Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alternative T180 Tyre

Michelin

If I was in a position to put any tyre on my T180 what would be a good alternative to the Bridgestone.I mean a tyre thats as good if not better than the Bridgestone and one that won't break the bank otherwise might aswell just carry on with the Bridgestones.To give an idea I can get 2 bridgestones fitted inc vat for £406.00.I was hoping to get 4 good tyres for around £500 to £600. Cheers in advance.

Michelin ?????????????? :unsure:

Ye lost me there, Chas min....nearly had me asking "are Michelins not heck of a dear....?"

Then the penny dropped....it's now a 20p including interest.

Michelin.....shop around on internet, and include fitting but them removing the BSR may be the problem.

Wardude should be along (after he's fed two big dugs) with his vast experience, and Marsky has bought more tyres than the Safety Marshalls at Silverstone.

Obviously you've read the posting PINNED at top of Page 1....?

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Dogs fed so heeeeerrrrrrres Wardude

if you still have the stoopid run flats on then your choice is limited. However Tyretraders (link below) do the Brdigestone for Ravs for £143. You have to arrange fitting though which will be a bit. However if you aint got the BSR system like me, then I cant fault the Hankooks. My bro in law has them on his and swears by them. OR you could go for thre Michelin for £147 (same link below)

best thing i have ever done was get rid of the run flats. Dead simple and easy to do all the fixes including cutting the pink wire to disable the warning light on the dash. then pop a spare in the boot OR get a can of tyre gunk. No more messing around trying to get to a Toyota delaer who can change your tyres, no more damaging support rings and paying £100 to fix, No more tyre valves at £150 each. Just a normal everyday tyre which you can now get chaged at any hight street garage. Simples

http://www.tyretraders.com/tyresearchresults.aspx?width=235&ratio=55&rim=18&man=All&flat=False&filter=Price&ftype=Ascending&pricing=1&cat=All&speed=H&Loading=All&tyreType=All

I pay £80 for my Falkens, which is a pretty good tyre. Great when landing too !

I'm a bit confused with these Farking runflats !!! It seems that because they use that ring thing the sidewalls are no stiffer than a normal tyre ??

Ive had Runflats on cars before and ditched them because of the hard ride but is this the case with these tyres ?? If it is then Im getting rid !!! If it isn't and the ride will be the same then to throw away 4 nearly new tyres (All have upwards of 6 mill) will be just daft....

I have read the thread but I admit I am confused !!!!! HELP .................. :unsure:

I'm a bit confused with these Farking runflats !!! It seems that because they use that ring thing the sidewalls are no stiffer than a normal tyre ??

Ive had Runflats on cars before and ditched them because of the hard ride but is this the case with these tyres ?? If it is then Im getting rid !!! If it isn't and the ride will be the same then to throw away 4 nearly new tyres (All have upwards of 6 mill) will be just daft....

I have read the thread but I admit I am confused !!!!! HELP .................. :unsure:

The tyres do not have reinforced sidewalls the only difference in the sidewall to standard tyres is the moulded on 'Runflat' symbol to identify that the wheel will have the support 'donut' and pressure sensor inside.

Ergo the ride will be no different to 'standard' tyres.

Basically, if the tyre goes flat the 'donut' stops the tyre collapsing completely and the rim from taking the weight. It is also designed to keep the flat tyre on the wheel.

Bridgestone

See 'Changing runflats' thread at top of page. Happy reading :thumbsup:

Doh.........you've done that already

Agree with Davrav as usual, but some members have reported slight improvements in ride quality and also road noise after getting rid....may just be familiarity breeds contempt syndrome...?

Big Kev

Meant to say, Charlie....it reached my ears ages ago that this is a military application, this steel doughnut ring system, aimed at keeping damaged Landrovers moving when tyres deflated by bad folk. Wasn't really needed....the Landrovers were usually broken down anyway.....

I pay £80 for my Falkens, which is a pretty good tyre. Great when landing too !

Boffs...if they were £40.00 each, would that make them cheap at half the Falken price....?

Big Kev :shutit:

The tyres do not have reinforced sidewalls the only difference in the sidewall to standard tyres is the moulded on 'Runflat' symbol to identify that the wheel will have the support 'donut' and pressure sensor inside.

Ergo the ride will be no different to 'standard' tyres.

Basically, if the tyre goes flat the 'donut' stops the tyre collapsing completely and the rim from taking the weight. It is also designed to keep the flat tyre on the wheel.

