Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2 D4D T3X Head Gasket Dilemma

westsider

happy days ,, result ,, when you get back on your feet with family etc etc , sell it on

happy days ,, result ,, when you get back on your feet with family etc etc , sell it on

why?? a car he likes and now it has a brand new engine??

new engine = problem fixed for life...

Well it looks like I'll have to bring my car to a Toyota dealership in the UK after all, at least I'll get the dealership I bought the car off to do it. My mechanic contacted Toyota today who told him not to procede with working on my car as it is likely that the head cylinder and block will also have to be replaced along with the gasket, and any warranty I might have will be voided if he starts removing things. The cost of this will be between 5 and 6K. I sent an e-mail to Toyota UK last night to see where I stood, but this is starting to become a nightmare as I'm only driving the car six weeks.

Yep! I thought you'd have to do that an all. You just can't skim the head on these cars. Like Ormi said... It has to be a new block ect.

Hope all goes well :thumbsup:

you could skim the head / block

but then you may have to use an aftermarket thicker headgasket.

good luck finding one of those....no other companys make them yet

you will get....................

a new block

new shells

new thrust washers

new pistons

new rings

new head

new water pump

all gaskets

egr if needed

and two years warranty on the engine...

glad to hear you dont need to pay mate

Thanks Ormi.

Jay has had a fairly bad experience with his 2.2 Avensis, so his feeling is understandable. Hopefully I will get my car back in good shape and I can enjoy using it again.

Mr T done my head gasket , its gone again ! , thats why , the 2.2 engine is just simply no good , new or old

Mr T done my head gasket , its gone again ! , thats why , the 2.2 engine is just simply no good , new or old

Mr T done my head gasket , its gone again ! , thats why , the 2.2 engine is just simply no good , new or old , thats just my experience

Mr T done my head gasket , its gone again ! , thats why , the 2.2 engine is just simply no good , new or old , thats just my experience

I've had mine done twice now to. But I think that maybe the guy who did the 1st one hadn't done a good job, or maybe used the wrong gasket! Who knows. So I'm hoping that this one done by a Welsh boy is a good un. But fair play to Mr T spending out (In my case) over £12000 on new engines labour ect :thumbsup:

Well my head gasket problem is sorted thank God !!!!!! I SOLD THE CAR TO A SCRAP YARD FOR £2000 the way it was !! went out and bought an 1997 e300 with full service history 156k great car for £840 ,, result ,, BYE BYE TOYOTA AND TOYOAT FORUM ,, will never ever buy another Toyota again ( UNLESS ITS ONE OF THE OLD PRE D4D AVENSIS) Slan

I have a 2005 2.2 avensis estate with 86k on the clock.

I posted a few weeks ago to ask if anyone knows how common a problem the head gasket issue is, ie is it 1%, 5%, 20% etc of vehicles affected.

At that time no one was sure, but the best guess made was probably less than 5% of vehicles affected and possibly less than 1%.

In the interim I have made enquiries of my local Toyota dealers, who admit there is an issue but are unsure as to numbers (but one stated the petrol models were worse). They said that some weeks they have no 2.2s in with head gaskett problems and other weeks they get several in.

Spoken to the AA to see if their recovery data gave any clues, they flat refused to answer the question. So much for being a member for yonks.

Also contacted the website Honest John, he is not overly flattering regarding the 2.2 engine, again he could not put a figure on it.

Anyone out their managed to find a figure please? If its <1% then I'll not overly worry.

Causation, is the problem due to;

the water pump leaking, going unnoticed resulting in the coolant leveldropping and the engine being overheated;

the 2.0 being overbored to a 2.2 causing an intrinsic problem;

driving style ?

I've taken to driving mine very gently as aprecaution as I can't afford an engine problem at this time.

Looking at autotrader there doesn't seem to be many 2.2s for sale with very high mileages, or is it just to early for them to have clocked 150k plus.

Any thougts anyone ?

Well my head gasket problem is sorted thank God !!!!!! I SOLD THE CAR TO A SCRAP YARD FOR £2000 the way it was !! went out and bought an 1997 e300 with full service history 156k great car for £840 ,, result ,, BYE BYE TOYOTA AND TOYOAT FORUM ,, will never ever buy another Toyota again ( UNLESS ITS ONE OF THE OLD PRE D4D AVENSIS) Slan

Not bitter then!

Not bitter then!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lets hope you enjoy the E300 then Sian... You never know you may be on another site with similar problems! But lets hope not!...

