Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 Yaris

Devon Aygo

I would've been interested if they got the old 1.3 engine back but the 1.33 is poop compared to it...I'll wait until they listen to me.

Really? What's wrong with the 1.33?

I thought it was just the gearing... :unsure:

1.33 is an excellent engine!

Far superior to some of the Ford engines available

Ford engine? Where did the Ford engine come from?! :blink:

I thought he was saying the 1.33 VVTI was worse than the older 1.3 VVTi; I just wanted to know why...

The fact that they're better than Ford engines is a given :lol:

I always love that about japanese engines; Always very high-revving :)

Even the D4D is high revving and it's a diesel!! :lol:

I thought he was saying the 1.33 VVTI was worse than the older 1.3 VVTi; I just wanted to know why...

See post #23 and look at the posters Avatar..............It surprises me that a Ford owner can possibly criticise anything from Toyota........Particularly on a Toyota Owners Forum!

Ford owners can be very jealous people because they were misguided enough to buy a Ford. I know, having just sold a Fiesta to buy a Toyota once again. Regards.

Oh I seeeee...

Well he could be right... I still think the Mk1 Yaris is better than the Mk2 and the Corolla better than the Auris :)

I was just asking on why he thought the 1.33 was worse..

eCVT is not CVT at all, it is PSD (power split device).

All new Multidrive (S-CVT's) from Toyota used steel ribbed belts that should last forever, and Toyota is putting their S-CVT's into all their cars, world wide, and I am sure they would not do it if it wasnt fine.

I had discussion with Toyota head engineer for our region few years back and he told me Toyota engineers hate MMT and love S-CVT's and that S-CVT is the future @ T and this is now being proven.

FFS no need for bitchy comments, from a mod too! :rolleyes: I've been a Toyota owner for the past 4 years and have just sold my Yaris (3rd Toyota owned in a row). I don't like the 1.33 engine because it's far slower than the old 1.3 and I've also read a lot of posts on here about poor fuel consumption, I used to get 50mpg from my 1.3 Yaris yet people on here with the new 1.33 are saying that they are only getting mid-40s.

@spwolfx - They were saying how great the MMT was and the Freetronic before that too :P

See post #23 and look at the posters Avatar..............It surprises me that a Ford owner can possibly criticise anything from Toyota........Particularly on a Toyota Owners Forum!

Lol, he's only on this forum 'cos he's fed up with the Fiesta and is waiting for a proper car to be delivered as a replacement! :thumbsup:

The newer Fiestas are nice! Gotten far too big for what's suppose to be a small hatchback, but the new Yaris has that problem too so can't really criticise. Handling's much better than the Yaris. Cheaper for parts too, which is good since it'll need a lot more :P

@spwolfx - They were saying how great the MMT was and the Freetronic before that too :P

not really... they never liked that MMT (lets make distinction between marketing and engineering).

Toyota had has CVT's in their home market for years and now decided to push them wordwide with introduction of steel belt and 7 gear manual mode, i doubt they would do that if they had warranty issues with them.

In fact, there are a bunch of iQ owners here with same CVT and they like it.

I drove one in Avensis and personally it felt really strange, but manual mode was perfectly fine, paddles are cool too.

The newer Fiestas are nice! Gotten far too big for what's suppose to be a small hatchback, but the new Yaris has that problem too so can't really criticise. Handling's much better than the Yaris. Cheaper for parts too, which is good since it'll need a lot more :P

Each successive model from all manufacturers get bigger!

The current Mondeo is larger than my 1963 zephyr!!

That's why I'm waiting for the Aygo Mk2... by my reckoning it should be the size of my Yaris Mk1 :lol:

All this talk about size. Us men, I'm assuming most posts are by men, we really do have a problem with the size of things!!!! Well I don't.

(Scratches chin)

So heres the next delimma - does one go for the last of the old Mk 2 Yaris or wait for the first of the new model.

Personally i prefer the look of the new dash - nicer than the old central instrument panel, ive always thought that the Nissan idea of using proper dials on the central dashboard on X trails and P12 (the last of the line odd looking ones lol) Primera worked better. With the Primera at night time it looked like the cockpit of an airplane all lit up lol. The Mk 1 and 2 Yaris set up looks more of an afterthought in comparison.

Toyota will also need to improve the drive - ive never being in a Mk 1 but the Mk 2 tends to sway too much on bumps with a general lack of a solid feel on the road. (in my opinion)

Red diesel

The Mk3 is basically a normal boring car so the 'happy' handling characteristics of the previous Yarisususus will probably be gone.

The Mk1 and 2 were very high for their width which made them great for parking in narrow spaces and gave excellent high forward views but compromised handling due to the higher than usual centre of gravity.

