Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Hsd In Carwash

zetor

I'm sure I'm going to kick myself when someone points out the obvious:) but when I took my Corolla in the carwash I would select neutral, handbrake off and turn engine off, with the Auris if I push the Start button off it will always select "P" by default so I have to leave it switched on to select neutral which means the engine could start up while the car is going through the wash, no big deal if it did but would sooner have had everything switched of while the car is being washed, so am I missing something here or is this the case?

first i would NEVER use a car wash, they wreck your paint!!! if you dont want to wash it yourself then let the local hand washers do it, they arnt great for paint but better than the rotary paint strippers that are car washes!

if you really want to trash your paint then if you put the ignition on but do not press the brake pedal im sure that you can select neutral that way

first i would NEVER use a car wash, they wreck your paint!!! if you dont want to wash it yourself then let the local hand washers do it, they arnt great for paint but better than the rotary paint strippers that are car washes!

if you really want to trash your paint then if you put the ignition on but do not press the brake pedal im sure that you can select neutral that way

Thanks for the info, good point about the carwash, I have to agree and will look into seeing if there are any hand washers about, living in an appartment I have no access to running water at my garage but there should be some hand washers here.

On my Prius Gen 2 I only used the car wash twice after it was covered in muck and oil from motorway driving. I left the engine running selected neutral and that was it. The car wash instructions stated keep engine running, engage neutral. I have never used the car wash for our new Gen 3.

I'm sure I'm going to kick myself when someone points out the obvious:) but when I took my Corolla in the carwash I would select neutral, handbrake off and turn engine off, with the Auris if I push the Start button off it will always select "P" by default so I have to leave it switched on to select neutral which means the engine could start up while the car is going through the wash, no big deal if it did but would sooner have had everything switched of while the car is being washed, so am I missing something here or is this the case?

Bearing in mind there are two types of hand wash -

1. Where you park as normal all switched off and securely braked and the gantry type traverses to and fro over you- No problem.

2. Rolling type where a moving track picks up your front wheels and drags you through the various operations which I think is what you're talking about.

Then the procedure is drive onto the 'track' then Select 'N' - Parking brake 'OFF' Start Button left 'ON' and if the engine wants to start [mine never has] then there is nothing you can do about it!

What ever you do don't do anything that will engage 'P' could cause damage to the transmission, and possibly the car wash!!

Works for me, but I only use car washes in the cold weather out of preference.

Cheers TerryB

Bearing in mind there are two types of hand wash -

1. Where you park as normal all switched off and securely braked and the gantry type traverses to and fro over you- No problem.

2. Rolling type where a moving track picks up your front wheels and drags you through the various operations which I think is what you're talking about.

Then the procedure is drive onto the 'track' then Select 'N' - Parking brake 'OFF' Start Button left 'ON' and if the engine wants to start [mine never has] then there is nothing you can do about it!

What ever you do don't do anything that will engage 'P' could cause damage to the transmission, and possibly the car wash!!

Works for me, but I only use car washes in the cold weather out of preference.

Cheers TerryB

...plus selecting EV mode would reduce even more the chance of the ICE firing.

I would agree wholeheartedly about mechanical car washes of any kind!! Paint ruin if not the first time then certainly later...

I also take your point about flat living... No water supply where you need it!

What about your local supermarket, they seem to be a magnet for east europeans with a bucket? Just watch them the first time to ensure they do it as you would do yourself, if they do a good job then use them again, but watch to check at least once...

Good luck

yes some car washes can mark your paint work.but those like the one in my local BP garage,the washer uses very soft brushes.it so populer there is always a long queue to use it.my son uses it weekly for years now on his LEXUS,and has no marks/damage to the paint work.but a friend had his BMW left with swirl marks from a hand washing in a tescos.

you cant generalize on these things.any hand washing can trap abrasive muck under the cloth/mit you use and mark your paint.i always,that is why i use a very soft hand brush to cleann the car.the muckis pushed away instead of being rubbed into the paint work.another advantage of a hand brush its so much faster to use and gets in places like behind door handles etc better than other methods.

yes some car washes can mark your paint work.but those like the one in my local BP garage,the washer uses very soft brushes.it so populer there is always a long queue to use it.my son uses it weekly for years now on his LEXUS,and has no marks/damage to the paint work.but a friend had his BMW left with swirl marks from a hand washing in a tescos.

you cant generalize on these things.any hand washing can trap abrasive muck under the cloth/mit you use and mark your paint.i always,that is why i use a very soft hand brush to cleann the car.the muckis pushed away instead of being rubbed into the paint work.another advantage of a hand brush its so much faster to use and gets in places like behind door handles etc better than other methods.

Pretty much agree, I have Never let anyone else wash my car, even the dealerships that have aerviced the car and offered a free valet... They can hoover it out, but not wash it!

