Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speaker Installation Set Up

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi there

I would like some advice please. Do i need an amp?

My set up is jvc 3way 200w on the front doors, jvc 4way 240w on the rear doors, and i want to add jvc 4 way 360w 6 by 9s on my rear parcel shelf. I have a jvc headunit with 4 by 50w outputs.

I just need to know what jvc amps i need to power it all? Im thinking i only need an amp to power the 6 by 9s at the rear parcel shelf. Please help.

Kind regards...Sammy

p/s...As you can all tell...i only ever use JVC...dont know why but i like jvc and has always worked for me.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

• oldcodger

• CorollaD4D

• Necron

You don't need a jvc ,any decent one wwill be sufficent

Depends where you want the sound coming from ? You can just get a 6-channel amp , n power the whole lot of it .It doesn't even need to be powerful mines 640watt and even that's overkill

amplifying the 6x9s or even having a set to start with is the best way to ruining sound stage and dragging the sound back. nothing elaborate is needed. 2-way components in the front, and coaxials in the rear (if you must) and a good amp pushing in the region of 75w rms into each door will cope with all but the heaviest bass setups. fade to the front creates better stage or getting rid of the rear Speakers altogether gives the same effect.

I knew you'd pop up with the whole stage sound thing ,that's y I didn't mention but ye sam he's correct

Thanks guys :thumbsup: ...As i have time today i'll trawl online site for a suitable amp...however do i need a 2 way or 4 way amp? My mate has a 4 way 800w amp he's selling...is that too powerful for my set up?

you dont need anything special , i mean if you got your mates amp for 40quid ,you can just turn the gain down and it will be fine.

Even if you have a 4-channel amp you dont need to use all the channels , you only want to amp the front Speakers ,and tweeters if you have aftermarket ones

I knew you'd pop up with the whole stage sound thing ,that's y I didn't mention but ye sam he's correct

am i becoming that notorious for being an audio stickler? lol...

by the way Sam is that amp you mentioned 800w max or 800w rms, i think it would be max because 800w rms for a 4 channel amp sounds like too much? that's 200w rms per channel? i mean it's possible...

Sam if you have 3 way components in the doors do they consist of a mid bass, a mid and a tweeter per door? if so then have you cut up your door card to accomodate them or do you mean 3 way as in a coaxial speaker with a mini mid and tweeter built in?

if it's the latter then personally i'd ditch that and go with a normal component kit consisting of a mid and tweeter and mount the tweeter up in the a-pillar or where the wing mirror attaches to the door, i think you mentioned you had factory blank panels there? you can just use a fine drill bit and drill into it to make a hole pattern for the looks...

not to be condecending but if any of that went straight over your head then i can expand/clarify if you need me to.. :)

Just an update...a friend of ours just purchased a 2005 Vauxhall Astra...they also purchased the same jvc headunit as us...and they're running all 4 original door Speakers + they added some 280w 6 by 9's on the rear parcel shelf...all running off the headunit itself eventhough it states 4 by 50w...and the sound is amazing...will this eventually damage the headunit? It would be great if that worked for me only all my Speakers are jvc aftermarkets and would save me buying an amp!

Please advise :thumbsup:

Sounds like they piggy backed the rear Speakers, and it can potentially damage as the "daisy" chain of Speakers will change the ohm (resistance) of the setup, I'm guessing it is being run as a parallel circuit and not series.. either way the head unit wasn't designed to power anything more than it was meant to, so in the long run it may short something out.. not recommend doing this!

..will this eventually damage the headunit?

Please advise :thumbsup:

Hey Sam,

Depends on how they were connected to the h/u.

If they were connected to the existing speaker wires, then that could, depending on the way they are wired, increase the load on the h/u amp and cause it to run hot, so shorten its life.

To be safe ensure the h/u has a fuse in its power line and that its the correct value.

If that starts blowing when being played loud, or the front of the h/u or surround gets too warm to the touch, then you know its being oveloaded by the 6x9s.

