Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High Rpm When Start The Car

jnsridhar

Camry 2000 of mine takes a long time to settle down at low rpm when started everytime. Its like its very shaky if I start off immediately without allowing it to warmup even during hot summers. It starts around 1800 (or 18000) rpm everytime and then takes everytime 3 mins to come down to 1000(or 10000)rpm. Please advice

Camry 2000 of mine takes a long time to settle down at low rpm when started everytime. Its like its very shaky if I start off immediately without allowing it to warmup even during hot summers. It starts around 1800 (or 18000) rpm everytime and then takes everytime 3 mins to come down to 1000(or 10000)rpm. Please advice

It sounds completely normal to me regarding the revving after starting.

Most modern cars start off higher revving to enable them to warm up quicker and because they auto-choke is still on and the revs gradually drop until it has warmed up.

94 Camry LE automatic 104k miles.

Just an FYI: Same problem for me...kinnda. In my case, cold car start is OK with RPM around 1100, then as it should begin to fall back below 1000 it jumps to nearly 2000 and holds there for several minutes. If I push accelerator, there is a big hesitation before the engine responds. If I try to shift into gear when revving 2000 RPM in park, car dies.

Search the forum for Camry Stalls thread for more details on similar problem...all of which do not have a longterm solution yet.

check your idle speed. some cars have them set too high so they will warm up quicker, but then a guru might have gotten in there and messed with it not knowing what he was doing.