Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 1.8 Vvti Engine

youngalistair

im thinking of buying a 2000 reg avensis vermont estate with the 1.8 vvti engine im aware there was in some cases an oil drinking problem with these engines was it just the 1.8 as im led to believe ? should i leave this car well alone what do you think?

im thinking of buying a 2000 reg avensis vermont estate with the 1.8 vvti engine im aware there was in some cases an oil drinking problem with these engines was it just the 1.8 as im led to believe ? should i leave this car well alone what do you think?

if i could spend my thousand pounds again i would leave it well alone lovely car lovely drive but if your planning on keeping it any length of time you risk a massive repair bill many of these drink oil and whilst burning the oil damage the cats and the o2 sensors if not the entire short block its only the vvti S and i think 1.8 and 2.0.

if i could spend my thousand pounds again i would leave it well alone lovely car lovely drive but if your planning on keeping it any length of time you risk a massive repair bill many of these drink oil and whilst burning the oil damage the cats and the o2 sensors if not the entire short block its only the vvti S and i think 1.8 and 2.0.

thanks i really wanted to buy this car but it does seem from all the stuff ive read that yes it has big problems back to the drawing board i guess

Since, i've been asked about this in PM, I'll also put my answer here for others to view also...

Here is an advise if you are looking at a Toyota like this, don't just walk away from it but be suspicious about it.

Have a conversation with the seller, ask him about these issues (try to read between the lines) if he says that there is no problem, ask him if he can show you some kind of evidence.

Check the service/repair history, is it well documented.

Check with his local Toyota Service workshop, they keeps record of the history about the car, ask if they can give you a print out of it (they will, if they are service minded, and not having a bad day ;) ) Here you should be able to read if the car once has been subject for oil consumption investigation, which is the normal procedure before Toyota decides if the car is qualified for lengthened-guarantee repair.

If it had, and qualified, and repaired, it should not be no problem now. But if it didn't qualified, then you know that you probably should stay away from it.

If it never been subject for mentioned investigation, it may be one of those cars which never experienced these problems, it could be safe, but you can never really tell.

Has you had a look at the car? If so, have the seller done any make over, cleaning and so on? If not check the luggage compartment if there is any oil bottles, that may indicate there is a problem.

After all it's you're decision to make but don't worry too much, because every aftermarket deal always contains a sense of gambling... some times you win :toast: , most of the times you loose... :crybaby: that's the reality :huh: .

Listen to you're initial feelings about it, they are often more reliable than you may think!

So, i'm sorry if i messed up your mind, but i'm hoping that it may help you in your decision... good luck!

/Mackan100

former Toyota-Technician, take a look at Toyota news & reviews

Since, i've been asked about this in PM, I'll also put my answer here for others to view also...

Here is an advise if you are looking at a Toyota like this, don't just walk away from it but be suspicious about it.

Have a conversation with the seller, ask him about these issues (try to read between the lines) if he says that there is no problem, ask him if he can show you some kind of evidence.

Check the service/repair history, is it well documented.

Check with his local Toyota Service workshop, they keeps record of the history about the car, ask if they can give you a print out of it (they will, if they are service minded, and not having a bad day ;) ) Here you should be able to read if the car once has been subject for oil consumption investigation, which is the normal procedure before Toyota decides if the car is qualified for lengthened-guarantee repair.

If it had, and qualified, and repaired, it should not be no problem now. But if it didn't qualified, then you know that you probably should stay away from it.

If it never been subject for mentioned investigation, it may be one of those cars which never experienced these problems, it could be safe, but you can never really tell.

Has you had a look at the car? If so, have the seller done any make over, cleaning and so on? If not check the luggage compartment if there is any oil bottles, that may indicate there is a problem.

After all it's you're decision to make but don't worry too much, because every aftermarket deal always contains a sense of gambling... some times you win :toast: , most of the times you loose... :crybaby: that's the reality :huh: .

Listen to you're initial feelings about it, they are often more reliable than you may think!

So, i'm sorry if i messed up your mind, but i'm hoping that it may help you in your decision... good luck!

/Mackan100

former Toyota-Technician, take a look at Toyota news & reviews

i can confirm with 93000 on the clock mine is a drinker of oil also it has gone halway down the dipstick in 300 miles oh dam it, was hoping i would be the lucky one oh well prepare for a show down with toyota or sell it on hhmmnnn let me think