Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Towing Thread

600rob

A few months back I picked up my first yaris which happened to be fitted with a towbar. Which I thought would come in handy for my motorcycle.

I posted on the forum for a bit of advice on the subject but I think the majority of people have not tried/considered towing with their yaris so the response was not very conclusive. The vehicle is rated to tow 400kg on an unbraked trailer so I decided to give it a go myself and see how it went...

Bought myself a trailer, set it all up and off I went for my first test last week. It was my first time towing with any vehicle so I was a bit apprehensive as despite the raring of 400kg the yaris is still only 1 litre!

The combined trailer and bike weight was about 265kg plus all my tools/spares in the back so probably about 300 kilos in total, not too close to the specified limit so that was fine.

I wasn’t sure how it would cope but the car completed a 200 mile round trip quite well.

Off the mark from stand still is was very good and picked up speed well which was good when getting on to motorways into the flow of traffic and when pulling out from junctions.

On the flat it cruised quite comfortably at around 60-65-mph and was nice and stable under braking providing you give some extra braking distance.

Cornering was fine, again I was making sure to do my braking early before the corner and take it nice and smooth no problems there

When taking long gradients it coped fairly well too, the overall speed would drop from 60’s to mid 50’s but at the same time I was trying to go easy on the engine so it did fairly well. Probably the worst bit was a short but steep hill with 11% gradient. I had some slow vehicles in front from the base of the hill so struggled to gain any speed and revs, as a result couldn’t get it much above 35mph at this stretch.

Overall it seemed to tow better than my both my mates vehicles with bigger engines, a renault scenic with a single bike and my other mates frontera 2.0 diesel as I kept leaving them both behind especially on gradients. (The frontera was carrying 2 bikes and a heavier load though)

From full it completed the 200 mile trip with over half a tank of fuel left, the gauge just dropped to 5 bars about 10 miles short of home so fuel economy was pretty good as well.

The only problem I had was I blew fuse on the tail lights. That was an easily sorted electrics problem.

All in all it was a job well done, the drive wasn’t hugely different from normal driving provided you give yourself that extra bit of time for braking/cornering manoeuvres etc but that’s all standard towing practice I guess.

Hopefully this thread will be useful to anyone else considering towing with their yaris.

Thanks

Rob

post-105767-0-63536100-1308386506_thumb.

post-105767-0-56965800-1308386526_thumb.

Very impressive considering it's a 1L!!!! :thumbsup:

My in-laws started their caravanning life using a Hillman Imp to tow a 3m caravan and they were just 875cc and 39bhp - compared to the 68bhp of the 1.0l Yaris!

You youngsters of today never had it so good! :-)

:eek:

How did it mooove?! :lol:

Wait, wasn't the Hillman a rally car...?!

I may be confusing my classics...

Nice :)

I think the caravan fell off 'tho :lol::yahoo:

Very impressive considering it's a 1L!!!! :thumbsup:

What about this then! :yahoo:.

Pete.

post-74463-0-46630400-1308684822_thumb.j

• Like 1

Please also be aware that, after a certain date, it became law to pass an additional test if you wanted to tow anything above a certain weight AND you are legally restricted to a max of 60mph on national speed limited roads!

@alf and pete

Where do you people find this stuff?!! :eek::lol:

@alf and pete

Where do you people find this stuff?!! :eek::lol:

Ah! Well ...... I was driving the mobility car and Alf was in the caravan working away on his laptop looking up on Google for some light hearted stuff to put on the forum. :cheers:

Pete.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links