Bridgestone

See 'Changing runflats' thread at top of page. Happy reading :thumbsup:

Doh.........you've done that already

Thanks for that !! I have just re read the whole post and a couple of the guys say that the ride was improved !!! But then that's likely the placebo effect....

I also phoned a Pall in the Midlands who owns a tyre business and He has no experience of these tyres. His way of thinking was that the tyres were the same as all the rest and had heavily reinforced side walls....

If this is definitely the case and the ride will not be improved the I suppose its daft to bin 4 tyres all nearly new .........

Charlie.

Thanks for that !! I have just re read the whole post and a couple of the guys say that the ride was improved !!! But then that's likely the placebo effect....

I also phoned a Pall in the Midlands who owns a tyre business and He has no experience of these tyres. His way of thinking was that the tyres were the same as all the rest and had heavily reinforced side walls....

If this is definitely the case and the ride will not be improved the I suppose its daft to bin 4 tyres all nearly new .........

Charlie.

No idea how much the support bands weigh but there will be a weight reduction if they are removed. Less weight bouncing up and down on poor surfaces so less for the suspension to smooth out.

That could possibly contribute to a better ride experience maybe :unsure:

Dont know Mate !! Hopefully others will help ??? Thanks........ :thumbsup:

Dont know Mate !! Hopefully others will help ??? Thanks........ :thumbsup:

Good point that weight thing....did my rear pads last week with nephew lifting wheels on and off Rav. He could not believe the weight of the wheel/tyre combination, and I explained about the BSR therein...he's a graduate engineer....the lights were on, but there was nobody in.

Oh, and he's a gymnasium freak with arms as thick as my legs....still remarked on wheel weights....

Big Kev

This has been talked about many times in the Forum, runflats. Its not the cost of the tyres, its the cost of replacing and the cost of the ring if damaged. The Bridgestone tyre is around £160. I will need 4 new tyres before the winter, Iam also looking at getting rid, if not the Rav. I gave my insurance a call, if I remove the Runflat system it will be deemed a modification from the manufactures standard equipment !! They didnt give a price as too how much more as I was only enquiring, cant see it being much but worth remembering if you do ditch the Runflats.

... I am in the same position as many of US - looking around and nothing good to find, Tyota Chelmsford qouted me 290£ per tyre, and Lookers Romford, gave me the price of 360£, because they can not be sure of the BSR condition, and even if I know they are fine, they aren't confident in that, and might brake it during the procedure probably?! So.. .can U send me the details of the garage, who's doing it for 203£per tyre, thank you !!! Anybody else who know a places with better prices than mr.T, pls write me PM, thanx in advance!

I just checked with the Stapeltons/Great Yarmouth, I've seen somebody recommended them on other posts with prices of 185£ per fitted tyre, but "de facto" the price is 232£ (344 or something like that with BSR), not to big difference. I'd pay up to 200£ per tyre, but nothing more, otherwise start thinking of angle grinder to remove it professionally myself :D and fit normal tyres, as with this prices I feel like driving a Porshe Cayennes

In light of the fact that fitting normal tyres wont improve the ride by much I'm going to carry on with these runflats until these are worn out... Then its angle grinder out and in the bin will go all the gubbins and on will go a set of normal tyres...... :thumbsup:

I actually think the ride quality isn't that bad anyway... The real problem is the state of the sodding roads !! My Jaaaaag gives a superb ride quality but then its a luxury car and not a 4WD Utility vehicle !!............. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The mobile tyre fitter has just been to my house. Cut tyres off my back wheels, cut bands off and fitted normal valves and Hankook tyres. £240. :thumbsup: Who says there isnt life after run flats

The main deciding point for me was that Toyota in Aberdeen didn't even have the machine to change the tires with BRS fitted ("it's in the post" since 2006). Sooooo I had the BRS rims removed at a cost of 70GBP and replaced the Brigestones with Dunlop SP Winter Sports 3D 235/55/18 tires. The ride is a lot better and the grip is definitely improved. Dry performance is similar to the Bridgestone and wet and winter performance is greatly improved. I would have preferred Continental Cross Contacts but they weren't available (just a preference things as I have used Continental for many years without issue).

We have performance vehicles which are attached to the road by four postcard sized pieces of rubber..... Tire cost should never be an issue, tire performance should be. There are a few good brands out there and even these brands have differing performances across their range of products. Sitting here in Celle, Germany it is compulsory to have winter tires during the winter months. It is a shame that the UK does not go down this route as we don't get the same "grind to a halt" when it's icy or snowing here, that we always used to get in the UK. But that's maybe a story for another day....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links