Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advice On New Avensis Tourer And Soucing Cars

markquinton

Hi all

I haven't been on this site for a while, in the past i've owned a Corolla Gti (great little car) and a gem of a Carlos Sainz Celica GT-Four. Just recently I've started a new job where they have offered me a company car or the allowance to get my own. I've chosen the allowance option and have been out and about looking at possible cars that will also transport my wife and 3 year old. As a result i've looked at the Mondeo, Insignia, Accord, Avensis and Passat. The Mondeo is a little too common although a good car, the insignia is too tight in the back, the same goes for the Accord unfortunately. The new passat is ok however just a bit too similar to the one before. Therefore I've found myself looking at the Avensis Tourer (or possibily the saloon if I can't convince the wife that estate cars are stylish now, she still thinks they are an old mans car).

I most definately prefer the T-Spirit out of the lot as I think the car looks much better with the 18 inch alloys and leather interior. Might have to end up with a T4 and buy the alloys seperately though if a good deal comes about. Trouble is apart from the journalist comments about how the car is bland (broken record)I'd like some opionions from owners of the new avensis if possible.

Also I have spied a lovely Aspen Grey TSpirit Tourer with panoramic sunroof on the web at Gilford Toyota however i'm miles away in Norwich. Has anyone had any experience of their local dealer sourcing a car from another dealer for them?

Thanks guys (and girls)

Mark

I purchased my 2010 t4 tourer in June last year and tried the Mondeo, Mazda 6 and Insignia before going for the Avensis.

The Mondeo is superb but I did not really like the shape as much.

The Mazda was nice but did not seem to me to be as well built as the Avensis so it was a choice in the end between the Insignia and the Toyota in the end I liked the more comfortable ride in the Avensis and once moving it seemed much quieter than the Insignia.

The choice was also helped by the superb customer service from my Toyota dealership, unfortunately for them the Vauxhall dealership almost seemed to not care if they sold me a car.

Since owning the car I have been to France twice and loved the driving experience and comfort.

If you prefer a sportier drive then the others may be better for you.

I read an article I believe in Auto Express where one of the journalists really did not want to relinquish his at the end of the cars term.

Thanks for your reply.

Has anyone else got any opinions on the new Avensis?

I might get shot down for this post! But I really dont like the look of the new Avensis. I've got the T25 T-180 estate model and in my eyes it looks nicer.

The new Honda Accord estate looks great, sleek and I think the new derv engine sound the bizz. But its each to there own. I dont think you'll beat Mr T for customer service at the end of the day though! :thumbsup:

I have got a 57 plate T180 diesel tourer bought from new, i and my wife went to view the newer like for like model on its launch into the showroom.

Even though from the cockpit it looks bigger and the rear load area is much bigger, we both gave it a thumbs down, our 57 plate came with sat nav as standard, the most off putting thing about the new avensis was the electronic hand brake as we had heard of other problems from other makes about them and the cost of repairs if they go wrong "and they do" reading some threads on here proves this point.

My vehicles still drives as new and our main dealer has bent over backwards on the few problems we have encountered, we would still like to own a landcruiser again however that would be the only other vehicle we would consider buying in the future if we changed our vehicle but at the moment our T180 is a perfect vehicle and meets all our needs, and i really do feel it may be our last motor, you can keep the electronic hand brake and any other gizmo's as we feel they are just an unexpected waste of money and not been tested well enough to prove there worth.

• Like 1

I have got a 57 plate T180 diesel tourer bought from new, i and my wife went to view the newer like for like model on its launch into the showroom.

Even though from the cockpit it looks bigger and the rear load area is much bigger, we both gave it a thumbs down, our 57 plate came with sat nav as standard, the most off putting thing about the new avensis was the electronic hand brake as we had heard of other problems from other makes about them and the cost of repairs if they go wrong "and they do" reading some threads on here proves this point.

My vehicles still drives as new and our main dealer has bent over backwards on the few problems we have encountered, we would still like to own a landcruiser again however that would be the only other vehicle we would consider buying in the future if we changed our vehicle but at the moment our T180 is a perfect vehicle and meets all our needs, and i really do feel it may be our last motor, you can keep the electronic hand brake and any other gizmo's as we feel they are just an unexpected waste of money and not been tested well enough to prove there worth.

