Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Swap

russell st

I have a 1987 celica st (US). The original 3sfe has siezed up on me for the second time (200k + miles). So I am ganna replaces it and I was wondering if the 3sgelc from the same year will fit.

You should be able to fit any of the engines though you'll probably have to change other parts at the same time. I think the fe engines use a different transmission to the ge ones so maybe you should look at buying an engine/transmission package. You'll also need the ECU and engine loom for whatever engine you buy. The 5S-FE is a good motor plenty of torque and still good economy

The Haynes manual for the celica refers to two transmissions, the C-52 and the S-53 plus an auto. Unfortunately it doesn't say which is used for what. Just done a quick google search and it would seem to me that the C series is used in the lower power engines (FE) while the higher power (GE) engines use the S series. Obviously some of the internals must have been uprated to cope with more power. However it seem to me that since the engine blocks are the same between FE and GE versions (its the head thats different) then the engines should be interchangeable with the transmissions. I guess what i'm saying in short is that i see no reason why the 5S-FE shouldn't fit your transmission. Only thing is it should have more power than your 3S-FE so any weaknesses in your transmission will be highlighted if you start to use that extra power harshly.

one more question... what cars used the 5sfe engine and how much work will have to be done to my motor mounts??

I just called toyota and they tell me that the c-52 is for the 3sfe and the s-53 is for the 5sfe. So I think I am just ganna go with the 3sfe engine.

i have a 3s-ge engine in my 89 celica, 30000 miles and hasnt seized up yet on me. the 3s-ge has good torque and horsepower also, but if you want to just put a new motor in, and not change the transmission, i would recommend putting in the same engine or one close to it