Give the full details of what the units are and how they were wired to a good audio tech for a qualified answer.

as has been stated the thing with wiring additional 6x9 to the head unit is not advised. you can disconnect the rear door Speakers and wire the 6x9 in the parcel shelf if you really want 6x9...

GUYS I THINK I'VE FOUND THE ONE...THE AMP...IT LOOKS THE PART...SEXY...I KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT AMPS...ITS 800W THOUGH...TOO POWERFUL MAYBE???...AM I LOOKING FOR TROUBLE??? OR IS IT PERFECT FOR MY JOB SO LONG AS I DONT TURN UP THE GAIN TOO MUCH...IM CONFUSED MAN! :huh:

HERE SHE IS:

JVC KS-AX5500

It's 100w x 4 so you should be fine with that as long as you keep gain to sensible level :)

I've just come across another AMP...to save a likkle cash lol...would this do the job??? :thumbsup:

JVC KS-AX504 Power Amplifier

I've just come across another AMP...to save a likkle cash lol...would this do the job??? :thumbsup:

JVC KS-AX504 Power Amplifier

Hey Sam,

That one is used - so you have no idea how its been treated - I would avoid ..

Re the Amps power ignore the headline Wattage and go by the RMS Watts, thats the real rating. ( same applies to the Speakers max handling )

Think your h/u is 4 x 50W RMS into 4 ohms, the one above is only 40W RMS into 2 ohms which means its even lower output.

If you want a beefy output for your 6x9s think that may be dissapointing - perhaps that other one would be better with its minimum 60W RMS into 4 x 4 ohm, be good and useful for many setups imho

GUYS I REALLY WANT TO BUY MY AMPLIFIER BUT NOW I CANT DECIDE BETWEEN THESE 2...PLEASE HELP :help:

JVC KS-AX5500

OR

JVC KS-AX3104

SO CONFUSING... :blink:

i'd be tempted by the ks-ax5500 simply because it will put 100w rms into 4 ohms whereas the ks-ax3104 is only 60w rms into 4 ohms. more power is always better than less and it is much easier to damage/blow/kill Speakers by under powering them compared to over powering them.

the only thing is from what i've seen on the net the ks-ax3104 is a newer model, one website suggested it was the 2011 model so this would make it the "latest" model in that range and obviously this meaning more r&d has gone into it etc etc. in addition it is class a/b in architecture whereas i couldn't seem to find the class of the ks-ax5500 (class a/b better quality for front stage, although with an everyday set of Speakers you probably won't notice, it just depends how anal you want to be).

also whoever said that the ks-ax5500 is 100w rms and you should "keep your gains down" - the amp will put out up to 100w rms no matter what the gain is set to. the gain is just a way of matching the input level of the amp with the output level of the headunit :)

anyways like i said for me, i'd probably go with the ks-ax5500...

i couldn't find a link with your Speakers, so if you've not posted them will you please post a link to your speakers somewhere that will make me better placed to help you...

i'd be tempted by the ks-ax5500 simply because it will put 100w rms into 4 ohms whereas the ks-ax3104 is only 60w rms into 4 ohms. more power is always better than less and it is much easier to damage/blow/kill speakers by under powering them compared to over powering them.

the only thing is from what i've seen on the net the ks-ax3104 is a newer model, one website suggested it was the 2011 model so this would make it the "latest" model in that range and obviously this meaning more r&d has gone into it etc etc. in addition it is class a/b in architecture whereas i couldn't seem to find the class of the ks-ax5500 (class a/b better quality for front stage, although with an everyday set of speakers you probably won't notice, it just depends how anal you want to be).

also whoever said that the ks-ax5500 is 100w rms and you should "keep your gains down" - the amp will put out up to 100w rms no matter what the gain is set to. the gain is just a way of matching the input level of the amp with the output level of the headunit :)

anyways like i said for me, i'd probably go with the ks-ax5500...

i couldn't find a link with your speakers, so if you've not posted them will you please post a link to your speakers somewhere that will make me better placed to help you...

