Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

That Engine Oil Again !

Terry953

[/size Following on from the saga of the Prius engine oil grade I decided to do some research with regards to our Auris's as they will soon be coming up for their first service and oil change [July I think for the first ones - mine is due September]. B)

I quizzed my dealer about what they would put in and they said 0W/30, a discussion ensued and I wasn't happy with their insistence about this as they dismissed 0W/20 saying that 0W/30 was a listed grade, which is true but not the preferred choice. :huh:

Next step I quizzed Toyota [PLC] Customer Service and received the following reply to-day :---

Mr Terence Baldwin Our ref 587576 dated 26 May 2011

Dear Mr Baldwin

Thank you for your email dated 24 May 2011 regarding the use of engine oil

in your Toyota Auris Hybrid.

Having referred your comments to our Technical Department they have

confirmed that OW/20 is the preferred and recommended oil to be used in

your vehicle. However they also advise that as stated in your Owners

Handbook, other grades of oil, including OW/30 are also acceptable options

and can be used. OW/30 will not cause any damage to your vehicle engine.

Ow/20 is recommended as the proffered oil choice as this will provide the

vehicle with optimum fuel efficiency. This oil is however a more expensive

oil than OW/30.

Fish Brothers Swindon are not incorrect in using OW/30 in your vehicle,

however we would have expected them to provide you with the choice as to

whether you wished to use this oil, or the recommended OW/20.

Should you wish for OW/20 to be used during your vehicle service, please

inform Fish Brothers Swindon in order that they can order this oil for you.

I trust the above has now clarified our position in this respect and will

assure you as to the service provided by the Toyota Centre.

Yours sincerely

Claire Patel

Customer Relations Executive

TOYOTA (GB) PLC

This email (which includes any attachment) is solely for the use of the

intended recipient(s). It is therefore confidential and may contain legally

privileged information. Any use of this email by any person other than the

intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. To the

fullest extent permissible by law Toyota (GB) PLC disclaims responsibility

for any loss or damage arising from the unauthorised use of this email or

from the unauthorised use of its email facilities.

I hope this will be useful, at least you could copy it and show your dealer if you encounter problems. :D

Best of Luck

Terry B

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Terry953

• Ancient Nerd

• fatboy_daveb

• Jan&tone

What a fiasco! Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence in their professionalism or customer-centredness (if there is such a word).

Will you go back? Absolutely no guarantee what they'll put in now - oil or otherwise....

That's a bit of a farce really.

You buy a hybrid for improved economy (among other reasons) so why wouldn't you want the correct oil in order to achieve that economy?

I normally provide my own oil; Prefer 5W40 to the 10W40 they normally spec for my Yaris as the engine feels a bit looser when it's cold.

Will you go back? Absolutely no guarantee what they'll put in now - oil or otherwise....

This epic has only started, I am tied into a free servicing plan for 2 years, one of the carrots when I bought the car, so I must go back.

Have written to the service manager and copied the letter to him and asked for the 0W/20 oil to be ordered as instructed.

We'll see what happens - I would not be suprised if they didn't ask me to pay extra for this 'expensive oil.' then the muck will hit the fan. :hammer:

What I find incredulous is that for the car to achieve it's advertised potential i.e.'low fuel consumption' it must have a special oil, OK, but to offer as an service option a cheaper oil that will compromise this feature is utter nonsense, I might as well as have bought a non HSD Auri in the first place. :ffs:

I will update in due course.

TerryB

What I find incredulous is that for the car to achieve it's advertised potential i.e.'low fuel consumption' it must have a special oil, OK, but to offer as an service option a cheaper oil that will compromise this feature is utter nonsense...

With you 100% on that. This doesn't seem to have sunk in with Toyota.

When your tyres wear out, make sure you get low rolling resistance tyres otherwise your mpg will go down (something else not mentioned in the book).