Well yes a bit bitter , when expected to pay out a fortune and lose months of income as im a taxi driver , but im over it , there should be a recall on these cars , it is a common fault , i was one of the first to report it over 2 years ago and was laughed at , now it seems everyone knows of the 2.2 head gasket dilemna ,, in my experience signs to look out for are ,,, first heater does not blow hot air , if its blowing cold , check expansion tank and fill with coolant , gurgling noise coming from behind the glove box , probably a blockage , white condensation spots on the engine cover , first time the gasket went there was no change on the temperature gauge and no visible sign of oil in the expansion tank , second time it went , heater stopped blowing hot air and within a day , radiator and pipes full of oil and temperature going through the roof , this is my experience , its funny when you give your experience of a totyota car on here so that someday your bad expereince may turn out to help someone else ,you get shot down for it do they not understand that taxi men are experienceing the problems now that they will down the years to come ,die hard toyota fans who refuse to acknowledge that since these cars have been built in England the standard has gone way down , toyotas where a great car , the turbo diesel pre dad where some of the best engines ever , very rarely stop and are still very expensive to buy , so im not anti Toyota , im just being a honest Toyota ownwer and thank you Mistermina for wishing me luck

• Like 1

since these cars have been built in England the standard has gone way down

the 2.2 D4D engine in my car is Polish built (but lord knows where the castings etc. came from) & presumably still designed in Japan?

These days as long as you work to set quality standards it doesn't matter where a car is built.

since these cars have been built in England the standard has gone way down

the 2.2 D4D engine in my car is Polish built (but lord knows where the castings etc. came from) & presumably still designed in Japan?

These days as long as you work to set quality standards it doesn't matter where a car is built.

very true.these days most engines are built by computer controlled machinary.

Of course it matters where the car is built , Germany and Japan for years have leaded the way in build technology

Oh and i stand corrected the New Polish plant and new workers did build the D4D , it opened in 2005 , new plant, inexperienced workers hmmmmmmmmmm pattern here !!!

Oh and i stand corrected the New Polish plant and new workers did build the D4D , it opened in 2005 , new plant, inexperienced workers hmmmmmmmmmm pattern here !!!

I think you're being a little to harsh on the Polish work force tbh. The plant would have had all the training that any other in order to comply with Toyota's World wide quality control. All vehicle manufactures suffer with issues regarding certain products, be it engines gearboxs ect. But Toyota has approched these issues head on and stood by there customers! I don't think you'll find the likes of Ford doing the same in a month of Sundays...

Of course it matters where the car is built , Germany and Japan for years have leaded the way in build technology

which they transfer - the UK Japanese "transplant" factories rate very highly as does Mini, Seat's (& probably Skoda) factories have rated higher than their VW parents & why then in the 90s did Mercedes reputation drop drastically when using the same German factories & workers as before?

(Hint: it's the engineering not the assembly)

& yes, imo Toyota have dealt with the 2.2D4D situation quite well - but I wouldn't be surprised if that's because their parts supplier is paying at least a good chunk of the cost ;)

• Like 1

Toyota reputation for reliabilty has taken a nose dive this last few years , Toyota has sold millions of cars in the past because they had a reputation for being a reliable Japenese car , before when you mentioned the name Toyota , first thing you heard was reliabilty , now if you mention Toyota first thing you hear is that standard has gone way downhill , and unfortunatly with all the recalls of different models and the common faults in engines like the vvti leaking oil and very high oil consumption and the D4d gasket problems and injector faults and common clutch failures , its easy to see why , im not anti Toyota i think the 1.9td avensis was the best car ever made , bulletproof , unfortunatley they dont make them like that any more , Toyota good car for sunday driving , but for a workhorse , no way , Audi Skoda Vw or Merc all the way , I found Toyota customer care terrible , in fact im still waiting on my work sheet for my gasket and injector changes since 2009 !!!

Toyota reputation for reliabilty has taken a nose dive this last few years , Toyota has sold millions of cars in the past because they had a reputation for being a reliable Japenese car , before when you mentioned the name Toyota , first thing you heard was reliabilty , now if you mention Toyota first thing you hear is that standard has gone way downhill , and unfortunatly with all the recalls of different models and the common faults in engines like the vvti leaking oil and very high oil consumption and the D4d gasket problems and injector faults and common clutch failures , its easy to see why , im not anti Toyota i think the 1.9td avensis was the best car ever made , bulletproof , unfortunatley they dont make them like that any more , Toyota good car for sunday driving , but for a workhorse , no way , Audi Skoda Vw or Merc all the way , I found Toyota customer care terrible , in fact im still waiting on my work sheet for my gasket and injector changes since 2009 !!!

" im not anti Toyota i think the 1.9td avensis was the best car ever made" ,

Not forgetting the Carina I hope an even better car in my opinion! :yes:

Being honest I think you have a right to be angry with Toyota due to your bad experience especially when it is your workhorse and means of earning a living. You are also correct mentioning cars from a past era on which Toyota built up their reputation but ..... as mentioned other manufacturers have gone the same way and don't respond as well as with warranty claims at least in England anyway.

I have a brother who has lived in the Irish republic for 30 years and as a long term Toyota owner he has always said if he wanted spares or repairs Northern Ireland dealers were always better and I find that quite bad as people in the south have been Toyotas best customer through the 80's 90's and early 2000's. I guess Toyota sales in the Republic have dropped dramatically in recent times so they should learn a lesson from this.

My brother ....... well he's driving a BMW 320d right now ;).

Good luck with the Merc mate it's one of the well built ones so you will be fine .... Pete.

Thanks Pete , appreciate that ,,, ps i have a taxi driver friend in Belfast and his last 3 taxis have been Carina's !!! they may be small and odd looking ,, but unstoppable

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links