You obviously know what your talking about CorollaD4D...and thank you...i like the look of the

ks-ax5500 and wasnt aware it had 100w rms...but i also like the look of the ks-ax3104 and again didnt notice it had a lower rms at 60...is that realy a major factor though?

Re my speakers:

FRONT DOOR SPEAKERS: JVC CS-HX635 200W MAX 3 WAY COAXIAL Speakers

REAR DOOR SPEAKER: JVC CS-HX645 240W MAX 4 WAY COAXIAL Speakers

REAR PARCEL SHELF: JVC CS-HX6945 360W MAX (6 BY 9) 4 WAY COAXIAL Speakers

HEADUNIT: JVC AVX40

I bet that doesnt help much...no one sells these speaker models anymore...i've had them for years transferring them from one car to another...except for the 6by9's...they're a recent investment lol!

Please let me know what you think...thanks mate. :thumbsup:

Sammy

PLEASE GUYS...ANY ADVICE AT ALL? I REALLY WANNA MAKE MY PURCHASE TODAY! :help:

By the way CorollaD4D...i just found the JVC ks-ax3104 at £60.00 delivered brand new...would that justify loosing the extra 40w rms into 4 ohms etc???????

And does anyone know what a Class-D Circuit Mono Amplifier is...whats the difference!

just get the amp you found the deal on. i don't think you'll miss the extra power of the alternative amp and if it's within budget i'd rather you get than one to be honest. however don't go to the guy/website giving the cheapest price because you should go with a reputable registered dealer so if/when the amp goes pop you have a proper warranty for it.

class d mono amp is basically an amp you would use to power a subwoofer for example. they are class d (d for digital) which gives a higher power efficiency compared to class a/b for example however they give a lesser quality but because it's bass it doesn't matter as much even though purists would have a lot to say about that. the mono refers to the fact the amp has only one output channel - to drive a subwoofer. you can wire multiple subwoofers obviously but this would change impedance etc. compared to the four channel amp you have/will/are going to buy which has 8 output connection - giving 4 channels.

the Speakers - you have 6 channels of Speakers yet only 4 channels of output on the amp you are looking at. so either you ditch one set of Speakers (i'd go for the rear doors) and keep the 6x9 in parcel shelf amplified or you can wire the rear set of speakers to the headunit output if you really want to. my advice would be that having 4 channels amplified would give more than enough volume you wouldn't miss not have the extra set of speakers connected. so if it were me i would connect the amp to the front speakers and the 6x9 in the parcel shelf and either not bother fitting speakers in the rear doors, or if they're already in there i would leave them unconnceted.

it would have been better to have a component set of speakers up front rather than a coaxial but we can deal with this at a later stage. setting the foundations with a good headunit and amplifier is the most important thing, you can chop and change speakers afterwards with little effort.

incidentally does your headunit have a front pre-out which will supply the amp you are looking to buy? as far as i could find out it only has a subwoofer out which (if im correct) means the headunit will set a low pass filter on the output and this is for use only for connecting sub amps. therefore you need to check if the amp you are wanting to buy has a high level or line input possible. if not then we need to find you a different 4 channel amp :)

..........and it is much easier to damage/blow/kill speakers by under powering them compared to over powering them.

Hey CorollaD4D,

Thought using an underpowered amp would cause it to be used at full or near full output too much causing early amp failure which could blow the Speakers when the amp failed etc, but cannot to see how underpowering them could otherwise damage them ?? any specific reasons... ??

