Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Any Problems With The Rav4

stu.andrews

May have to think of changing my wheels & am thinking of a diesel RAV4 about 3-4 years old. Is there anything particular to look out for? Help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend on a 3-4 year old RAV4.

There are varying levels of spec from cloth seats, 2 headlights & a steering wheel to full on 180bhp diesel flying machines with full leather, satnav & keyless entry.

I am quite particular about my motors and have always been a petrolhead/wanted some thing with some grunt so went for the T180 which costs a good wedge in comparsion to a basic spec RAV4.

It all depends on what floats your boat as with any vehicle, if you couldn't care less about leather heated seats or a powerful diesel engine then you have plenty of choice.

As for issues I cannot speak for any thing other than the T180, the run flat system is a pain in the ar5e (buy a spare wheel if you get a T/SR180), they are a lovely machine to drive, you can buy an extended warranty for any RAV4 direct from Toyota even if you didn't buy the car from a Toyota dealer and there are some head gasket issues out there. But as with any motor there can be issues and you take your chances.

As far as I am concerned and the experience I have had since buying ours, they are another quality product to come out of Japan :thumbsup:

I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend on a 3-4 year old RAV4.

There are varying levels of spec from cloth seats, 2 headlights & a steering wheel to full on 180bhp diesel flying machines with full leather, satnav & keyless entry.

I am quite particular about my motors and have always been a petrolhead/wanted some thing with some grunt so went for the T180 which costs a good wedge in comparsion to a basic spec RAV4.

It all depends on what floats your boat as with any vehicle, if you couldn't care less about leather heated seats or a powerful diesel engine then you have plenty of choice.

As for issues I cannot speak for any thing other than the T180, the run flat system is a pain in the ar5e (buy a spare wheel if you get a T/SR180), they are a lovely machine to drive, you can buy an extended warranty for any RAV4 direct from Toyota even if you didn't buy the car from a Toyota dealer and there are some head gasket issues out there. But as with any motor there can be issues and you take your chances.

As far as I am concerned and the experience I have had since buying ours, they are another quality product to come out of Japan :thumbsup:

Agree with all of the above, XT4/XT5 would be my choice (with a good old fashioned spare on the back) very well specced esp the XT5 although harder to find, earlier ones 06/56 had a few probs, if you can stretch to a later 07/08 they had some engine improvements, Anchorman would be more specific, they are quite lively but if you want more power chipping the 140 bhp model will get you close to the T180 without the runflat problems.. :thumbsup: Stew

Good advice from Stew.

The major engine revisions came in 2009 (RAVs with chrome around the foglight) but you definitely won't get a wheel with them. I loved my 2010 RAV but the spare wheel thing was a major deciding factor in me getting rid. I had a spare lay in the boot but there was very little room for anything else.

Thanks for all your info, folks. Will chew the cud & decide what to do.

Cheers

I have a T180 with just over 40K miles and its a cracking car !! Its the only Rav I have owned and it has a massive spec. It really depends on what You want from Your car.. I wanted a good spec car that would tow My Jet Ski and would cope well if We have another winter like the last two here in Scotland as well as have good space in the rear and be a robust day to day car.. I think I chose well ! So well in fact that My main car has hardly been used since Buying The T180 !!!!

I have had many cars including lots of high spec Audi Avants and the Rav T180 is among the top 5 as a !Removed! good all round tool. It has decent performance ( For a 4WD ). Great space. Fantastic level of trim and spec and good but not the best on economy.....

Its only the second station wagon type 4WD I've had the other being a Shogun sport that was truly crap !!!!

My other car to give You a guide on how highly I rate the T180.

APRIL2011008.jpg

APRIL2011014.jpg

Thanks Charlie. No-one really knocks the RAV so-Watch this space, as they say.

Ta for all your help, everyone.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links