Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Simple Ways To Gain Bhp?

Lenzo

Hi i have recently bought a 2002 1.8 16v VVTI 140 model celica and was wondering what are the best, easy and simple ways of gaining extra bhp? Any suggestions would be great.

Supercharger or Turbo kits are the only way to get decent extra power out of this engine. Basic Performance upgrades (Intake, Exhaust etc) wont make more than a couple of horse powers difference so just not worth it.

If you want more power i'd recommend selling your car and getting the 190bhp Celica T-Sport.

that would be too much power for me at the moment with insurance being hefty up around that region so was just gona look at small bhp increases!

Nitrous?

The only way to get exta power out of the 140 is to Supercharge it. You can't buy an off the shelf turbo kit for the Gen7, so it has to be fabricated.

Even if you had a 190, you can only get a max of 10-15hp increase from normal mods (exhaust, intake, cams & ECU).

Both the 140 & 190 are tuned pretty much to the max from the factory anyway. Though the 140's get closer to their book figures on a dyno. In the real world the 140 (Santa Pod proven by me) is only 1 second slower than 190's anyway!

I think the cheapest hp gain is nitrous. But it sounds like you want a smaller improvement?

Check out my SS3 Modification Update near the top of the forum and you might get some ideas..

A high flow panel filter is a start or a pod (not in the engine bay)

Shed some weight

Because your car has most of its power at high revs I would look at increasing power low down for driveability

• 2 weeks later...

The idea's on nitrous, turbos and superchargers are great ideas and a lads dream to have fitted. But, the lad has mentioned insurance costs and fitting these parts will either skyrocket your insurance or companies willnot touch you with a 10 foot barge pole. Have you considered in the meantime suspension and more handling and stopping based projects. Rather than going for a " point and shoot you could be all round quicker in and out of cornering. There is also a chipping option to engine and remapping.

• 2 weeks later...

Replace the cat,!!

Mines shot, im not expecting it to improve overall BHP, but im expecting big improvements

The idea's on nitrous, turbos and superchargers are great ideas and a lads dream to have fitted. But, the lad has mentioned insurance costs and fitting these parts will either skyrocket your insurance or companies willnot touch you with a 10 foot barge pole. Have you considered in the meantime suspension and more handling and stopping based projects. Rather than going for a " point and shoot you could be all round quicker in and out of cornering. There is also a chipping option to engine and remapping.

You were doing very well until that last sentence :)

A set of lowering Springs such as TTE's (linear) from Toyota themselves or Eibach Pro Kit (progressive) will be money well spent on a Gen 7.

Sadly, neither the VVTi or VVTi-L can be chipped/re-mapped with a standard ECU.

Scarlett arrow :- thanks for correcting me. I am unfamiliar with the vvti engine and was purely talking from previous experience with a different make of car. I feel that the springs will definitely help, good choice also

Cheers

The 140 and 190 are preety well tuned to the max from the factory. By doing any mods to improve performance, you'll need to inform your Insurance Co, so in the long run you may find it cheaper to buy and insure a 190.

adding any performance enhancements to your car should be declared and will increase your insurance premium, and if your not going to declare them anyway you would be just as well dropping a vvtli engine in and pleading ignorance as you would be lowering the car however i dont want to endorse that.

it wouldnt hurt spending 15 mins to call your insurance company and getting a few quotes for difference scenarios and mods and go from there as i find it surprising sometimes how different mods have differnt impacts on the premium

• 3 months later...

I have a Gen7 140 that i use everyday and on occasions take it out on rally events when seting up stages.

In terms of power, torque and improved response i can recommend the following:

1) Remove the weight: rear seats, spare wheel etc - But not always practical

2) I installed a Blitz panel filter - with three months of driving it has improved my mpg whilst driving on the motorway but more importantly improved driveability. Engine is happier revving up to the redline and cruises better with very little throttle.

3) I have fitted Denso Iridium Pure Power spark plugs that replaced the Bosch Super that was fitted when i bought the car. Engine response significantly improved and smoother up the rev range.

Hope that helps.

I don't need much power for the rally events im invovled in so just out of interest, here is my list of future modifications:

1) Adjustable dampers with lowered springs

2) Camber kit for upto 1.5 deg negative camber

3) 1 degree castor to improve of corner exit wheel spin

4) Possible front and rear strut brace for imporved chassis rigidity whilst on stage

Engine wise, i always use esther based oils that are very low friction.

Making sure the engine has good fresh oil in it, and all brakes are working correctly and aren't binding will help make the car run better too, a nice new air filter (mentioned above) and spark plugs (also mentioned above) too. correct tire pressures as well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links