn't have - it's not them who are at fault here.

I doubt tht Toyota GB are paying for it, the dealer screwed up, the dealer pays, and probably got a rocket to boot!!

..... however all dealers have now been informed of the correct grade to use, I cannot believe they do not know!

Kingo :thumbs up:

Well done 'Parts-King' this is all we need - a copy or reference number to the instruction to dealers about the oil -

Then we can go to our dealers, thump the service desk and say according to "Toyota Service Directive ABC-1234 dated xx/xx/xxxx Hybrids must be replenished with 0w20 grade engine oil every service".

Please give us the references.

Terry B

Kingo, is there an idiots guide to telling the difference? Colour or anything?

The car is noticeably quieter at cold start with 5w30 than with the 0w20. With 0w20 my car doesn't sound any different after oil change but I do remember thinking how much quieter the car was in a morning when 5w30 was put in by error at the 10k service. You'll also find hesitation when the engine comes on and off - even after the car has warmed up, and power mode will be dull and flat with no power. Oh and you're mpg's will crash right down - and I mean right down :(

..... however all dealers have now been informed of the correct grade to use, I cannot believe they do not know!

Kingo :thumbs up:

Well done 'Parts-King' this is all we need - a copy or reference number to the instruction to dealers about the oil -

Then we can go to our dealers, thump the service desk and say according to "Toyota Service Directive ABC-1234 dated xx/xx/xxxx Hybrids must be replenished with 0w20 grade engine oil every service".

Please give us the references.

Terry B

I very much agree with Terry, a Toyota reference would be good.

Please.

I'm bookmarking this page. My first service will come up in a few months and I'll be on my guard :thumbsup:

I'm bookmarking this page. My first service will come up in a few months and I'll be on my guard :thumbsup:

Good idea!

why not supply your own oil,may even be cheaper a good quality oil of e bay.

supplied my own for my auris (petrol) at last service,dealer was happy withe arrangement.

Sorry to jump on the thread, but what's the lowest viscosity the Gen 2 can run on realistically?

I run Mobil 1 in my 1984 Porsche 924 and it doesn't drink a drop.

Surely us Gen 2 owners could achieve an economy gain by using a better oil?