Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Installing Short Shifter

minidoughty

Tried installing my TTE short shifter today, and all was going well until I got to removing the stick from the standard cage.

The TTE instructions are no help (just one sentance saying remove stick and install new one), and the TWM instructions show a different white cage that's simple to remove the stick from (same white cage as the TRD kit).

Here's what I have:

WP_000247.jpg

Can anyone help with how i remove it?

If you look closely in each corner (although round I know) there should be small square opening on the side. Could be a two person job, bit stick screwdrivers in each & you'll need to wedge it out.

Ps it's a !Removed! to do :thumbsup:

If you look closely in each corner (although round I know) there should be small square opening on the side. Could be a two person job, bit stick screwdrivers in each & you'll need to wedge it out.

Ps it's a !Removed! to do :thumbsup:

Hiya mate I know you have the mwr short shift kit what does it feel like compared to the standard shifter for day to day driving? does it require allot more effort to change gear?

Yep was a !Removed! but did it with my heman powers pulling up the stick while unclipping each one. Then after what can only be described as a grease explosion, I was done. Going out to test it now!

Cool full report on how it feels compared to standard shifter when you get back.

Please give us a full report mate :thumbsup:

Well here are the fitted pics:

WP_000248.jpg

WP_000249.jpg

so firstly, the height, this has reduced by about 1-2 inches from standard, making your hand sit on the top of the shifter if using the arm rest.

the shortness of shift (is that right?) has reduced by about 30%, with a nice firm slot between gears.

the stiffness, it isn't really anything to worry about, it's stiff, but not anything that would cause any problems, i found it quite nice and notchy.

the result, on the quick run on the motorway, i managed to keep lift between 2nd and 3rd without even trying. It kept revs just that little higher between changes.

so in conclusion, a ballache to fit, but well worth the £80 i got it for.

looks really good wonder if i can use a tte one on my diesel? but t-sport is 6 speed i think and mines 5? :(

The shifter is only a stick, so when the housing is not attached to the linkages it moves in any direction, so 5 or six speed shouldn't make a difference. It's just if your shifter is a different type.

I thort all short shifters were listed as e12.

looks really good wonder if i can use a tte one on my diesel? but t-sport is 6 speed i think and mines 5? :(

You could cut your gear lever then reweld it a little lower, that would have the same effect.

You could cut your gear lever then reweld it a little lower, that would have the same effect.

CorollaD4D the TTE short shift works just fine in 5 speed gearboxes. I have one fitted.

Nrgizerbunny just by cutting your gear stick will not have the same effect. I have explained it in another older topic but anyway, please have alook at the following picture. It's all about reducing the angle of throw. The TTE gear stick is shorter from the top but longer in the bottom. And the middle sphere is situated at a higher place due to the use of the aluminium base bushings (which also give the stiff feeling when changing gear). If one believes that he can achive the same affect by just cutting off the gear lever, he can just grab his gear lever from a lower point when changing gears... The only effect you will get is that the gear changing has become a lot harder...

short.jpg

tte1-1.jpg

do you know the part number of the tte short shift? Im planning on getting one this week.

CorollaD4D the TTE short shift works just fine in 5 speed gearboxes. I have one fitted.

Nrgizerbunny just by cutting your gear stick will not have the same effect. I have explained it in another older topic but anyway, please have alook at the following picture. It's all about reducing the angle of throw. The TTE gear stick is shorter from the top but longer in the bottom. And the middle sphere is situated at a higher place due to the use of the aluminium base bushings (which also give the stiff feeling when changing gear). If one believes that he can achive the same affect by just cutting off the gear lever, he can just grab his gear lever from a lower point when changing gears... The only effect you will get is that the gear changing has become a lot harder...

short.jpg

tte1-1.jpg

I disagree.

By going to a shorter shifter by definition you are making the gear change harder because you reduce the mechanical advantage, you have to move the stick less distance so to compensate you have to apply more force.

If you cut the gear lever and reweld it lower, you reduce the mechanical advantage and hence have to push/pull harder.

The TTE shifter does two things, it effectively cuts the top of the gear lever (above the pivot) and lengthens the bottom (below the pivot). You could have the same effect if you cut the stock gear lever (above the pivot) even lower.

