Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yet Another Wrong Oil Saga

jackw_77

Sorry to jump on the thread, but what's the lowest viscosity the Gen 2 can run on realistically?

I run mobil 1 in my 1984 Porsche 924 and it doesn't drink a drop.

Surely us Gen 2 owners could achieve an economy gain by using a better oil?

I would suggest 0W30 as the best option, as the lower cold viscosity would improve consumption during the warm up period. However, this is not one of Toyotas recommended grades, so don't use it if there is any warranty in place.

I would not use the lighter 0W20, because there is a high risk of it being too thin, and the lubricant film breaking down.

I didn't see any improvement in mpg on my Gen 2 in the second year when Toyota's factory oil was replaced with a 0W-30 supplied by the dealer at the annual service. I'm now on 5W-30 FE oil supplied by me and my annual mpg seems to be the same regardless of viscosity.

Personally, I would save the money, and buy a 5W-30 oil that meets or exceeds all the Toyota's fuel efficiency specifications.

I had my oil changed to the correct grade after complaining to Toyota and the dealer said they think it is all hype about worse fuel consumption with 5/30W......................wrong!! I have filled up 8 time since and the consumption has improved by 6-10 MPG, so a considerable saving. I appreciate the weather has been warmer, but this is in last 3 weeks, so most of improvement is down to oil.

With my mileage, I calculate a saving of about £800 over a year, so have told dealer what I think and will be changing to another for next service!

I had my oil changed to the correct grade after complaining to Toyota and the dealer said they think it is all hype about worse fuel consumption with 5/30W.

Name and shame. It's the only way these dealers will start behaving themselves.

It doesn't matter what they "think" — Toyota have been quite explicit about which oil the car requires.

• Like 2

I've now e-mailed Sims Toyota asking for clarification as to which grade of oil they put into the Auris Hybrid. I'll let you know when I get a reply.

Mine had its 1st free service last saturday, no invoice to show which oil they put in, but I reckon they put the right oil in as a 95 mile run on Sunday returned 73.8 mpg on the trip, which is the best mpg I've had on this particular journey yet and the weather was windy and cooler than the last time.

Sounds pretty good... Did you think to ask them?

I've now e-mailed Sims Toyota asking for clarification as to which grade of oil they put into the Auris Hybrid. I'll let you know when I get a reply.

Got a reply from Sims:

"the grade of engine oil for Your Auris Hybid is 0W 20 Formula XS"

One of the good guys.

Mike

Got a reply from Sims:

"the grade of engine oil for Your Auris Hybid is 0W 20 Formula XS"

One of the good guys.

Mike

that sounds like a Mobil oil.

EDIT. looked on Mobil website and it does not mention XS.several x types.my dealer uses one of mobile 3000 range thats a X something or other.but thats not on website.but it meets all spec requirements including C2 for DPF fitted diesels.

I didn't see any improvement in mpg on my Gen 2 in the second year when Toyota's factory oil was replaced with a 0W-30 supplied by the dealer at the annual service. I'm now on 5W-30 FE oil supplied by me and my annual mpg seems to be the same regardless of viscosity.

Personally, I would save the money, and buy a 5W-30 oil that meets or exceeds all the Toyota's fuel efficiency specifications.

is that mobel FE which developed by Mobil for for ford engines but suitable for many others.

had some of morrisons ford oil made to the exact as Mobil FE.the can was marked as ford engine oil and ford oil spec number was also in large letters on the can.as i had half a 25 ltr can left over from my mondeo i rang morrisons and asked if it was ok to use in my auris 1.6 vvi and was advised it was not ideal.but may be more suited to your engine.

is that mobel FE which developed by Mobil for for ford engines but suitable for many others.

had some of morrisons ford oil made to the exact as Mobil FE.the can was marked as ford engine oil and ford oil spec number was also in large letters on the can.as i had half a 25 ltr can left over from my mondeo i rang morrisons and asked if it was ok to use in my auris 1.6 vvi and was advised it was not ideal.but may be more suited to your engine.

No, I don't think it mentioned Ford on the label as that might have cast doubt in my mind as to whether it was suitable! :)

I bought Castrol Magnatec A1 5W-30 last time although I was hoping to find some Mobil 1 5W-30 locally. The Castrol Magnatec claimed to meet ACEA A1/B1 and A5/B5 on the label and although Castrol recommends their Edge product first (I wondered if Castrol were recommending Edge only because it was more expensive? I don't know<shrug>), but because I don't do a high mileage I thought the cheaper oil would probably be fine in my case.