What I find incredulous is that for the car to achieve it's advertised potential i.e.'low fuel consumption' it must have a special oil, OK, but to offer as an service option a cheaper oil that will compromise this feature is utter nonsense, I might as well as have bought a non HSD Auri in the first place. :ffs:

TerryB

And I wonder what the legalities of this is, the fact that the VED is based on emmissions, does the thicker oil change the emissions and hence the VED rating ?

When I bought my Auris HSD, I received 5 years free service (part of the deal).

Having read the all above (and other topics), I also wonder if my sevice-station will use the the 0W20 oil.

Anyhow, I asked them on delivery which oil should be used if, for any reason I should top it up, and the answer was 0W20.

So, I am a little more confident they actualy use the wright oil for toyota hybrids.

Of course, I'll only be sure within a few months!!!

As previously discussed here, it's high time we kept a "sticky" thread to recommend dealers who know what they're doing with HSD vehicles and naming-and-shaming those who don't.

And I wonder what the legalities of this is, the fact that the VED is based on emissions, does the thicker oil change the emissions and hence the VED rating ?

YUP 'kithmo' I thought on this one, but it must have happened with Gen3 Prius already, so come on chaps, comment.

Imagine Scenario - Takes car for service & MOT - Wrong oil put in - Performs MOT incl. emission test and fails ??? because the emissions exceed the VED spec of 100 thingies for freebie road tax ect.

NOW there's a can of worms, what happens next??.

1.Do you think the unscrupulous dealer that has put cheapo oil in passes MOT anyway? [You end up with poor

performance and high consumption]

2.Do you think the unscrupulous dealer tries to con you into unnecessary work to fix this?

3.Do you think the unscrupulous dealer ? - I am sure you can think of as many scams as I can!!

Ah! the tyre thing, as long as the tyre spec conforms to makers spec, no MOT problem, but tamper with tyre alternatives at your peril is my motto. Stick with OEM to be safe regardless, otherwise you have no argument.

Cheers TerryB

And I wonder what the legalities of this is, the fact that the VED is based on emissions, does the thicker oil change the emissions and hence the VED rating ?

YUP 'kithmo' I thought on this one, but it must have happened with Gen3 Prius already, so come on chaps, comment.

Imagine Scenario - Takes car for service & MOT - Wrong oil put in - Performs MOT incl. emission test and fails ??? because the emissions exceed the VED spec of 100 thingies for freebie road tax ect.

NOW there's a can of worms, what happens next??.

...snip...

Lucky for Toyota (and us) Hybrids are currently exempt from the emissions part of the MOT.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_730.htm

Lucky for Toyota (and us) Hybrids are currently exempt from the emissions part of the MOT.

WOW! nice one timberwolf' I didn't know that.

Thanks for pukka gen and the reference.

Cheers TerryB

That's good news for modifiers, big injectors, big exhaust, turbo, supercharger, nitrous and 5 mpg it is then. :thumbsup:

BTW, as a matter of interest, can the Atkinson cycle engine be modified ?

Hi all,

Just my update to this thread. I’ve just booked my first service for my Auris HSD. I asked my dealer if they could confirm the correct oil to use in the car and was put through to the Parts Department. This is what I was told:

“You should use 0W-20 and that is what we recommend.”

“We also use 5W-30 as a secondary oil for our hybrid customers, however Toyota don’t guarantee that you will get the same MPG from this.”

“We have 0W-20 in stock.”

Service is booked for next week, so I’ll try and give an update afterwards.

Service is booked for next week, so I’ll try and give an update afterwards.

Well Done Gav 18 and thanks for contributing to this very serious thread.

Please tell us your dealer's name/location as they seem very positive/informed as to the HSD engine needs.

Your consequent MPG over a couple of regular trips after your service should confirm a result to compare to your pre-service MPG.

Cheers TerryB

have just had my first service on my Gen 3...oil used by garage the correct one and without any prompting.....and of course was well pleased because no charge due to the FREE three year service option when purchased the car:)

have just had my first service on my Gen 3...oil used by garage the correct one and without any prompting.....and of course was well pleased because no charge due to the FREE three year service option when purchased the car:)

Thanks for your input 'bobm', glad you've got a good dealer, but please all chaps do them a favour and us !!