I'm with Madvinegar on this one, especially with the maths and diagrams worked out. Just by cutting the top all you are doing is making it harder to engage each gear but the throw will still be the same distance, you need to extend the bottom bit to multiply the effect of what you have done above the pivot point.. TTE wouldn't have poored thousands and thousands into R&D only to find that all that was required was just to chop the top off.. this design works for a reason and all decent short shifter kits I know on the market use this design..

I disagree.

By going to a shorter shifter by definition you are making the gear change harder because you reduce the mechanical advantage, you have to move the stick less distance so to compensate you have to apply more force.

If you cut the gear lever and reweld it lower, you reduce the mechanical advantage and hence have to push/pull harder.

The TTE shifter does two things, it effectively cuts the top of the gear lever (above the pivot) and lengthens the bottom (below the pivot). You could have the same effect if you cut the stock gear lever (above the pivot) even lower.

Unfortunately it is not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. This is how the short shift works. The whole point is to reduce the angle of throw. And this is only achieved by the method that the TTE shifter is built and works. On the contrary, no matter how low you cut the OEM gear stick, the angle of throw remains the same.

As I said, if one believes that he can achieve the same effect by just cutting off the gear lever, he can just grab his gear lever from a lower point when changing gears... You don't need to cut and weld...

Anyway, there is no need to argue. Everyone is free to make his own choises. I just wanted to explain how the shifter works.

do you know the part number of the tte short shift? Im planning on getting one this week.

Bamber I think the part number is ΑΜ26062000.

it is correct, I just checked on the (useless) instructions, but thats the TTE part no. you could really do with the Toyota Part no.

post-9827-0-65451800-1308648005_thumb.giThe basic problem is you think the shift shortening is due to a reduction in the angle of the gear lever. This is not correct, the actual shortening of the shift is a combination of the angle and the distance from the pivot.

TWM shifters have the pivot in the same place as the stock lever and the same distance below the pivot to the gear cables. The only difference is the length from the pivot to the gear stick which is reduced.

I have attached a diagram to show the difference. Note that if you cut the stock lever right down, although you have to move the stick through a greater angle, the actual travel distance - which is what you feel is much reduced. I have exaggerated the drawing but you can see the effect.

I understand your point (it is always nice to exchange useful and foundamental views).

I believe though that you are leaving something big out. The angle of throw is very important because by this way you can still change gears easily! With a short travel of the gear stick you still have the same result by using the same amount of effort.

If you just cut off the gear stick, you may reduce the travel distance of the gear stick, BUT you lose all the effect of the quick shift because you will have to apply the double amount of effort to change gear.

A quick shift means that you can shift quickly, not just have a short lever.

As you will see in the site of TWM, they propose that you should also buy a heavy (weighted) gear knob so as to assist you in the gear change. This means that the whole procedure is not being done easily (or even "properly") and for sure the tower and the gear cables will be suffering a lot of stress.

I bet that if we could make an experiment and we could count the exact time needed for changing gear with a TTE shift and a cut standard shifter, 10 times out of ten the TTE shifter will be much quicker (and with much less effort!). (This is because you said in one of your previous e-mails that they would have the "same effect").

As I said in two of my previous posts, why don't you grab the standard gear stick from a lower point when changing gears? You will get the feeling of how difficult and unprecise will be if you cut it off...

Yep you are right in that a cut down gear shifter will require more effort to change gear

but so will the TTE shifter, It doesn't matter how you shorten the shift, the net result is more effort will be required because you have less of a lever arm.

All short shifters work the same way, more effort to give less travel.

hate to throw a spanner in the works, but to add to the discussion, the TTE base bushes raise the cage also, so this would also have an effect on the height of the pivot...

Also, you have to take into consideration the force that is applied to the bottom of the lever.

hate to throw a spanner in the works, but to add to the discussion, the TTE base bushes raise the cage also, so this would also have an effect on the height of the pivot...

This is known. It is the only way to achive smaller angle of throw (and this is why the TTE shifter is longer at the bottom - so as to reach and clip on the shifter cables). See my scetch in post No12.

This is what is said in your link:

A common misconception in the industry is that a short throw shifter is just a chopped off version of the stock shifter, in reality it is a much more complex part. The geometry of a short throw shifter has been altered in such a way as to reduce the distance that the upper section of the shifter needs to move to achieve the same degree of movement in the lower section.

So even the TWM shifters are longer in the lower section. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the link Uber Luke.

I rest my case. :lol: