Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3s-ge And 3s-gte Differences

leclercqr

Hi Guys,

Im new to this forum so hopefully no one has asked this before. I would like to know what the differences between the 3S-GE and the 3S-GTE are. The reason I want to know is because at the moment i am looking at two options.

Option 1: Engine swap, replace the 3S-GE with a 3S-GTE. At the same time get the engine rebuilt and the turbo hi-flowed and reconditioned. Etc.

Option 2: Rebuild the 3S-GE with custom manifold, turbo, injectors,fuel pump, and forged internals.

From the way i look at it i can save AUD$2500 from not buying a 3S-GTE and put that into the AUD$3000-$4000 that it will cost to buy parts for the 3S-GE. And that way I would end up with a bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, better injectors+pump, and forged internals. Thats if the 3S-GE block and head will stand a turbo.

Don't know about the block but there is something you have missed out and that's the engine mamagement system The ge ECU does not know what boost is and so cannot control it.

I would like to know what the differences between the 3S-GE and the 3S-GTE are

The 3S-GE is naturally asperated, the 3S-GTE is turbo charged (single, twin entry turbo).

You would need to change the gearbox too. Normally when people fit the turbo engine in front drive only they use the box and driveshafts from an MR2 Turbo. Make sure its got a limited slip differential too otherwise the torque steer will be a killer.

In my honest opinion i would say its a waste of time. If you want a 3sgte go and get a GT4 because making a FWD celica into a turbo means you only have half a GT4.

Its worth the change because your gonna get the 4WD.

A lot of money and time for something which isnt as good as the real thing by a long shot. :hokus-pokus:

Thanks Guys. I've looked into it and a GT4 here in adelaide are 1. Rare as and 2. still run me around $12,000 for a 1989 ST165. And our import scheme is currently being "improved" (yeah, right) so import it out of the question for at least the next year and even then the reform if it goes through means i cant import a GT4 untill it it 30years old (wtf).

And besides i have spent 6months fully respraying my car from metal, with bodykit and interior re-done.

I have spoken to some performance workshops here and they have all said different things. I presented them all with what i see as two options.

1. Engine swap 3S-GTE + Gearbox + Running Gear. Around $4000 + $2000 labour

2. Rebuild 3S-GE with Custom manifold, T3, Exhaust, Forged Pistons, ECU, etc. Around $4000 + $2000 labour. (Gearbox + Running gear after run-in)

(already have GT4 brakes)

What do you guys think. Im relitively new to the car Mod scene.

Hey, guys. I was just thinking it's prbably stupid to rebuild an engine that has done 270,000 kms when the 3S-GTE's from a jap dismantler have only 40,000. So im going to go with the Engine swap.

One question left though. The 3S-GTE will bolt straight into my car (ST162) does that count for all generations of 3S-GTE because obviously if i can find one I would want to put a late model 3S-GTE.

Yeah, a Revision 3 3s-gte (st205) should go straight in. :thumbsup:

Year, engine mount wise and all gear will come with the engine but what about speedo and that sort of stuff. I have a mechanical speedo and my heater controls and stuff use the old wire levels. Where as the newer (ST185 and newer) use electronic speedo and solinoids. How would that work.

I think your gonna have to dump your mechnical stuff for the electronic stuff im afraid.

mate, it's good that your getting a 3s-gte, because that will give you more power. the 3s-ge is not as powerful, because no turbo. but the power differences is massive. the 3s-ge gives you around 150-170, and the 3s-get will give out around 240. so good on yah mate for getting the 3s-gte

• 3 weeks later...

I went down to to japanese import dismantlers and had a look/measured the floor pan for the GT-4. It would apear/meause as tough the floor pan of the ST165 GT4 and the ST164 GT-S had identical floor pans. From this discover and the fact that the GT-4 rear struts, ect. bolt into the GT-S I figure i can run the tower shaft down the center channel with a custom exhaust. Hmm, from me looking i dont see a problem, but im sure you guys have more experience than me.

Dont worry about cost because i have a 3S-GTE w/4WD gear box front cut, and the rear running gear and rear cross member from a GT4.

