Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Got Some Money That Needs Spending.. Who Wants To Help?

ChrisRuffell

Right!!

iv got about £1500ish saved up to spend on my car..

really cant decide what to do first!!

some has got to go on getting my t sport boot hatch sprayed from red to grey..

what shall i spend the rest on??

custom cat back exhaust system??

springs??

any fun performance mods (baring in mind i have to use this car every day so i dont fancy it doing 10mpg and needing an oil change every month haha)

Depends if you want to go down the styling route or power route ,I don't no what you have done so far so I'll presume its standard ,get a custom air intake ,any custome exhaust place shud be able to knock one up (its only bendy pipe after all) stick the biggest filter u can fir on the other end , while your there get a custome exhaust ,if your brave try getting it decatted .

Get some lowering springs

Sort out the audio

HID kit

Strut brace

Some sort of piggy back ecu if you can get one 2nd hand on the cheap

So far iv got a k&n cone filter

Front strut

Hid lights

T sport spioiler

And a double din DVD player built Into my dash!

Will I have major issues getting an MOT without a cat?

Technically you wouldn't pass the MoT,but that wouldn't be my main worry ,itl be the fact you will most probably cause the MiL light to come on

Dont think I'm gonna mess about with that then... Possibly a high flow cat system??

I would keep the £1500, wait... and then buy a new one.

All those mods you can do won't make much difference to performance on a 1.4

As nrgizerbunny bunny said not much point spending it all on 1.4, save it up for a tsport? or style it up, youve got the spoiler maybe a backbox like the tte and say tsport bumper? remember you will have to tell insurance about the mods so expect to pay a premium there too.

Right!!

I've got about £1500ish saved up to spend on my car.. really cant decide what to do first!!

I know that feeling :thumbsup:

Would love a t sport but I'm only 19 and my insurance Is 1400 a year as it is... I dont even want to know what a t sport insurance would cost me ...

Would love a t sport but I'm only 19 and my insurance Is 1400 a year as it is... I dont even want to know what a t sport insurance would cost me ...

Bah try having "GTi" in the name of your car at 17! :P :lol:

KP

when i replied yesterday i was on my fone ,automatically thought you had a t-sport

like these guys said ,keep the cash and put it to something faster

Defo save it for something more performance orientated. The performance gains to be expected from a 1.4 will be little more than maybe 3-5BHP.. and as said might promote other problems with engine management when air intake or exhaust gas flow goes off the charts.. the engine is an economy engine at the end of the day so you can't force performance gains from it.. if you really must spend money then rather than do any performance mods go the handling route, spend it on decent tyres, uprate the brake discs and pads, go coilovers or for cheaper option Eibach Pro Kit, some forms of strut bracing, upper and lower, but since the Corolla isn't independent at the back it won't require a rear lower brace, but if you are lowering you may need to adjust the geometry.. having the right geometry setup can go a surprisingly long way :)

I agree, save the cash, put it into a high interest ISA or savings account then when it comes time for you to sell up and get something better you'll have loads of $ for the car and insurance!

I'd love to spend some of it on some nice 17" alloys and get it lowered a bit but everyone I know who has lowered their car it ends up controlling like a hippo trying to ice skate..

So is there like a Reccomended kit or set of springs I could buy? I'd prefer spend a bit extra and have it control better than cheap out just so it looks lower but I end up crashing it haha

I got the D2 coliz on mine mate, is muchhhhh better than standard, even if you only lower a smidge! :thumbsup:

Ooo they sound good.. Will they kill me with every day driving ?? Or are they not too firm

D2 from the world I come from (Honda) are notorious for being quite stiff, even on the softest setting, but they are great on smoth roads. BC Racing do offer a degree of comfort.. it depends on your budget for suspension.. do you go full on coilovers, or do you go for springs.. if its just springs my personal preference would be the Eibach Pro Kit, they have been deliberately designed to be used with OEM dampers, so won't kill them prematurely like other spring kits do, and most of them being progressive in design you won't sacrifice comfort but have the added benefit of better handling. Might be worth looking at anti roll bars as well.. not sure how common this upgrade is with Corolla's but maybe getting second hand front and rear anti-roll bars from the T-Sport.. I'm assuming the 1.4 didn't, or if it does, come with anti roll bars they won't be as beefy as the T-Sport, cheap upgrade :)

Also wheel selection.. this is an area very commonly overlooked when modding.. you need to find the right balance of tyre width, profile, and the most important weight of the alloy itself. The lighter the alloy the more response you will get, less mass to move under acceleration, deceleration, and change of direction when turning.. also with fitting wide tyres on a smaller light weight car means it will like to tramline.. I suggest sticking with 16inch or smaller for your car and invest in some decent light weight alloys rather than go big, cheap and heavy.. I use this database when looking at alloys, it has alot of wheels from around the world, but its made for Americans so not all wheels would be included. http://www.wheelweights.net/

Have fun shopping :)

Is it worth stealing the breaks off a t sport? Or won't they fit..

Also been looking at some mtec discs with ferodo pads which seem popular on here!

the discs pads and caliper on the t-sport are the same on the 2.0 diesel model so you don't have to get t-sport brakes (it might be difficult to find someone breaking a t-sport) whereas (in our area anyway) it will be much easier to get your hands on a 2.0 diesel being broken for parts in which case you may wish to steal the front discs pads and calipers.

you may have issues with the wheel ofset but my diesel has the 15" alloy from factory on there and they don't hit, i don't see why your wheels would. if you're changing to bigger wheels then that isn't a problem anyway.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that if you are upgrading the size of disc and having larger calipers there is the added risk the existing master cyclinder won't be able to provide enough pressure/fluid to the larger piston in the larger caliper, so you may need to upgrade your master cyclinder size to a diesel/t-sport one to keep the system running sweet.. there is also the ABS to think about, since you have improved braking power the ABS system/software was writting for the existing braking system in mind, and it might not function properly when you might just need it..

For all the geeks out there who want to read an article about bigger brakes and ABS here is an article thats food for thought:

http://www.teamscr.com/motorsports/tech-articles/38-abs-and-big-brake-kits.html