Tell us their names - This is a name and shame situation. :arrgg-matey:

Cheers TerryB

I’ve had my car back for a few days now and so far everything is good. I’ve not noticed any performance issues that others have mentioned after having the wrong oil in, and the Eco Drive Monitor is still reporting the same levels as before its service.

My dealer is Gordon Lamb in Sheffield and so far I can’t fault their service. The car was picked up for me and brought back; it had been washed and cleaned outside and in.

I guess until I’ve gone through a couple of tanks of fuel I won’t 100% know things are running well, so I’ll report back then if there are any issues.

BTW my car is covered under a Toyota Service Plan for its first 4 services.

I’ve had my car back for a few days now and so far everything is good. I’ve not noticed any performance issues that others have mentioned after having the wrong oil in, and the Eco Drive Monitor is still reporting the same levels as before its service.

My dealer is Gordon Lamb in Sheffield and so far I can’t fault their service. The car was picked up for me and brought back; it had been washed and cleaned outside and in.

I guess until I’ve gone through a couple of tanks of fuel I won’t 100% know things are running well, so I’ll report back then if there are any issues.

BTW my car is covered under a Toyota Service Plan for its first 4 services.

Thanks for feedback Gav 18. this is just the information we need - Dealers Name - Service Quality and your post service experience.

Must say you got a good deal on the 4 services, :jawdrop: I only got 2, but I most probably will be changing it when the 3rd is due as my PCP finishes.

Cheers TerryB

• 2 weeks later...

Ha ha here we go again. Just put the Auris in for its first service and asked what oil? 'fully synthetic' was the reply. I asked what weight and 5w-30 was the reply. They do know that it should be 0w-20 but they don't have it in and it is expensive was the excuse. To be honest I don't mind as I do mostly motorway miles and need the higher heat protection that '30' gives but I find it !Removed! amazing that Toyota have lumbered their dealers with cars that require such a rare oil. If I see a big drop in mpg then I'll swap it myself for Castrol Edge 0w-30 as the proper stuff isn't readily available in the shops. Thankfully I do oil changes on my other car myself.

That said, I do fully understand why fellow owners are annoyed, and why this thread exists. And the fact is that we owners know more about hybrids than the dealers.

Anyway, I'm a happy Auris owner whose trip computer says 60mpg after 265 miles of hilly motorway driving from yesterday. And the car isn't even meant to excel there either. What a car, so take that rattlely diesel owners

Cheers

Dave

Five minutes after my previous post I got a call from the dealer saying that they got the correct oil from another branch. They must have been watching this website as I mentioned it them this morning when asking about the oil. They have been mentioned on this site by another owner when they stuck the completely wrong oil in their Prius last year. At least my dealer is doing something positive so I'm happy. And to be fair, I'm probably the first Auris hybrid they have had to service as I've only ever seen one other up here in Glasgow. And just one other on the motorway,M6, in the 9 months since purchasing the car.

Cheers

Dave

Owner Power to the fore! Nice to think dealers DO take notice after all. I'd call that a result mate!

Well all seems to well with the oil. Drove 5 miles back home to Barrhead and got the flashing Excellent sign when I switched off. Meaning that I got 65+ mpg. I'm happy.

Cheers

Dave

Five minutes after my previous post I got a call from the dealer saying that they got the correct oil from another branch. They must have been watching this website as I mentioned it them this morning when asking about the oil. They have been mentioned on this site by another owner when they stuck the completely wrong oil in their Prius last year. At least my dealer is doing something positive so I'm happy. And to be fair, I'm probably the first Auris hybrid they have had to service as I've only ever seen one other up here in Glasgow. And just one other on the motorway,M6, in the 9 months since purchasing the car.

Cheers

Dave

Brilliant result - I'm assuming they are going to change it at their expense as they c*cked up in the first place!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links