All parts that I can see I require i have. What do you guys think. Have any of you done if before.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys

Writing you from another end of the world:)

Have a question-I am considering rebuilding my ST162 with 3S-GTE cylinder head nad CT26 supra turbo. As I see it, I would also need GT4 ECU, all new wiring, GT4 fuel pump and different bits and pieces...as far I have GT4 cylinder head, ECU and fuel pump. Should I consider anything else before starting the conversion?will original 3S-GE gearbox last for at least 50 000km?not in favour of changing it at the moment:)

Would like to hear your opinions!

All parts that I can see I require i have. What do you guys think. Have any of you done if before.

leclercqr, if you want a nice home for the 3S-GE I'd be happy to take it ;) How much would you let it go for?

• 4 weeks later...

Searched !

If i could get a written off (Not seen how bad yet , cars on its way to my mates-uncles scrapy) Mr2 turbo (92 plate ) 103k .....cheap...is it worth me spendin another £800 to get it transfered + tranny ? I wanted a GT4 or supra but had to spend most of my savings recently :( so savings for car are down....

A front wheel drive twin turbo ? i guess it'll need new exhauts etc but how much else ? up grade brakes ? suspension....how much more ££ you think i'll need ?

Cheaper then buying the new car i guess and performance not quite as good but would it be better than saving for another year :lol: ???

Unique too i would think.... :lol:

I dont know :unsure: want the performance but is this a good way to do it ?

Going tomorrow morning (may have pics tonight) to see the Mr2 , the more i think about it the worse it sounds :lol::lol:

Someone help me...3sfe isnt cutting it

It`s been done before. Needs a fair bit doing. Like you said brakes, ECU, wiring, Exhaust.etc. Nothing that can`t be overcome. Ask Ken about his Avensis, That`ll give you some idea. Also i believe at least one of the Celica club members has done this.

Brave man. Good luck if you go ahead with it. :thumbsup:

PS it`s a TWIN ENTRY turbo, not a twin turbo.

be easier chucking a 3sge lump into it. but then even easier to get rid and buy a gt

be easier chucking a 3sge lump into it. but then even easier to get rid and buy a gt

I know but 3sge is nothing compared to the 3sgte. I'm lucky as my uncle owns a garage down the road who does my work incredibly cheap and well plus one of the boys i've grown up with works with his uncle in Glasgow in there scrappy . I had the 3sfe bought n swapped for £800odd quid when i got the car , which i'm led to believe is a great price.

:help::lol: its the fact i could have it bought and done by next week'ish thats keeping me interested

PM'ed ken - Thanks Dak

nooooooooooo! dont do it :crybaby: sell your GT and get a gt4! ST205's are going for 3k now!

In my honest opinion i would say its a waste of time. If you want a 3sgte go and get a GT4 because making a FWD celica into a turbo means you only have half a GT4.

Its worth the change because your gonna get the 4WD.

A lot of money and time for something which isnt as good as the real thing by a long shot. :hokus-pokus:

I agree with your there.

I did an engine conversion on my old car 1.4XL to a 2.0 Xsi, thinking about it now i could of brought a 306 Xsi with the money i spent on it having it done.

So you might as well save you penny's and buy a GT4, will same you alot of greif. Also can't imagine a FWD Turbo'd car, that'll be some bad wheel spin in the wet :lol:

Good Luck in what ever decision you make. :thumbsup:

There are loads of FWD Turbo Cars Kirst!

Admittedly they are not normally as good as 4WD!

Yep, there is the Rover 220 Coup-gey. The Fiat Coup-gey, the Astra Coup-gey, the Ford Focus RStupid, the VW Golf GIT (GTI)... and so on and so on :lol:

There are loads of FWD Turbo Cars Kirst!

Admittedly they are not normally as good as 4WD!

Yep, there is the Rover 220 Coup-gey. The Fiat Coup-gey, the Astra Coup-gey, the Ford Focus RStupid, the VW Golf GIT (GTI)... and so on and so on :lol:

And try getting decent performance out of them in the wet. :eek: Not that i condone that sort of thing. :D

Nothing wrong with the new Golf GTI leeky or the Astra! I expected that being on a Toyota Owners Club!!!!

There are plenty of 2wd Turbo's especially if you touch on RWD! TBH they add to the thrill by keeping you close to death at all times!!!! lol

The Golf GTi is a bit lardy .. the mk1 was a minter though ..

The Astra is too torque steery .. and has the usual Opel build quality ..

And at the end of the day, they are both FWD hatchbacks with sporty looks ..