Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problems With W58810 Hu

BusDriver

Hi all,

I've got a problem with the W58810 head unit in my Corolla Verso. It's an 04 version.

The HU powers up and looks reasonably normal, except for the fact that it just shows a frequency instead of RDS data, there's no sound output (an initial WHHOMP from the Speakers on power up) and the CD doesn't load or play either.

This has steadily got worse to the point where it would do this on 19 occasions out of 20. On that one occasion the HU functions completely normally, until you turn the engine off and then it stops working again.

If this were simply an external loose connection, then I would assume that we would see one of these options:

- no power at all (power connector loose)

- power up and acts normal but no sound (speaker connector loose)

- no radio but CD works fine (antenna fault).

This seems a really strange problem and I've googled W58810 and didn't get much in the way of replacement units or fault finding data.

Can anyone assist with this? Anyone seen this fault before?

Thanks

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

My Grandad had the factory fitted headunit replaced twice by Toyota in the first two years of owning the car.

I've subsequently taken the headunit out and replaced it with my own might be worth doing that?

• 1 month later...

Anyone?

Hi, I have the same annoying problem, can you let me know if you have cured it, thanks, Pete

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem as described above - did anyone manage to solve it?

Thanks

• 7 months later...

Hi

Did anyone resolve this issue, I also have the same problem and wondering if I need a new unit or whether it's worth asking Toyota to investigate the problem costing £50!

• 1 year later...

Hello All, Did anyone get this fixed? Mine has just started with the same fault. Any ideas would be greatly received.

• 4 months later...

Hi Anyone who is still interested in this post.

I know its an old thread but I looked it up about a week ago as my unit developed the same fault.

After removing my head unit and messing around with it all week, trying cds in it and messing with Speakers etc etc, I couldnt get the thing to work properly and had as good as give up on it.

By pure luck, the next day when I was putting stuff in the boot, I noticed the bee sting aerial was in a bad way, with all the rubber pulled off near the bottom where it screws in, and the heavy spring below it was exposed and very wet.

Got me thinking about shorting out etc due to water getting in there, and I bought a new aerial to see if it cured the problem.

Smiles all round for me, radio now working properly, stays on and no messing about. I was considering a new head unit but was worried there was something else wrong which was putting me off was ting my money and still having the fault.

Anyway, I suggest anyone who gets this fault, screw the aerial off your mates car and put it on yours and see if the problem goes away. If it does fix things, please put it back on your mates car and go buy a new one for under a tenner and give yourself a pat on the back.

Knowledge is power, but if your like me, a little bit of luck goes a long way.

• 1 year later...

Same problem here - Solved when I replaced the aerial - Thanks to ths greatguy MrJohnWilson for his post !!!

• 2 years later...

Next problem is in the radio. After assembly of the top cover of the radio, the contacts are exposed to overheat contacts. But you need a thermal camera.

... if you do not have a thermocamera 🙂 By gentle suppression on the printed circuit you will find a cold connection 🙂

Good luck 🙂

DSC_1011a.jpg

• 11 months later...

Hi guys.

Just acquired an 04 plate. Radio issues too. Does not come on for 5-10 mins.  Once on I can listen to the radion until I try to slip a CD in. Then the whole unit shuts down for 10 mins. Then it comes back. Radio works and still it won't accept CDs. Is this a known fault or one just on mine? Any help much appreciated.  Thanks. Dave