Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Starvation/ Running Rough

DixonUK

Hey, I have had my 2001 Celica for coming up 2 years now and the first 10 Month it ran a dream. However, lately it has been running quite rough but there has been no error codes on the 3 diagnostics test I ran with 3 different garages including a toyota garage.

The problem is, when I'm driving along at any speed in any gear the car will "*****" or "hic up" as some people call it, basically i lose all power either for a split second or sometimes 1-3 seconds, but no lights come on to say there is a fault so in effect no error codes stored.

I have tried running higher octane petrol for a few tanks but that didnt really help, i have bought a new mass air flow sensor (preivous car had same sort of problem which turned out to be that), i have injector cleaner through it (redex) and still no different. I also have changed oil and air filter.

Im about to put through a redex full fuel system cleaner.

Anyone have any other ideas?

try a new fuel filter first , before using fuel system cleaner .

try fuel filter had the same problem in my celica gt4 cured it but not sure with yours...

I've asked around and no where changes them, they are lifetime filters that dont need changed I've read/ been told also, and it is, from what I've been told, a hell of a job changing them because of the filter being in the fuel tank itself.

this is all I am lead to believe im not a mechanic nor do i know alot about cars.

I was told it could be faulty injectors

what do you think? i mean i could take it to toyota and ask them to check the fuel filter but i would imagine they will charge me through the roof.

im sure the filter aint in the fuel tank that could be your fuel pump..if you follow the fuel lines from your fuel injectors you should come to a solid black tin wich has two ends.one wich comes from your tank and the other feeds to your injectors.

could be your injectors not a 100% sure best to check from a good mechanic

Celicaffilter.jpgfuel filter CTY13038 £9.31 + vat at TCB . :thumbsup:

LOOKS SOMETHING LIKE THIS --

I will check that out, the only reason i have to believe that the filter is in the tank is through this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7jw7xGnDec

It seems simple enough to do but now im slightly more concerned that whatever it is they do in that video isnt what i need to be doing.

How much are fuel injectors to replace? (if of course it is them which are the problem)

thanks for the help btw guys this problem has been driving me crazy for over a year now

The filter IS in the tank as its part of the pump assembly. It's not that hard to relpace, just a bit fiddly. Getting the hoses & connectors off & on again in the PITA part, the rest is easy.

is it likly the problem i have is a faulty fuel pump because if it is it looks to be quite expensive if it is?

your dancing in the dark here , yes it maybe fuel related , it may also be lots of other things , spark plugs , plug leads , coil pack , injector wiring loom breakdown ,blocked or coked injector, what you need to do is start at whats the cheapest things to replace first , get your self some decent injector cleaner or complete fuel system cleaner like "forte".

give it a good ragging on a motorway and see what happens .

i changed everything spark plugs,leads,dizzy,rotor arm,fuel filter, new vaccum lines the lot cost me a fortune in the end it was the fuel filter clogged up and my blitz bov not adjusted right.somtimes it could even be a small problem but wont know until you start from the cheapest first just like booster said.hopefully its an easy fix doesnt seem major just a ball ace to diagnose ..

well i got 2 second hand ignition coils and swap them over with 2 of my original then try the other 2 and nothing, iv had new spark plugs in and i have also had through redex injector cleaner and still nothing i have had it out for a good trashing on the motorway with the cleaner in and still doesnt help at all, sometimes i get quite erratic idling but not so much new since the new oil and air filter has been fitted.

I have ordered a fuel filter and will be fitting it next week as soon as it comes but atm my car is getting the alloy wheels refurbed.

if i were to mechanically disconect the injector rail but keep it wired up and turn over the car i would be able to physically see the injectors either working corrctly (spraying cone shaped fuel) or one (or more) will be either spraying less (clogged) or not at all (electrical fault) am i correct in assuming that?

all suggestions will be explored as im sh*t out of ideas :)

I have changed my fuel filter and it didnt help at all,

I'm taking it to get its injectors tested next then checking the lambda sensor.

check the egr valve is nice n clean on the inside . if it gets gummed up it can cause blips at certain revs .

Ok so, the car is going to a local garage tomorrow and he will take a look at a few things for me (free of charge :))

i suggested, EGR valve (although he is not sure where that is located), injectors, lambda sensor so hopefully something will come from this if not im running out of ideas

i will keep you updated on any progress

Redex is money down the drain, try and get a can of bg44 if your injectors or egr or fuel system is dirty this will clean them no need to remove them or drive the nuts out of it amazing results everytime hope you get sorted :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY!!!

Yesterday i was driving to pick my girlfriend up from work, just pulled off the motorway and the car loses power again like normal... and then!!! ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT!!!

Put it on a diagnositc machine today and there it was... Throtle Position Sensor!! haha

So... anyone know if this is a big job to change or how much it will cost or if it is the sensor itself or could it be the wiring breakdown?

Just wondering what is most likely