I have to agree with you over the electric handbrake. It seems that quit a few people are having problms with them that can cost over £1000 to fix. Wouldn't like to have to pay for that after the warranty runs out. But maybe Mr T will again have to put in place an extended warranty to cover this just like the head gasket issues that can happen on the 2.2 T-180 like mine had! :crybaby:

I have to agree with you over the electric handbrake. It seems that quit a few people are having problms with them that can cost over £1000 to fix. Wouldn't like to have to pay for that after the warranty runs out. But maybe Mr T will again have to put in place an extended warranty to cover this just like the head gasket issues that can happen on the 2.2 T-180 like mine had! :crybaby:

I had my engine sorted for oil loss, however i feel it was fine but toyota being such a good company that they are did the job on extended warrantee. i can only give praise to toyota.

One word of caution on the 18 inch allows. They look very smart but tyres can become very expensive to replace when compared to the standard size wheels.

Thanks guys, I must admit there seems to be very few new Avensis owners on this site.

I will only be keeping the car for the duration of the warranty period therefore the handbrake doesn't concern me too much.

Just one more thing, has anyone got the CVT Automatic with paddle shift on the steering wheel. I've never had an automatic before but i have found that there are more of these on the market than manuals it seems therefore they must be fairly good. Anyone had any experiences?

Thanks

Mark

Thanks guys, I must admit there seems to be very few new Avensis owners on this site.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark

We have had our Toyota Avensis Tourer TR 2.0 Diesel (manual box) from new (June 2009)which we mainly purchased for towing our caravans,Due to the new model Avensis having a kerbside weight of 1,520 Kg and tows both our caravans of 1,326Kg MTPLM and the other 1,400 Kg MTPLM with no problems.

The car itself has ran fine with the main complaint being the 'push button' brake location and the service costs.

But,also in all the new cars we have had we have never had to replace 'all' the tyres at 21.000 miles (£500) or had the replace the 'rear' pads at 21.000 miles (£90), nor been told we need to change the brake fluid at 21.000 miles (£49)!

We are pensioners and the best ever fuel consumption we have had with the Avensis is 48 mpg normal, but towing is good at 33 mpg.

Will we buy another Avensis ? NO,sorry it will be back to Nissan, our last X-Trail only needed tyres changed at 42.000 miles, service intervals was every 12.000 miles (not 10.000 as Avensis), brake fluid at 36.000 miles and service costs were cheaper.

Mike

NorthCaravan.jpgSouthCaravan2.jpg

Had my company 2011 2.0D TR tourer since March and covered 6500 miles. Impressed with the car so far. Coming from two previous Vectras, the Avensis is not up to the same quality level. When cold my car has a rattle from the cntr dash vent trim and when the luggage net between the boot and back seats is up there is another rattle evident from that area. handling wise the Avensis feels stable and sure footed and as a long distance work horse I find it extremely comfortable and quiet. I have just been to Scotland and back over three days (approx 500 miles motorway and 250 miles A roads) and it returned an average fuel figure of 47.5mpg acording to the onboard computer.

The only issue I have is the fuel gauge. All the literature suggest it has a 60ltr fuel tank. Having run the tank down to showing empty and onboard computer showing 4 miles of fuel left, I only managed to squeeze 51ltrs of fuel in. It should cover 600 miles on one tank, but I find I'm filling up every 500.

Personnaly, I prefer the look of the tourer. I have the dark grey and with the tinted rear windows it looks like a more expensive car.

Mark

The build quality issues suprise me in comparison to a Vectra which I wouldn't class as a great ca. As i've always like my jap cars I guess what i'm trying to find out is whether the Avensis is a viable alternative to the Mondeo or Insignia or whether I should explore these instead.

I had a new Vectra in 2006 and no way is the build quality of the Vectra anything like on a par with the Avensis, most reviews I have read praise the build quality of the Toyota but call it dull as a drivers car.

Having said that we all have our views.

You soon get used to the electronic parking brake.

I genuinely find the car excellent in most ways, having said that should some extra coinage come my way I will be straight down to the Jag dealership ordering myself an XF.

Mondeo is definetly a better car, I've had a few on hire. As for the Vectra, they get a slating by the press. I had an SRI estate and a Design hatch over a 6 year period covering around 150000 miles between them and only had one issue. The trim and finish was far sturdyer and the 150hp diesel far smoother and economical. I tried a 160hp ecoflex Insignia tourer before opting for the Avensis, but did not like the dash and ctr console. It looked cheap and fiddly, a bit like a 90's comet own brand stereo.

If we had the Ford option in work, it would be a Mondeo for sure.