Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has Anyone Got The 1.8 Vvti Engine Which Is Fine

sibbs

out of interest has anyone got the 1.8 vvti engine which is fine performing well and not burning oil like theres no tomorrow if so what mileage thanks

out of interest has anyone got the 1.8 vvti engine which is fine performing well and not burning oil like theres no tomorrow if so what mileage thanks

i have a 2004 1.8 vvti its not burning oil i serviced it 6 months ago checked oil a few days ago it was still the same BUT

fuel economy is nothing 2 write home about

put £40 fuel in other day trip computer showed 200 miles got 230 instead

170 miles on local roads and 60 motorway mileage

im a taxi driver so it starts and stops alot :thumbsup:

i have a 2004 1.8 vvti its not burning oil i serviced it 6 months ago checked oil a few days ago it was still the same BUT

im a taxi driver so it starts and stops alot :thumbsup

ok thanks for the reply how many miles has the vehicle coverd just out of interest

ok thanks for the reply how many miles has the vehicle coverd just out of interest

its done 105000 miles

fuel economy is nothing 2 reasurwrite home about

its done 105000 miles

ok so there not all lemons then thats reasuring i really like mine its lovely to drive etc, but so many people have problems with these engines iam tempted to exchange it before anything goes wrong and its still worth a grand thanks for the reply

I have one which is fine. It's an 05 plate with about 75k. It doesn't burn any oil whatsoever between services and the fuel economy is excellent. Driving with a light foot I can achieve 52mpg or more on my daily commute (20 miles each way of mainly quiet A roads at 50-60mph). OK achieving such high consumption is as boring as watching paint dry so realistically my average is somewhere around 45mpg. Sitting on a motorway at 70-80mph I get around 40mpg.

I believe the oil burning issue was solved by around 04 plate.

Hope this helps :)

I have one which is fine. It's an 05 plate with about 75k. It doesn't burn any oil whatsoever between services and the fuel economy is excellent. Driving with a light foot I can achieve 52mpg or more on my daily commute (20 miles each way of mainly quiet A roads at 50-60mph). OK achieving such high consumption is as boring as watching paint dry so realistically my average is somewhere around 45mpg. Sitting on a motorway at 70-80mph I get around 40mpg.

I believe the oil burning issue was solved by around 04 plate.

Hope this helps :)

ah ok mine is the 2002 model i shall have to look into when the issue was resovled i have heard it has affected some 2003 models so maybe you are right and you are one of the lucky ones, and i agree that super economy style of driving is rather dull thanks for the reply

Mine is 03 plate...42k on the clock no oil eater mpg is fine(calculated by me around 44) but the computer read is awfull usualyy fill up for 30 quid and shows me range of 150 miles when i can drive around 240 or sometimes more.ut love the car

52 plate Avensis-47mpg on the motorway if driven reasonably & no oil use between oil changes. Very pleased

NEWS FLASH

Well, I was until an idiot rammed me up the back at a junction-engine only just covered 41000. It's going away to Avensis heaven on Monday!

I have a 05 1.8 VVTi, with 92,000 kilometers (Irish)(57,000 mile) presently it does not use a drop, but I am told by this forum that it is about this time that it starts to give problems. I thought that 2005 engined were OK but the mod were not started until mid 2005, My VIN No is before the mods.

The problems is over heating of the pistons on fast driving like motorways. One of the mods is to change the dipstick which has +10 mm on th Min & Max marks giving 0.5 litre extra in the enging. I am wondering if we should all do this even if it is not modified? will it help? can Toyota answer this one?

I have an '04 plate T3S 1.8VVTI and my engine gave up due to the oil burning "issue" which Toyota extended the warranty for.

It had done 60K miles when it failed.

Luckily, Toyota fixed it for me under warranty, but it was a close shave on the coverage for my car.

I wouldn't call it a "lemon", without the issue, it's a great engine.

Just be careful, check it against the VIN no's that Toyota know are affected. They are in this service bulletin available online:

LIST OF VIN No's FROM SERVICE BULLETIN

I have an '04 plate T3S 1.8VVTI and my engine gave up due to the oil burning "issue" which Toyota extended the warranty for.

Luckily, Toyota fixed it for me under warranty, but it was a close shave on the coverage for my car.