IIRC the Mk3 is lower and wider and longer so the handling will probably be better but the forward view won't be as good.

The instrumentation is a matter of taste; I loved the digital dash of the Mk1 and early gen Mk2s; Personally I think dials are a step back to the stoneage :P. The big clear speedo and tacho made it easy to check your *exact* speed and revs at a glance which you don't get with dials.

The fuel gauge and temp indicators would have been better as dials tho' :lol:

I actually prefer the centre dash too as it means the instruments can't ever be obscured by the steering wheel. It was a bit weird at first, but now that I'm used to it I find I much prefer it to behind-the-wheel instruments, esp. on cars with smaller steering wheels like Fords.

@gloucester - I think you misunderstand; We are *complaining* about cars getting bigger! :lol:

The Yaris Mk3 looks the size of an Astra, the current Fiesta is bigger than a Mk1 focus, and don't get me started on the Golf and Polo! (The Polo is already bigger then a 53-plate Golf and the Golf will be big enough to be classed as an MPV at the rate it's going!)

Going back to earlier posts; I've been itching to try out a 1.33 litre engine . . and the stop/start system plus a 6th gear, but I've no desire to trade in my current TR. I've noticed journalists keep calling the 1.33 engine 'weedy' or 'weak' (but then again they usually slate Toyota products anyway) and that its slower accelerating than the old 1.3. I think this current engine may be tuned more for fuel economy than power though I do really like the old 1.3, I'm rarely averaging less than 50mpg and there's plenty of power when I need it. Goes like the clappers when you rev it! Always good at just being light-footed.

Currently trying to get my dad to get one. He's swayed by the current car over the new one so I may get my chance to try out a 1.33. Fingers crossed!

I can see myself warming towards the new car BUT I don't like the idea of them bringing back an old analogue dash (as Cyker says).

Also I'm presuming Toyota are binning the stop/start system? Sat in a Verso-S recently in a dealership, it has a few spaces where there should be buttons. No Eco stop/start on/off buttons? Toyota don't even have a D-4D with stop/start . .

I guess Start-Stop doesn't come as standard?

Also, Stop-start diesels are rare; It actually hurts their performance because diesel engines work better when hot, but most (Certainly the 1.4 D4D in mine!) take ages to warm up unless you hammer them.

It's a bugger in winter lemme tell ya! :crybaby:

Other downsides are that diesels waste much less fuel when idling than petrol engines so the gain isn't as great, and diesel engines need much stronger starter motors and batteries to crank. You should see the Battery in my brother's Corolla 2.0 D4D! It looks like it was stolen out of a truck! :lol:

It's nice they didn't junk the D4D engine tho'; I still think the D4D is the best Yaris engine in the range :)

Still wanna see how the HSD stacks up tho'!

The Mk3 is basically a normal boring car so the 'happy' handling characteristics of the previous Yarisususus will probably be gone.

The Mk1 and 2 were very high for their width which made them great for parking in narrow spaces and gave excellent high forward views but compromised handling due to the higher than usual centre of gravity.

IIRC the Mk3 is lower and wider and longer so the handling will probably be better but the forward view won't be as good.

The instrumentation is a matter of taste; I loved the digital dash of the Mk1 and early gen Mk2s; Personally I think dials are a step back to the stoneage :P.

The trouble with making cars lower is that the older you get, the higher the car you prefer: ease of getting in and out.. And guess what? The UK eldely are rising in numbers.

When the Mark1 Yaris came out, it was ahead of the field and its competitors: Mercedes A class (crap), A2 (expensive and hard suspension), Mark 4 Fiesta (10 years out of date), Astra (carp).

Nowadays the Yaris can't compete on price with the Hundai I10 so is it competing on benefits? Personally I can't see any. I like height and digital instruments.. (I must be getting old).

Yeah... as it is a Yaris there are certain expectations I have about it, none of which seem to be happening with the Mk3. I probably wouldn't mind so much if the Mk3 wasn't called a Yaris...! :lol:

Still, I really shouldn't crit too much since it's not even out yet! :lol:

Also, it might be perfect for J&T when/if he goes 1-car - It's in between the size of his Prius and Aygo and will have HSD :thumbsup:

Yeah... as it is a Yaris there are certain expectations I have about it, none of which seem to be happening with the Mk3. I probably wouldn't mind so much if the Mk3 wasn't called a Yaris...! :lol:

Notsure the HSD version is going to be called a Yaris, could come here as the Vitz apparently...

Also, it might be perfect for J&T when/if he goes 1-car - It's in between the size of his Prius and Aygo and will have HSD :thumbsup:

That's already been thought of... the way these cars grow it could well be Auris size, the Auris will be Avensis size and the Avensis will be around Camry size and we'll all be waiting for the next super-mini!

:yahoo: