Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Warning Light

wangtastic

Heyar!

I've had this warning light appear on my dash:

th_IMAG0254.jpg

now I've made a couple of changes to the car this week; adding a new induction kit and adding the alloy wheels.

I'm guessing it's probably to do with the induction kit?

The induction kit is 3" and I bought a silicone reducer to sit between the air filter and maf to make it 2.75" and tbh I've not made a good connection between the MAF and throttle body.

Also the kit has been on and off a couple of times (switched with the original air box) while I sprayed the maf pipe black.

I noticed when I had a car-full the other day it was stalling a lot, and the rev counter was bouncing on idle, also the light didn't come on for a couple of days until I was driving along the motorway...

any idea's what I should do? I know it's probably the air filter, but I dunno what to do now?

all help much appreciated as ever :)

Did you insert the 2.75" in the adapter? The maf sensor must read from a volume of 2.75" if you get what I say. Sry dont know how to express my self

TyresandInduction2011-05-27001.jpg

It's 2.75 to 3" so maybe that's the problem? (it's the blue silicone thing)

I c. I think that is the problem!! You need to insert the 2.75 thing inside the adapter of the maf sensor.

Again, I THINK the its irelevant for the sensor how much air is passing from the filter but whats the important is the reading itself for the sensor. Photo0133.jpg This way the sensor is reading from a 2.75" pipe

Its been like a month since I did mine and so far no problems.

Yeah I'm guessing that's the problem! thanks man :)

unless anyone else with any thoughts?

How can I clear the light? will it clear on it's own or do I need to go to a garage? :(

Light will not clear on it's own you need to have the error codes cleared, you will need to go to a garage.

sort it out like said above and then reset the ECU and all should be dandy. just remember to let it find its own idle the forst time you start up and then hammer it for the first few miles. this will get your ecu used to/and making the most of your new induction kit. :)

How can I clear the light? will it clear on it's own or do I need to go to a garage?

disconnecting the batterey should clear the codes :thumbsup:

Light will not clear on it's own you need to have the error codes cleared, you will need to go to a garage.

Not true.

When my girlfriend was learning to drive, she managed to fail when starting.

The engine fell out because of her bad skills (don't know the exact english name for this).

After that I also had this light glowing.

Left the corolla 2 days without driving and it had reset itself (a tip from the dealer).

Grtz

Not true.

The engine fell out because of her bad skills (don't know the exact english name for this).

Left the corolla 2 days without driving and it had reset itself (a tip from the dealer).

Grtz

The engine fell out?! Holy crap! eek.gif

She shouldn't be allowed near cars!!

:P :lol:

How can I clear the light? will it clear on it's own or do I need to go to a garage?

disconnecting the batterey should clear the codes :thumbsup:

Easier to pull the 2 blue 15a fuses from the engine bay fuse box.

You only need to pull one but i can't remember which one :lol:

Not true.

Grtz

Depends on the fault code - most ECU's should log the error code and the light will remain lit until the error codes are cleared. I have never heard of bad driving causing an error code to be thrown up but I will take your word for it.

The majority of fault codes I encounter normally relate to emissions and fueling, in this case if the error is due to the intake then if the batterey disconnection does clear it, it will be thrown up again by the intake.

On a further note how have you attached that MAF pipe to the intake pipe I can't see any jubille clip in the picture?

It's connected via a plastic jubilee type clip (the one with the screw) as you can see from the pic i've not made the best of connections, but today I am going to give it another good go. :)

Thanks all for the advice, I will attempt to fix it and let you know how I get on!

Gig-189 what did you use inside the MAF pipe?

dont worry abour the fuses mate just take the Battery off. Shouldn't really pull fuses out without disconnecting the Battery first anyways. If you have fixed the fault the eml will not come back on :)

It's connected via a plastic jubilee type clip (the one with the screw) as you can see from the pic i've not made the best of connections, but today I am going to give it another good go. :)

Thanks all for the advice, I will attempt to fix it and let you know how I get on!

Gig-189 what did you use inside the MAF pipe?

Iirc, I used 69mm pvc pipe used for plumbing drains from an ironmongery and gave it some duct tape to widen it a bit so it wont be loose in the maf adapter

Cheers guys, I tired undoing the nut on the Negative terminal but it was not budging! am I ok to use unlock fluid on it?

Cheers guys, I tired undoing the nut on the Negative terminal but it was not budging! am I ok to use unlock fluid on it?

Yes. You can undo the positive instead if it's easier. Although it's better to remove the negative if you can..

use a longer spanner haha. mine was well stiff too. had to hit the spanner with a hammer to break the fast. LOL :) take it youve not reset the ecu before then if the Battery hasnt ben undone? your gonna be pleasantly suprised by the performance you're gonna recover from dooing it. as long as you dont touch the pedal while the engine warms up and you give it some welly in the high revs for first half hour of driving! will feel a little sluggish at first but when the ECU adjusts itself to your driving style you will defo notice a response. when i first reset mine it was like having a new czr! years of eco driving had left it very 'old personish'. just be aware that youll have to re set your auto windo function by holding the buttons up and down a few times. and youl lose your radio presets and clock time..

sorry for lecture but hope it helps @D

I got the negative off :)

Thanks Sizzla, brute force did it :P

The warning light has cleared and so far so good, just waiting to see if it comes back on, but the car is performing muchhhhhhh better now! :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links