Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tns300 / Tmc Problems

GregL

Hi guys,

I posted something a little while back - but hoping someone may have some ideas!

I installed a TNS300 into my Corolla TS (Feb 2002). The unit came out of a Yaris TS, and everything was working.

So it is installed, and everything is working perfectly. However, no option is coming up for ETA/TMC. All I have is the main DVD unit installed - should there be anything extra I need, as I read on here older Yaris's reqd an extra box? I have run about 5 different Toyota dealers and nobody seems to know! The guy I bought it from is sure TMC worked - so I ripped the dash off again to have a fiddle (the guy I bought it from suggested I try connecting the rx and tx cables? - and these were definitely splti properly).

I am running out of ideas and it is soooo annoying. Does anyone have any ideas? The DVD is 2003/4, so everything seems to be up to date.

Anyone who can help would be a great help!

Cheers.

Ok - I don't have any experience of the Toyota NAV setup, although I am considering doing the same to my 2004 Corolla T-Spirit, so it will be good to know how it works out.

What experience I do have is with my last car - Bimmer 740. It had a CD based SAT Nav system.

To get it to work with TMC I had to upgrade its firmware first, then I had to use a NAV disk that was TMC based.

The TMC transmission occurs over the Classic FM waveband (100 FM??). Now some bimmers had to have their radio tuned into Classic - not too sure wether it had to be on that station, or just have Classic stored as a preset. For my old 740 it came with "Dual" tuners, so that wasn't an issue.

Don't know whether that info is any use to you or not - but if I was you I would first tune my radio into Classic FM and see it that does it. If not, then double check to make sure the disk in TMC based. Finally their maybe a firmware available to upgrade the Nav computer - but you would probably need to ask a reliable Toyota dealer about than one.

Best of luck and keep us informed as to how it goes.

Cheers

Tony

Hi thanks very much for your help so far. Unfortunately it's still not working!

I have tried all you say, tuning into classic, and checking the DVD. It is the 03/04 edition, but doesn't actually mention anything about ETA/TMC, but I have been on the phone to a few different dealers today (most who don't really have a clue!!) but they seem to think there is only one type of DVD - no choice in the matter.

My last call I spoke to quite a helpful guy. He has given me the number for a technical Toyota team, who hopefully will be able to help. My Corolla TS is Feb 2002, and he seemed to think that it may not work full stop on an old Corolla...even though it has just come out of a Yarris 03, so unless my car can't take TMC full stop (I don't see why it shouldn't!), I'm hoping this technical team may be able to help. A firmware upgrade could be a solution - I'm hoping!

I'll keep you guys up to date.

Cheers.

Best of luck.

One thing I have noticed is the TNS 300 listed as an option on a variety of Toyota cars - however not all of them list it as having ETA/TMC.

For instance:

Yaris - TNS300 GPS Navigation System

Corolla - TNS300 GPS Navigation System with Electronic Traffic Avoidance (ETA)

Have a look at their latest price list to see what I mean Toyota March 2004 Price List (PDF file)

I'm wondering if the source vehicle for the NAV computer is vital, and maybe there is a component missing if the source vehicle doesn't have it listed?? :o

That's very true. As you say, the Yaris T Sport only has TNS 300 listed, but the Corolla has TNS 300 with ETA as standard........mmmmmmmmmm! Hopefully I'll be able to find out more on Monday. Luckily he listed the TNS coming out of a Yaris with TMC/ETA, so maybe it didn't come as standard.

The manual certainly is very ambiguous with it's sections. On the first page it says "Maybe you have chosen TNS300 with the state of the art ETA-TMC option." Tons of people seem to get very confused over the matter, and there is no documentation anywhere to set the facts straight!

Cheers.

It seems that the extra module is definitely needed, whichever TNS system you have. My local dealer is looking into this more for me and should get back to me by tomorrow

Well I suppose that's good news then - at least you know your install was ok, it was just missing one component.

Keep us up to date as to how this goes. It will be interesting to find out if the extra component works with the TNS 300 and TNS 200 (CD based?), how easy it is to install and of course cost.

Light at the end of the tunnel.

Best of luck GregL.

PS . Just a thought, if the original seller advertised it as TMC/ETA enabled - maybe they still have the other component, or a contribution to the new component fund is in order ;)

Still waiting for Toyota to get back to me - I reckon he assumed TMC was there, just didn't know what it was. I will try and get some contribution! The Toyota parts guy didnt seem to think you could purchase it separately though.

The ETA is definately a separate bit of kit consisting of ECU, wiring harnesses and separate antenna. Toyota call it 'DRG' (Dynamic Route Guidance) so if your dealer is having trouble finding information on 'ETA' tell him to ask about DRG.

JIMMAC is right, its a extra tuner basically that’s fitted on top of your nav and as a tuner it indeed needs a antenna its a window patch on your rearview mirror>

It is called ETA! (Electronic Traffic Avoidance) its called DRG in Europe, kind of confusing when importing... And you do need a disc that contains the location codes TNS300 comes as std and TNS200 is available if you don't have it.

Interesting guys...thanks for that. I'll enquire about DRG - I wonder if I can purcahse that separately. I have the 2003/04 TNS300 DVD, so that should be fine.

2 different people at my local dealer said they would be calling me....none got back to me!

• 5 months later...

Hi Everyone!

I own a Toyota Corolla 1.4 and have a factory installed TNS-300 navigation system in it. My problem that I only have the 2002 DVD. I am looking for the 2004 DVD or even for the upcoming 2005 DVD that would already include Hungary as well.

