Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf Removal?

davethefish

Hi all, As an SR180 owner, I was quite recently dis-heartened to take a ride in a friend's, Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro. It wasn't the speed, power, torque (re-mapped to around 270 bhp / 600+ lb/ft), it was the MPG. After some impressive driving on country lanes, I asked "What sort of MPG does this thing normally get?"

This is where my heart sank, he replied, "About 40, 41 if I drive normally. 45 ish on a longer motorway journey." This was followed by :jawdrop::eek: and :crybaby:

I think my silence was deafening. It's a 3L V6!

He put this partly down to the re-map but mainly (getting to the point) on the removal of the DPF... He said it breathed better without it.

My friend has a business re-mapping cars, mainly for motorsport so he knows what he's talking about.

Since then, I've looked online and there are a lot of places offering DPF removal, some in tandem with re-maps / chips etc.

Already got my Racechip, Is this now the key to higher MPG for the 2.2 D4Ds?

Thoughs.

A good mate of mine does engine remapping/tuning etc, and also offers a CAT removal service, but he can't do Toyota's.

Removing the CAT is easy enough, but then you have to fool the ECU into thinking that the cat is still there, and that everything is as it should be, but the Denso ECU's fitted to our cars are encrypted very well, and cannot be remapped in any way, for power or to fool the ECU where the CAT is concerned.

Unless somebody can develop a 'plug n play' box to give the readouts of a CAT, then we are stuck with it i'm afraid.

Unless somebody can develop a 'plug n play' box to give the readouts of a CAT, then we are stuck with it i'm afraid.

Gutted! I feel something coming on... :crybaby:

Thanks for the link, i will compile an email tonight to ask about the process and see what they do about the 5th injector.

• 9 months later...

To all my friends who want there dpf removing don't try it it's waste of time I had it removed an the car went bonkers specially in winter all you b doing is wasting your money you can't remove dpf on Toyota am a machanic an it cost me loadz to put my car back to where it was an it runs like a dreame and yes dpf is back on car and ecu reflashed by Toyota

I wouldn't attempt to remove the DPF because of the aforementioned problems, but the Dual Mass Flywheel is another story . . . . . If that ever goes on mine, it'll be a different replacement. The amount manufacturers want for an OEM replacement is downright criminal ! But yes, it's a nice thought to have a D4-D that does 50 MPG because that silly DPF has been safely removed - if only !

• 2 weeks later...

My Auris D4D diesel 2.0L is showing 50.7 MPG. I reckon I am getting about 48-49 MPG.

standard car and chipped

My Auris D4D diesel 2.0L is showing 50.7 MPG. I reckon I am getting about 48-49 MPG.

standard car and chipped

When you say chipped! Does that mean by a tuning box? or have you managed to crack the encrypted Denso ECU unit?

Yep, pretty happy with mine. I'm on 58.1mpg. This particular tank is doing well. I've driven about 641 miles and with what the clock says is leftbto run, I should be hitting 720 miles. I'll double check tomorrow .....

Mines chipped too. Running 40psi in tyres....

I really don't know how you're managing to get 58 MPG - is that the computer reading or a true fill-up reading ? The absolute best I've managed with the more powerful 2.2 is 43.3 MPG on a steady 70 mph cruise - no air con or cruise control activated.

I really don't know how you're managing to get 58 MPG - is that the computer reading or a true fill-up reading ? The absolute best I've managed with the more powerful 2.2 is 43.3 MPG on a steady 70 mph cruise - no air con or cruise control activated.

Easy just drive around at 56mph, 50mph through M1 roadworks, no air con, no cruise control, tail gate trucks, nothing in the boot except spare tyre, absolutely everything I could think off to get such good mileage.

It is from the dash computer.

Before fill up I got 688 miles with 43 mile left to go. 99% of my tank was motorway driving.

Not the normal driving around I agree, but it shows with the correct, albeit boring, conditions the auris can produce good mpg....

That would certainly explain it - sitting at 56mph on a motorway is a non-starter for me. First of all it's bad enough having to do that in a truck (my job) & secondly it's not much fun having to dodge those same trucks doing exactly the same speed. So I'll quite happily trade a few MPG to shorten my journey time (legally) & have a clearer view of what's ahead :)

P.S. The nearest motorway to me is over 100 mls away, it's all congested A & B class roads - so it's virtually impossible to stick to a steady 56 mph anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Google DPF emulators

Already have. You still have to remove the DPF before the emulator tricks the ECU into thinking it is still there. Expensive and risky work if the emulator fails.