Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scratch Removal

aamir

Hi, I could really do with some help.

I bought a 08 plate Toyota Avensis hatchback in Eclipse Black on the last Bank Holiday.

The dealer sprayed it with Supaguard before delivery.

Today I noticed a deep 2 mm scratch running all the way down the drivers door and into the rear door.

Looks like someone has scraped something agianst it.

It looks too wide to be a key scratch.

It looks like someone may have used a coin or something metallic to scractch it while walking past.

Is there anything I can use to try and make it look better.

I do not think I can afford or justify taking it to a body shop.

I was planning on using something the Meguiars Scratch X or Farecla G3 scratch remover.

Doe anyone have any advice.

Thanks

It will all depend how deap said scratch is, if it is through the paint and you can feel it with your nail, or doesnt go when wet no amount of polishing will remove it, especially by hand

You could go down the touch up pen route but that could look worse than it is now!

Thanks.

I think it does not go through the paint all along the scratch.

I will try and get some pictures taken tomorrow.

At some places it is deeper than elsewhere.

My idea was to try and give it a good polish with something and see if it improves.

I already realise I will not be able to remove it completely.

I just wanted to know which product i should try.

I have absolutely no DIY skills.

Depending on how deep the scratch is you could try t-cut, failing which have a word with a company called 'chips away' they are supposed to be good....

:thumbsup:

Is there a particular T-cut product you would recommend?

IMO scratch-x is better than Tcut at removing light cratches, I would also recommend Dodo Juice lime prime and Autobrite Cherry Glaze

If it has gone through the top coat, then it will need a panel spray....

and how exactly is it done? Do you apply it with a piece of cloth and then polish and buff it with cloth? or do these need to be specially made for purpose too? Will ordinary yellow polishing cloths not do? And can you go too deep?

A panel spray might work out a costly option. I think it would cost 150-200 per panel. Thats minimum 300 spent for 1 large scratch. Can you get cans of spray and do it yourself?

• 1 month later...

and how exactly is it done? Do you apply it with a piece of cloth and then polish and buff it with cloth? or do these need to be specially made for purpose too? Will ordinary yellow polishing cloths not do? And can you go too deep?

Use a mild cut polish and rub along the scratch then in wee circles until the scratch disappears.

Yes You can go to far.. As a rule of thumb if You can feel the scratch with Your fingernail then the scratch is through the lacquer .

You cars paint is made up of 2 parts 1ST is the base coat or colour coat which is then topped with a lacquer coat. If the scratch is through the lacquer which is typically 60% of the total combined thickness then only paint will cure the problem..

99% Of scratches can be polished out .. Please do not attack You cars paintwork with T cut as You are very likely to cause damage with this pre historic rubbish

This thread will explain a little about polishes and how to use them.. If You care to post up a pic of the scratch I will do My best to advise on what to use and how to use it.....

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=127259&st=0&p=1133029entry1133029

HTH

Wee Charlie.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Finyl which is good. I had a dvd which was scratched and skipping annoyingly in one spot. I treated it with Finyl & it stopped skipping & was restored! The proof is in the pudding as they say...great product.