Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starting Problem

donald packham

Most modern cars have a clutch switch, it is there to stop you starting it up in gear

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks for the information. My previous avensis was a 2003/4 model and was not so fitted so it is obviously a more recent inovation. My driving instructor back in the 1960's (car - Triumph Herald) always told me to push the clutch fully home when starting the car as this saved wear and tear on the clutch and saved draining the Battery. He insisted that one must always check that the car is in neutral before attempting to start it.

pushing in the clutch when starting,more so when cold is to reduce drag from the gearbox.it will not as you say save wear and tear on a clutch.

Most modern cars have a clutch switch, it is there to stop you starting it up in gear

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks for the information. My previous avensis was a 2003/4 model and was not so fitted so it is obviously a more recent inovation. My driving instructor back in the 1960's (car - Triumph Herald) always told me to push the clutch fully home when starting the car as this saved wear and tear on the clutch and saved draining the Battery. He insisted that one must always check that the car is in neutral before attempting to start it.

pushing in the clutch when starting,more so when cold is to reduce drag from the gearbox.it will not as you say save wear and tear on a clutch.

I stand corrected - I was only repeating what the instructor told me.

I haven't had any problems since the initial one and as you say 'it is still guaranteed'

Best Wishes,

Donpack

• 4 months later...

I'm glad I found this thread - five or six times in the last week, I've had this problem. Clutch to floor, turn key, and nothing (bar the all the lights on the dash coming on). Will check the various things suggested, and if all fails, then it's back to Toyota (bought new in July). Really disappointed, after ten years of totally glitch/trouble-free Corolla driving.

• 12 years later...

59 reg Auris deisel does not start, endine turns over ok. 2 fault codes recorded,P1604 start fault and P0093 fuel system leak. Have change fuel filter but no different, not sure about the System Control Valve which shows low resistance when removed, No visible fuel leaks on car and fuel is getting through. Ant sugestions ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links