Can anyone send me a copy of the 2004 DVD? Of course I would pay a reasonable price for it. The retail price is horrbile, I can't afford it.

Thanks,

Laszlo

• 2 weeks later...

Just some information: I ordered the optional TMC unit for my TNS300 and my dealer informed me that the version of the DVD should end on the number 963 or higher for supporting the TMC module. This should be the version number of the DVD of september 2003 or later. My version was of course 961 (TNS300 build into the car in march 2003) so I might send some of these guys :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: to solve the problem......

Folow up on my previous post: I got the TMC unit and the TMC antenna and even got hold on the 2004 DVD (0964). The unit can be mounted on the rear of the DVD unit and comes with a split cable to be inserted into the original cable tree. The antenna has to be mounted on the windscreen near the inside mirror. For the cable of the antenna you have to disassemble the door rubber and the plastic cover on the side of the windscreen and the cover on the doorstep to get the antenna cable under your seat where the DVD unit is positioned normally. Takes 1-2 hours to do it neatly. The system now has entries in the menu for TMC setup (on/off, TMC speech on/off) and also shows "TMC: 0" right to the sattelite number (of course the 0 can be any other number). Everything seems to be in working order so I cannot wait for the first traffic jam.... :yes:

I bought one fairly recently and it doesn't come with the ETA function which I thought it was a little strange. Perhaps I'm missing out something as it appears that I need to order additional stuff for the ETA to work.

Another issue I hope someone would be able is advise: How do we fool the DVD system into thinking that the car is always stationary??? Sometimes with a passenger, the passenger could also key in entries without the car having to stop......

• 2 weeks later...

Lets clear up some names: here in Holland the extra module for the TNS300 to turn it into a TNS300-DRG can be ordered as a TMC-module (Traffic Message Channel). To my understanding all TNS300 systems can be upgraded to a TNS300-DRG with this module AND the use of a DVD version 0963 or higher. The extra hardware contains the TMC-box, a cable set to connect it to the TNS300 base unit (the DVD box under your seat) and a indoor antenna which is mounted close to the indoor mirror on the windscreen. Do not forget to order the manual of the TNS300-DRG seperatly to have the manual for this extension! Also check your DVD version! Extra menus for setup and information will be inserted between the normal menus of your TNS300 system. It will take the TMC box some minutes to get any available traffic information from the radio signals, but due to its seperate antenna it can freely roam the radiosignals while searching without dependance on the channel you are listening to. Default is automatic searching but you can also set it manually to a specific channel through the TMC setup menu.

Hope this helps!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, just letting you know my experience.

Bought a 2003 RAV 4 in the Uk without satnav. A few months later I got the garage to retro fit the tns300-ETA system.

The manual and dvd mention ETA, but the system does not feature anywhere on the menus. i later found out that if I had the TNS300 factory fitted, it would have ETA - but the UK retro install kit does not include it. After reading this forum I have now found the part numbers (!)

PZ445-E9331-000 is the TMC/ETA Main kit (module inc wiring)

PZ445-T9281-01 is the antenna for the kit.

The suggested install time is 2hrs, and the UK part costs are 210 UKP and 61 UKP plus VAT

Good luck! - I am going to probably go ahead and let the garage fit this item.

On an entirely different note, has anyone had problems where the compass doesn't seem to work properly - always pointing in random directions?

• 2 months later...

do you have the part number the wiring loom i.e. the wire connection between the DRG unit and the TNS 300?

Folow up on my previous post: I got the TMC unit and the TMC antenna and even got hold on the 2004 DVD (0964). The unit can be mounted on the rear of the DVD unit and comes with a split cable to be inserted into the original cable tree. The antenna has to be mounted  on the windscreen near the inside mirror. For the cable of the antenna you have to disassemble the door rubber and the plastic cover on the side of the windscreen and the cover on the doorstep to get the antenna cable under your seat where the DVD unit is positioned normally. Takes 1-2 hours to do it neatly. The system now has entries in the menu for TMC setup (on/off, TMC speech on/off) and also shows "TMC: 0" right to the sattelite number (of course the 0 can be any other number).  Everything seems to be in working order so I cannot wait for the first traffic jam.... :yes:

do you have a Toyota code for the wiring loom i.e. the cable that goes from the DRG unit to the TNS 300?

Bought a 2003 RAV 4 in the Uk without satnav.  A few months later I got the garage to retro fit the tns300-ETA system.

The manual and dvd mention ETA, but the system does not feature anywhere on the menus.  i later found out that if I had the TNS300 factory fitted, it would have ETA - but the UK retro install kit does not include it.  After reading this forum I have now found the part numbers (!)

The suggested install time is 2hrs, and the UK part costs are 210 UKP and 61 UKP plus VAT

On an entirely different note, has anyone had problems where the compass doesn't seem to work properly - always pointing in random directions?

• 1 month later...

Bought a 2003 RAV 4 in the Uk without satnav.  A few months later I got the garage to retro fit the tns300-ETA system.

The manual and dvd mention ETA, but the system does not feature anywhere on the menus.  i later found out that if I had the TNS300 factory fitted, it would have ETA - but the UK retro install kit does not include it.  After reading this forum I have now found the part numbers (!)

Yes!! The compass on my Corolla tns300 points where it wants, as you say, in random directions. The Nav seems to work OK, so I'm not really concerned, it's just annoying! :ph34r:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links