Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

E12 Drivers Airbag Removal

burkov

Hi guys, i need help once again.

I want to check if i have the wiring for cruise control, but i have to take the airbag off.

Is there anything special?

I looked at the back of the steering wheel, but nothing comes to my mind.

There should be a hole on each side of the wheel just behind where the horn is pressed, if it's a pfl then the left hand hole is eight behind the radio controls, in there is a bolt I think it's a star drive but not sure what size. Hope this is of help mate

Thanx mate, but what is pfm?

I'm going to see the car again :)

I think it's the same set up on the face lift as well, all they did was get rid of the radio controls and put the buttons on the wheel spoke

Well just removed it, but it is with one hole under the lower middle section. There is a metal clip that needs to be pushed inside. Than the airbag pops out.

• 5 years later...
On 23/05/2011 at 8:58 PM, burkov said:

Well just removed it, but it is with one hole under the lower middle section. There is a metal clip that needs to be pushed inside. Than the airbag pops out.

Hello,

I'm currently in the situation where I'd like to remove the airbag on my 2005 Corolla TS, but I have only the single hole as mentionned, I also have the metal clip, but then I don't succeed in removing anything !

What do you have to do on the metal clip : push, pull, insert deeper the screw driver, pull harder the airbag cover.... ? 

I'm stuck right here :-(

Thanks for help

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I have the same issue with a 2007 Toyota Corolla in Sweden. Did you figure out how to remove the airbag?

IMG_0819.JPG

1 hour ago, Sarki029 said:

Hello,

I have the same issue with a 2007 Toyota Corolla in Sweden. Did you figure out how to remove the airbag?

IMG_0819.JPG

Hi,

As shown your photo, you can see a metal bar sitting between two fingers.

Inside the steering wheel cover there is a large metal clip , almost  in a  W shape that clips and retains the cover.

That metal bar is the center bottom of the whole clip.

If you get a thin flat blade driver or similar and push just the metal bar in about 20mm or so, that pushes against things internally  and the whole clip opens up and you can then carefully pull / wiggle off  the black cover.

It might take a few tries until you get the pressure right .

As said, disconnect the battery  and wait 10 mins before trying to remove or it might explode on you.

Like mine, you may well find it has the non cruise control type of assembly, and its not going to be possible to mount a cruise control switch in there at all.

If you see the last entries in Burkovs other post he shows how you can add and external switch and the wiring needed.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/125326-cruise-control-on-e12-2006-16vvti/

• Like 1

Thank you for your quick reply and sending the link, that was exactly what I have been looking for! I will try this tomorrow and see if I have any luck. Just to clarify, the bar should get pushed towards the center or the steering wheel correct? Also have you been able to successfully install cruise control on your vehicle? 

10 hours ago, Sarki029 said:

Thank you for your quick reply and sending the link, that was exactly what I have been looking for! I will try this tomorrow and see if I have any luck. Just to clarify, the bar should get pushed towards the center or the steering wheel correct? Also have you been able to successfully install cruise control on your vehicle? 

Yes that correct, just push the driver / blade straight in, needs a bit of gentle to firm  pressure.

My steering wheel is the non CC type, was thinking  about adding it on as Burkov shows, but not done so yet.

The wiring could be a problem if you are not clever with such things and it could also be a problem with the insurance should the worst happen.....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links