Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Danger - Broken Cam Chain On Motorway.

RichardSw

Has anyone had any experience of a cam/timing chain breaking in mid-journey? It happened to me at the weekend - on the motorway! At first I thought it was a cam belt which hadn't been changed. But the garage says it is a broken cam chain. That's not supposed to happen is it?

Apart from this costing me a fortune, is it something Toytota should know about in any case? Should I get in touch with them?

I cannot speak with any authority but it wouldn't do any harm to approach toyota - you have nothing to lose. After all, to the best of my knowledge, there is not service life on the chain so in theory it should not fail.

How many miles has the car done?

Do you have records of the car being serviced at the proper intervals?

Chains are notorious for needing their regular oil changes. It could have also been a tensioner failure. Did you notice a rattling noise at all before it snapped?

Yes, regular services.

I didn't notice any rattling.

Apparently the tensioner went slack and this caused the chain to jump a link or two - damaging the engine in the process.

Apparently the tensioner went slack and this caused the chain to jump a link or two - damaging the engine in the process.

Coming back to the oil, you say it's a 2003 1.8. There could be a chance it had the oil burning problem, so the level dropped low enough to cause an issue here?

Apologies if you have already checked this.