Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Little Advice For A Noobie Please :)

Nxi

Just wondered if anyone would be so kind as to point me in the direction of some help with the following issues i have with my new 99 corolla SR.

1) Stereo removal

I dont have the trim removal keys for my car. Is there any way to get the heater vent cover off without them or is there anything else i can use? (my mum has a rav4, will the keys be the same?)

Is there an easy way to remove the standard Speakers and does anyone know the size of the standard Speakers?

2) Engine whistle

Theres a whistle coming from the engine bay when using full throttle but only above 2800-2900rpm and all the way to redline. I had a quick visual check of the airbox etc and it all looks tight.

Thanks in advance.

To answer the whistle question it could be something as simple as a vacuum hose thats come off, or there might be a split in one of those hoses thats causing air to leak.. but without actually hearing it its anyone's guess :(

To answer the whistle question it could be something as simple as a vacuum hose thats come off, or there might be a split in one of those hoses thats causing air to leak.. but without actually hearing it its anyone's guess :(

Hmmm i guess i could try and record it, see if my iPhone will capture it. Beyond plugs/oil changes etc im not really that experienced with engines, where should i be checking for the vacuum hoses and ill give them a check over tomorrow.

Thanks

Any tubes that connect from the intake pipe to the throttle body, and any connected to the intake manifold. Failing that the only other thing I can think of is there being a crack in the plastic on the resonance boxes in the air box system..

Any tubes that connect from the intake pipe to the throttle body, and any connected to the intake manifold. Failing that the only other thing I can think of is there being a crack in the plastic on the resonance boxes in the air box system..

Cheers, ill check tomorrow and see what comes up.

Made a couple of vids on the way home (voice memo thing wouldnt pick the sound up).

The whistle comes whenever i floor it, if i speed up slowly or at part throttle it doesnt whistle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh56RIN2PYo

Let me know if anyone knows what this could be.

Cheers

Does sound intake related from the vids but quite clueless to what it could be.. My only advice is to check all piping thats associated to the intake system and find any splits or tubes that have come off..

Get someone to stand outside and you drive by them with the noise happening.

I have had this on my son's 4efe starlet and a Previa and it was the baffles in the rear silencer had collapsed causing the exhaust gasses to produce the sound as they passed thro it.

Might be worth a check first

Get someone to stand outside and you drive by them with the noise happening.

I have had this on my son's 4efe starlet and a Previa and it was the baffles in the rear silencer had collapsed causing the exhaust gasses to produce the sound as they passed thro it.

Might be worth a check first

Worth a check yea, thanks. It does sound like it's coming from the nearside front of the car though. Gonna have a look-see tomorrow.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.

Had the car checked out by the garage and it turns out its the back box. As it functions perfectly well im not gonna change it just yet.

Also, ive just bought a new car (again). So the corolla is up for sale if anyone wants to buy a mint SR.

Advert

£50 discount if a member buys it (id prefer it to go to a good home!)