Just be careful, check it against the VIN no's that Toyota know are affected. They are in this service bulletin available online:

thankyou very helpfull i will have a look

Hi I have an 04 Avensis Tourer, it needed a new engine at 45k which was replaced under warranty (luckily!). The replacement engine has now done 45k and is absolutely fine and only requires a yearly change, although I check the levels every month as these engines can get through a lot of oil and still be within the design specs.

If there is an obvious design fault, it beats me why Toyota needs strick condition to replace it, if has a full service history or not, it still has a design fault, or why does it have to go as far as 0.5 litre per 1000 miles? it has a fault! As a retired person, I do not do a lot of miles, so it will be out of it's 7 year warranty before I find out if it has a problem.

its a bit crazy especially we are talking about toyota whom most of us assume are one of, if not the most reliable car maker out there. mine has 92000 on the clock and seems fine iam wondering if it already has a replacement engine as it seems the ones that are failing are failing before they get to 92000 also the oil is as clean as a whistle and ive never seem clean oil on a car with 92000 on the clock. i only bought into toyota because of the reliability. still wondering weather to sell it on before anything goes wrong or to take a chance and keep her hhhmmnnn !!!!

If there is an obvious design fault, it beats me why Toyota needs strick condition to replace it, if has a full service history or not, it still has a design fault, or why does it have to go as far as 0.5 litre per 1000 miles? it has a fault! As a retired person, I do not do a lot of miles, so it will be out of it's 7 year warranty before I find out if it has a problem.

you may be one of the lucky ones as i think in from april 2005 the fixed the problem so look into when and where yours was made

you may be one of the lucky ones as i think in from april 2005 the fixed the problem so look into when and where yours was made

They replace the short block engine on cars showing the issue with a unit that does not have the same issue with the valves. If your engine is one of those that is covered by the service bulletin I posted before, it might be worth your while taking it to Toyota and expressing your worry about it, especially that you feel you don't do enough miles for it to show up yet. It seems that around 40-60K miles is when it goes wrong.

I talked to Toyota head office, all they could say is that if it gives trouble, go to the dealers.

As I said previously there is 10mm increase in oil level on the modified engine. Could you feedback the length of the upper lowers marks on your dip stick, I would be interested in pre 2005 and post 2005 lengths. Mine is overall length 528mm (from where it fits in to the tube) high mark 490mm low mark 515mm.

I have put oil in mine to above the high mark, but if it is already modified I could be doubling up the high level

its a bit crazy especially we are talking about toyota whom most of us assume are one of, if not the most reliable car maker out there. mine has 92000 on the clock and seems fine iam wondering if it already has a replacement engine as it seems the ones that are failing are failing before they get to 92000 also the oil is as clean as a whistle and ive never seem clean oil on a car with 92000 on the clock. i only bought into toyota because of the reliability. still wondering weather to sell it on before anything goes wrong or to take a chance and keep her hhhmmnnn !!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 toyota avensis in the family: one produced in 2004 with 37.500 miles(60.000km) on the clock and one with 20.000 miles, produced in 2008. None of them uses any oil between changes.

I have 2 toyota avensis in the family: one produced in 2004 with 37.500 miles(60.000km) on the clock and one with 20.000 miles, produced in 2008. None of them uses any oil between changes.

you better keep an eye on the one made in 2004 i think they can start drinking between 40 and 50 thousand miles and i think very few get away with it altogether the more stories i read the more i realise this problem is accross the bored although the engine problem was sorted mid 2005

Mine is 03 Plate. No problem with the oil.

So far done 49000 miles.Gives roughly 50.8 mpg with a heavy foot on motorways.

you better keep an eye on the one made in 2004 i think they can start drinking between 40 and 50 thousand miles and i think very few get away with it altogether the more stories i read the more i realise this problem is accross the bored although the engine problem was sorted mid 2005

small number of engines had the issue show up, you make it sound as every single engine failed... relax a bit :-)

If there is a design fault, I would have thought that all engines would be affected, why only some of them? I personally think it has to do with how hard it has been driven over a long period, and how frequent the oil is changed. I cannot get to the bottom of it, what exactly is the problem?

My son who has repaired a few of these engines, say they had inferior rings and after replacing them they never had a problem.

Others say the piston was overheating causing the oilways/drains to block up.

As I previously stated, Toyota has increase the oil capacity in the sump.

Can anyone clear this up with the actual facts.