Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dipped Headlights Not Working

dransfield

Hi, I have a 2004 avensis Tourer 1.8 and both dipped headlights have suddenly stopped working, sidelights and main beam are fine, any obvious ideas such as fuses and relay (please help on the specific location of these as have not found them yet!!) before I remove the skin off my knuckles inspecting the bulbs!

• Like 1

I would place a bet that it's how both bulbs are blown. Check them first.

Amazing the number of times I have come acros this very thing.

I would place a bet that it's how both bulbs are blown. Check them first.

Amazing the number of times I have come acros this very thing.

Yep... Thats what I'd chech 1st. Had the same thing happen to my Vw Polo. Turned out that both had blown...

I've had both bulbs blown simultaneously too on a Laguna.

When bulbs are nearing the end of their specified life, they become increasingly sensitive to vibrations, shocks and voltage fluctuations in the car's electrical system.

Therefore it is not unusual for ageing headlight bulbs to fail at the exact same time.

I had that once on a Peugeot, where the left and right headlight bulbs failed on two consecutive (dark and freezing-) days. :(

Since then, when one bulb fails, I replace both sides.

At great expense to my knuckles it looks like both bulbs are fine, so more ideas welcome.

I was wrong!

Even though both bulbs looked completely fine, and because I was getting drenched trying to locate the correct fuses, I decided to buy a two new bulbs and they work fine so thank you for your advice.

Thanks Thermal for pointing me to the lighting PDF, however i found that even though it mentions the fuses and relay to troubleshoot it doesn't advise on their specific location as there are 5 fuse panels and none of them had a fuse or relay labelled the same as in the PDF (that i could see) so had it actually been a more complicated than changing the bulbs I would have been stuck

• 8 years later...

The headlight fuses are under the bonnet, in a plastic compartment just next to but behind the radiator. Underneath the plastic panel. My clutch went last week which must have caused some kind of power surge, blowing out (7) bulbs in total. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links