Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starlet Sportif Breakdown

Adam C

Hi all, my first post on this forum.

I used to drive the said car prior to getting a Yaris. It was (and is) my nana's car, was my first car. Utterly fabulous.

However last month when my dad was driving it (no one else was in the car), just getting up to speed in a National Speed zone, he suffered what he called a loss of power without any warnings, noises, smoke or fluid leaks. Couldn't see anything wrong under the bonnet. When Green Flag came out to his rescue, he said he couldn't sort it at the roadside as it appeared to be the timing belt and there's no compression in all cylinders. My dad is adament that a timing belt failure would not result in engine K/O.

So he's had the car at his mate's garage who refitted the timing belt. From what I was told, this seems to have jumped off the cam pulley (it was only changed last year). But even after refitting, there is STILL no compression within the engine. But as there were no noises (he would've heard something as the Starlet still has its original Sony radio and my dad rarely uses this), we're baffled. To add a bit of insult to injury, this was the second time in three days my dad had a car break down on him as his Corsa's fuel pump failed on the A1!

The mechanic has been real busy so hasn't been able to remove the head yet.

Anyone got any ideas here? Its the 4E-FE engine, DOHC 16v, car is a 97-98 R reg.

If the timing belt came off whilst drivimg then there would be valve damage and piston crown damage. There is no way a belt could come off and not cause damage.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links