Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Installing Short Shifter

minidoughty

This is what is said in your link:

A common misconception in the industry is that a short throw shifter is just a chopped off version of the stock shifter, in reality it is a much more complex part. The geometry of a short throw shifter has been altered in such a way as to reduce the distance that the upper section of the shifter needs to move to achieve the same degree of movement in the lower section.

So even the TWM shifters are longer in the lower section. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the link Uber Luke.

I rest my case. :lol:

I don't want to sound patronising but you don't understand forces, levers and moments. Read the TWM faq carefully,

"The geometry of a short throw shifter has been altered in such a way as to reduce the distance that the upper section of the shifter needs to move to achieve the same degree of movement in the lower section."

This basically reads, we chop down the gear lever.

You cannot have something for nothing, by reducing throw you need more force to move it.

if you make the lever arm shorter on the stick side, you will require more force to move it.

if you make the lever arm longer on the cable side, you will require more force to move it.

The TTE shifter does both of the above, hence it will require more force to move it. I can post up the maths if you want the proof.

pffft...

when before Iinstalled my TRD short shifter I purchased a second hand unit from a breaker and cut that down, it is in no way as close or as smooth as the TRD shifter. It does feel quicker than standard, but also harder to shift.

TTE, TRD and TWM don't have extra lenght on the bottom for no reason, its where the shift is made shorter.

They cut abit of the top to make it appear shorter and gives you a placebo effect and to justify me spending £200+ on one!!

Yep you are right in that a cut down gear shifter will require more effort to change gear

but so will the TTE shifter, It doesn't matter how you shorten the shift, the net result is more effort will be required because you have less of a lever arm.

All short shifters work the same way, more effort to give less travel.

:yes: its what weighted gearknobs were invented for :D both ways work just one is a little bit better than the other but costs £££'s instead of nothing

Ok... this is not going anywhere... :lol:

Both options require more force, but TTE requires much less force than the one needed when chopping off the stock gear lever. (I can post a sketch to prove that).

forces.jpg

Also TTE shifter actually reduces the angle of throw, so it may require a little more effort (than when standard) but at least you get a result!

As I have said, everyone is free to make his own choises.

P.S.: Maybe we should prepare and send a letter to TTE and advise them that they are stupid because all the work they have done, experiments, trials, tests etc. were in vain, as the exact same effect could be achieved just by chopping off the standard lever! Clearly they don't understand forces and levers!!! :D

Yeah, what does a rally/F1 team know about?

Anyway the letter idea wouldn't work, they're shut down, and just a research facility now.

Yeah, what does a rally/F1 team know about?

That paddle shift/sequential box is better for a quick gear change?

Yes cutting the gear stick down will reduce throw - increases the force to change gear a lot (when throw distance is the same as the short shift kit), but the short shift kit also changes the pivot point

so stock setup: little effort = long throw

cut down gear stick: high effort = short throw

short shift kit: medium effort = short throw

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links