Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

3s-fze?

~Rach~

Yes mate, you are absolutely right and I apologise. :)  So what is the difference between an in line 6 and a flat 6.  I always thought this meant the same thing?

Well I suppose that flat 6 could mean the same thing, but it usually denotes an engine with pistons facing opposite directions. I'm horrible at explaining these things.... basically, it's a V6 (two banks of three cylinders), but with 180 degrees (flat line) between the banks instead of the usual 60 or 90 degrees (and in some cases, 54 or 15 degrees). For illustrations, I found this site really helpful: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine5.htm

Very few manufacturers use these engines. Air-cooled Volkswagens, all Porsches (except the Carrera GT and the tank called the Cayenne), and Subarus use boxer fours and/or sixes. Toyota also made a boxer twin (the U-series) that was used in their S800 sports car and Publica minicar. There are probably others, too.

In adition to what you said: Take the volkswagens VR6 enigine it is called like this because it's like a V6 but because of the very small block angle (I believe 15 degrees) it more a straight (the R in VR stands for Reihe which is German for straight or in-line) engine.

I also know that there is a difference between a boxer and an flat engine. I'll try to explain in English but it's difficult for me.

With a flat engine the pistons have a block angle of 180 degrees and when the pistons opposite of each other move simultaniously in the same direction i.e. left and right. Thus creating a lot of lateral energy which causes vibrations.

With the boxer engine the pistons opposite of each other move away or towards each other. In this way the lateral energy created by one piston is practically nullified by the other piston.

Between the two engines there are also differences in ignition sequence but I don't know anything about that.

2 cilinder Flat: the arrows are pistons showing their way of direction:

----> O ----> <---- O <----

2 cilinder Boxer: the arrows are pistons showing their way of direction:

----> O <---- <---- O ---->

I Hope this all makes sense :eek:

• 4 weeks later...
The one and only Caldina GT4 with 4wd 3SGTE

Seriously considering importing one  :drool:

I own a Caldina GT-T: Factory 3SGTE with 4wd.... (ST215W)

(they were not called the Caldina GT-FOUR until the latest model - ST246 that came out last year in Japan.

Feel free to ask any questions if u have em :-)

AL

PS and yes these are an awsome wagon!

Lucky B*&£$%d lol :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know the full specifications of caldina's GT-T brakes??Do you know if they can fit to a Carina E 1.6?

Sorry for not replying for so long, but it seems the email function isnt working - im not getting notification if replies to posts that i post in.... so email me directly on the following addr if u got caldina GT-T questions and i can help u. just remove the brackets from the following addr and eveything in them:

at.nicholls(anti-spam)@auckland.ac.nz

AL

• 4 years later...

Hey i see this is old blog but i was just browsing through the net and came across it i would assume that you are talking about the supercharged 3s-fe which would be labeled a 3s-fze wich does exist i see one for sale on trademe (nz auction site) fully stock (was going to buy it to convert into my st183 corona exiv with a 3s-fe in it),and ive seen a mark2 with a straight six in it that was supercharged from the factory on their also just for those of use that thought the 4A was the only factory supercharged toyota all the others are probably JDM

only so would only be a few of them exported out of japan.

Hey i see this is old blog but i was just browsing through the net and came across it i would assume that you are talking about the supercharged 3s-fe which would be labeled a 3s-fze wich does exist i see one for sale on trademe (nz auction site) fully stock (was going to buy it to convert into my st183 corona exiv with a 3s-fe in it),and ive seen a mark2 with a straight six in it that was supercharged from the factory on their also just for those of use that thought the 4A was the only factory supercharged toyota all the others are probably JDM

only so would only be a few of them exported out of japan.

Was this a stock engine, direct from factory, or was the supercharger attached afterwords? What about output?

• 6 years later...

post-145531-141975208834_thumb.jpg

I have a 3S-FSE engine in my Corona. Most of these engines are in the auto Corona from 99-01 I think.

Data is limited in regards to this engine and vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Toyota OC

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links