IM EVEN MORE CONFUSED THAN EVER COROLLAD4D...WHEN YOU STATE:

incidentally does your headunit have a front pre-out which will supply the amp you are looking to buy? as far as i could find out it only has a subwoofer out which (if im correct) means the headunit will set a low pass filter on the output and this is for use only for connecting sub amps. therefore you need to check if the amp you are wanting to buy has a high level or line input possible. if not then we need to find you a different 4 channel amp

I'VE MANAGED TO FIND THE PDF INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE AMP IN QUESTION

JVC KS AX3104 PDF

:help:

incidentally does your headunit have a front pre-out which will supply the amp you are looking to buy? as far as i could find out it only has a subwoofer out which (if im correct) means the headunit will set a low pass filter on the output and this is for use only for connecting sub amps. therefore you need to check if the amp you are wanting to buy has a high level or line input possible. if not then we need to find you a different 4 channel amp

JVC KS AX3104 PDF

Hey Sam,

An additional AMP needs a suitable input signal, typically a low voltage one supplied by the H/U via a PRE(amp) Output connector - seems your unit does not have one.

That kind of output is typically used to feed a sub woofer amp as well, though many of those sub amps will accept a speaker output signal instead.

The external amps generally need a low voltage PRE Output, but worth checking if those you have seen accept a speaker output signal.

The problem with the latter is the quality will be reduced somewhat.

What I would do, is disconnect the rear Speakers and temporally extend those leads to your 6x9s and see what the system sounds like.

It might be good enough like that - worth a try before splashing the cash..

..........and it is much easier to damage/blow/kill speakers by under powering them compared to over powering them.

Hey CorollaD4D,

Thought using an underpowered amp would cause it to be used at full or near full output too much causing early amp failure which could blow the Speakers when the amp failed etc, but cannot to see how underpowering them could otherwise damage them ?? any specific reasons... ??

Generally speaking with good quality Speakers overpowering them will lead to increase mechanical load on the speaker which the speaker will handle due to the manufacturing tolerances used. to the end user overpowering a speaker will give to 'symptom', when the volume is turned up the speaker will just play louder and louder.

when the amplifier running a speaker is under powered for the job at higher volumes it starts to clip the output signal it is sending to the speaker. the clipped signal basically causes the voice coil of the speaker to heat up and thus pops the speaker.

A normal good output signal by the amplifier would look like a smooth sine curve, which the speaker would play all day long no problems. If you see in the picture:

400px-Clipping_1KHz_10V_DIV_clip_A_5ohms-1-.jpg

the peaks of the waves are flatted or clipped off. At those points the speaker is not producing a tone but rather the energy send output by the amplifer is just heating the voice coil. doing this enough times or just once very sharply will blow the speaker.

JVC KS AX3104 PDF

Ok, well a speaker needs some sort of amplifier to work. the energy used by the dac or other processing chips in the headunit is no where near enough to actually power the speaker. nearly all head units have some sort of internal amplifier that is used to power the Speakers.

now what you are trying to do is stop using the internal amplifier of the headunit and use an external audio amplifier instead. this is because you want to have 1) a more powerful amplifier and 2) a higher quality one.

so in a normal headunit the internal circuits take the signal from the processors and feed this into the headunit's internal amplifier but we are wanting to use an external amp. hence we need to feed this external amplifier with a pre-amp signal from the headunit. this is the signal that our new external amplifier will amplify and output to the speakers.

some headunits have no preamp outputs, some have one, others 2 or 3. what i was trying to say was that as far as i could find on the internet your headunit only has one preamp output. what i was trying to ask you is that do you know or can you find out if your headunit's preamp output is dedicated for adding subwoofer only or can it be used for full range amplifiers.

if it can be used for full range, then it's all good we just plug an rca into the headunit, run it to the amp and bobs your uncle away you go. if this is not the case we need to use another method of feeding preamp signal into the input side of your amp. another method of this is using a line convertor where we take one or 2 of the rear speaker connections from the headunit and using a convertor convert these into rca inputs for the amp. this is generally speaking a lower quality method of doing things usually down to the poor quality of the convertors used. in an ideal world the best way to connect this up would be to use rca to rca, however if this is not possible a line convertor can be used. and in practice they can work well if installed correctly.

sorry for the essay and hope that helps :)