Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sump Replacement.

ChrisYar99

I just took my car down to the mechanics the other day for a routine service, only to be told he wouldn't be able to complete the service due to a rotten sump. I asked him how much it would cost for the sump replacement and he hit me with a £170 figure. I've since shopped about and found that if I buy the parts myself, a mechanic will do the work for £60 (Including the oil and filter change). He told me that the parts I would need to get together are, obviously, the sump, but also the sump gasket, as well as the filter and oil. I've had no problems finding a cheap sump on the net, and found this on eBay here. It says in the description that the sump comes with plug and washer. I can't find a sump gasket anywhere, so I'm wondering if by gasket he meant washer?

Also, regards the oil filter, I did find a very cheap one on eBay for like £2, but after a bit of research I found out it's best to stick with the brand names. There is a K&N oil filter available, and I was wondering if their oil filters are much better than anyone elses.. or who is the best brand when it comes to oil filters?

Also, how much oil will I have to purchase for a full change of oil? 4 litres or 5?

Thanks !

I just took my car down to the mechanics the other day for a routine service, only to be told he wouldn't be able to complete the service due to a rotten sump. I asked him how much it would cost for the sump replacement and he hit me with a £170 figure. I've since shopped about and found that if I buy the parts myself, a mechanic will do the work for £60 (Including the oil and filter change). He told me that the parts I would need to get together are, obviously, the sump, but also the sump gasket, as well as the filter and oil. I've had no problems finding a cheap sump on the net, and found this on eBay here. It says in the description that the sump comes with plug and washer. I can't find a sump gasket anywhere, so I'm wondering if by gasket he meant washer?

Also, regards the oil filter, I did find a very cheap one on ebay for like £2, but after a bit of research I found out it's best to stick with the brand names. There is a K&N oil filter available, and I was wondering if their oil filters are much better than anyone elses.. or who is the best brand when it comes to oil filters?

Also, how much oil will I have to purchase for a full change of oil? 4 litres or 5?

Thanks !

Hi Chris. I also have a porous sump on my Yaris and I intend to buy the one on eBay for £54.95. Apparently it is a straightforward job and there is no gasket! You just clean off the old sealant from the two mating faces with wire wool, make sure both surfaces are clean and dry and then re-apply gasket sealant. Someone recommended 'Loctite black silicone sealant' from Halfrauds for £6.50. Hope this helps. Andy.

toyota oil filter is only £5!!!!!!! toyota sealer is expensive so go to a motor factors or eBay.....and 5 lrts of oil from toyota is just as cheap if not cheaper than Halfords