Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless Entry

T600

Looking some advice on K e y l e s s e n t r y... do you love it or loathe it?

I've always been perfectly happy with a regular key and remote fob. though did have a loan car for a day with keyless and it seemed quite useful.

And often drive the other half's Honda on which you have to insert and turn the key, but then press the start button, which to me seems to be a backward step.

My real question though is how far from the car will the keyless function work. As I sometimes park the car on the drive near the house, where my keys might only be about 6 or 7 feet from the car; is there any chance that the car will be insecure in that case, or does the transponder need to be much nearer than that for the doors to open?

A big plus is that I also have a fob to open the car park at work which I can't put on my keyring as it needs to be held out of the window to operate the barrier - presumably I'll be able to keep it on the same fob as the car 'key' now and operate the barrier without the car stopping?

Thanks for any help / advice you can offer. And I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, but I had a look at quite a few threads and didn't see it. Cheers,

I don't have any experience of the Toyota keyless system, but when my brother worked for Nissan he brought a Micra home one day that had keyless entry.

We decided to see how far i could drive in the car while he had the key in his pocket, and i got over a mile away before bottling it and turning around and driving back. The car never stalled or cut out.

I think that the car should drive as long the engine is running regardless of how close the key is, because if the Battery or sensor was to go flat and break the connection, you could have problems on a motorway.

As for the range of the key from the car leaving it insecure, i have no idea on that one. Best thing to do is leave the key where it would normally be left, and try to open the car door at random times.

If it's ever open, put the keys in the farthest corner of the house from the car?

I have the T-Spirit with keyless entree and locking, along with stop/start button and I can honestly say I Friggin' love it. Until it goes wrong off course.

I find that the key fob needs to be at least 3ft or less distance away from drivers door to be able to open the car. Any more and no go.

the handbook states the fob needs to be in about 1 mtr of dood handle and that seems what ive found with mine

once car is started the fob not required.but if engine is stopped then it cant be restarted without the fob.

dont think its any advantage over a normal key other than you dont have o take it out of the pocket.

if you stall the engine,which i did a few times till i got my driving poaition sorted,you have to fiddle with the button to restart,whre with a key its far quicke to restart.when you think the old mini used to have a button start and a key,the trouble is i cant see the button or the light on it without moving my head and peering around the steering wheel.

Thanks for the info chaps.

1m should be fine for me; I don't think I could possibly leave the car closer to the keys than that without parking right up against the house.

Cheers,

Tried it now - seems it is about 1m from the driver's door which is fine for me.

System seems to work very nicely once you understand it - and the different operation of the start button, depending on whether you have your foot on or off the clutch, is neat too. I think I shall like keyless motoring.

Good old Mr T.

Must admit I like it too. To confirm, you have to be within 3 feet of the relative receiver to open the door or boot... at least on my Prius :thumbsup:

It is a very safe thing, because car can be opened just when you are very close to it, but some times the system can not work properly because of the jammers around, but is is also no problem for me...