No, I don't think it mentioned Ford on the label as that might have cast doubt in my mind as to whether it was suitable! :)

I bought Castrol Magnatec A1 5W-30 last time although I was hoping to find some Mobil 1 5W-30 locally. The Castrol Magnatec claimed to meet ACEA A1/B1 and A5/B5 on the label and although Castrol recommends their Edge product first (I wondered if Castrol were recommending Edge only because it was more expensive? I don't know<shrug>), but because I don't do a high mileage I thought the cheaper oil would probably be fine in my case.

HI

if you go on the mobil website you see or you need to know about (not all mobil oils).although fe was made as a ford oil and ford dealers use it (bulk purchae)delivered by mobil tankes.its shows for general use now.did not know it was considered a cheaper one .i buy mobil esp 5w 30 on eBay,last time at two x 5 lte bottles at about £60 delivered.

which is a lot cheaper than most outlets.

on the mobil bottles there is no mention of ford,but ford sell it in there own bottles.

HI

if you go on the mobil website you see or you need to know about (not all mobil oils).although fe was made as a ford oil and ford dealers use it (bulk purchae)delivered by mobil tankes.its shows for general use now.did not know it was considered a cheaper one .i buy mobil esp 5w 30 on eBay,last time at two x 5 lte bottles at about £60 delivered.

which is a lot cheaper than most outlets.

on the mobil bottles there is no mention of ford,but ford sell it in there own bottles.or at least did.

mobil do several oils that are only available to motor dealers.as castrol do as well.

Update 2:

Today the dealer (Lookers Chelmsford) replaced the wrong oil with the right one - allegedly.

To wrap it all up:

- They used the wrong oil deliberately, as

- They said "5W30 is the oil they always use for Prius", and

- They would not accept that they are in the wrong or made a mistake, and

- They only offered replacing the oil after I complained with Toyota GB, and

- They did not apologize.

Truly dreadful "customer service". I have made a decision not to use them again.

Truly dreadful "customer service". I have made a decision not to use them again.

Only language they understand.

The only way we'll win this one is by voting with our wallets.

Update 2:

Today the dealer (Lookers Chelmsford) replaced the wrong oil with the right one - allegedly.

To wrap it all up:

After reading your post, i emailed Lookers at Rayleigh - my local Mr T's....

They have replied confirming they only use 0w-20 in 3rd generarion Prius and Auris.

T.

Update 2:

To wrap it all up:

They have replied confirming they only use 0w-20 in 3rd generarion Prius and Auris.

T.

Perhaps we should start a thread naming the various dealerships known to use or not use 0W 20 oil? Or at least a list somewhere.

Perhaps we should start a thread naming the various dealerships known to use or not use 0W 20 oil? Or at least a list somewhere.

Absolutely.

Update 3:

Just finished (literally) the customer service survey - you do not have to guess how I rated Lookers Chelmsford. Obviously I made it quite clear that I will not be using them again and why.

Update 2:

To wrap it all up:

T.

Seems like a very good idea.

I thought it would not happen to me as it's been a long time since the original post by Grumpy Cabbie (if I am not mistaken), so I naturally assumed that by now all the dealers know about the right oil and/or would not try to play the "oil games".

I wonder if this is the dealer my sister in South Woodham Ferrers doesn't trust - Lookers in Chelmsford.

As she doesn't trust Mr T dealers in Essex she brings their car to Cheshire for service, and visits family at the same time. Bentley's in Warrington have always been good but I don't know what they would say for oil.

I wonder if this is the dealer my sister in South Woodham Ferrers doesn't trust - Lookers in Chelmsford.

As she doesn't trust Mr T dealers in Essex she brings their car to Cheshire for service, and visits family at the same time. Bentley's in Warrington have always been good but I don't know what they would say for oil.

Must be one and the same - SWF is only a few miles away from Chelmsford.

I thought it would not happen to me as it's been a long time since the original post by Grumpy Cabbie (if I am not mistaken), so I naturally assumed that by now all the dealers know about the right oil and/or would not try to play the "oil games".

Agreed, there have been enough complaints and the cars have been around over a year now so plenty of 'first' services should have been done!

Update 2:

To wrap it all up:

T.

I have already started doing that a while ago. Please let me know of any more so that I can add to the list.

See: #13 at http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=116432&st=0

My Gen 3 is due its first service in June but still only 8000 miles....contacted my service garage Charles Clark Toyota Wolverhampton and booked service for one hour on bring and wait...checked which oil would be used and service rep said 0-20 only used for this car. No charge either because of a free three year service and 5 yrs warranty.......and just had tax disc renewed for nil........my second Prius and still loving it..........now only need do battle with car insurance:)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links