This covers two things, first I spot any chips before they develop into anything, and second, I know it has been done properly, including under and behind the sills and wheel arches, inside the door frames and under the bonnet!!

Car washes of any shade never do those bits...

Anyone got any thoughts about the DIY jetwash places?

Anyone got any thoughts about the DIY jetwash places?

i use our local one during the winter to loosen off the dirt and then take the car home and use a couple of buckets to wash it by hand...

It saves scratching the paint :thumbsup:

...plus selecting EV mode would reduce even more the chance of the ICE firing.

Apologies chaps, got my last post a bit twisted - Obviously I meant 'CAR WASHES' which you have graciously accepted.

Supermarket and spurious filling station hand car washes as a preference XXX You must be joking !!!

Toyota Dealer post servicing valetting I have always found OK.

But the only guaranteed way to satisfaction is to do it yourself, like anything else 'If you want the job done properly - do it yourself'

Someone mentioned the final touches to car washing must include opening all the doors, bonnet, boot lid, petrol cap lid, [watch this, with hybrids they tend to seize up through lack of use] and leathering clean the apertures and closures. absolutely right but you only get this with DIY.

My first job was in a garage that parked cars for a posh hotel in Hastings [circa 1949], and patrons would want their Rollers - Bentleys - British Salmsoms' etc, etc washed & polished.

Then there was only one way to do that then, and that was by hand - On my first Roller, I washed and polished with innocent pride and youthful industry hoping to get a big tip, [2/6p was not unknown in those days].

However I got my first serious professional telling off of my life because I had missed wiping the insides of the rear door apertures.

This was drawn to the attention of my boss when the owner came to collect his car, I was called over to hopefully I thought to receive due reward for my efforts - BUT it was explained in very forceful terms by my boss that by not doing this essential cleaning the customers ladies and gentlemen could get dirt on their dresses and suits as they entered and exited the car to the detriment of their appearance.

Downfaced and nearly in tears I was dismissed without any gratuity, when the car had gone my boss came to me and said "Should have told you about the doors, but that pompous B.....d always checks that" Gives me a wink and slips me 2/-.

There's not many bosses about now like that have the man management/leadership skills to cope with that sort of situation to everyone’s satisfaction.

But to ramble on -

Don't agree with your EV mode theory Ashpole - EV is a driving mode and could drive the car faster than the rolling wash track is moving. Please try it out and report back.

G'night TerryB

"Don't agree with your EV mode theory Ashpole - EV is a driving mode and could drive the car faster than the rolling wash track is moving. Please try it out and report back."

The idea was to put it in EV with the car in neutral to try and stop engine starting up while in the car wash, pressing Start off puts the car into Park and not too good when on the moving track:)

"Don't agree with your EV mode theory Ashpole - EV is a driving mode and could drive the car faster than the rolling wash track is moving. Please try it out and report back."

The idea was to put it in EV with the car in neutral to try and stop engine starting up while in the car wash, pressing Start off puts the car into Park and not too good when on the moving track:)

Spot on, but I should have explained it better, too few words! Powering up the HSD will leave it open to ICE start-up when not moving, selecting EV mode (yes it's a driving mode but more accurately is an HSD mode of operation) and then selecting neutral will all but eliminate ICE start-up.

If the ICE is up to temperature then selecting neutral is probably sufficient - remember that when in neutral the HV Battery cannot be charged by MG2 so there would be little point to the ICE firing except to warm up itself or you in the winter!

Spot on, but I should have explained it better, too few words! Powering up the HSD will leave it open to ICE start-up when not moving, selecting EV mode (yes it's a driving mode but more accurately is an HSD mode of operation) and then selecting neutral will all but eliminate ICE start-up.

If the ICE is up to temperature then selecting neutral is probably sufficient - remember that when in neutral the HV Battery cannot be charged by MG2 so there would be little point to the ICE firing except to warm up itself or you in the winter!

Ashpole & zetor

Have just done a practical experiment of your theories on my Auris and got the following results and came to these conclusions.

ICE cold - Start HSD - Select 'EV' - Select 'N' - ICE Doesn't start - released parking brake and found I could push the car OK.

With 'N' still selected - deselected 'EV' - the ICE starts because it is cold. However you can't reselect EV with the ICE running and you get a notice that EV isn't available.

Conclusion - You are both entirely correct and your theories are valid. [You learn something every day!!]

Thanks TerryB :D

• 2 months later...

What you are doing is about right, buy I will never use car washes, they ruin the car's paint! I made this mistake with my new Camry some years ago and I ended with swirls all over the car, I then had to get it professionally detailed and found an organic cleaning business that use steam cleaning and can even come to your house to do the cleaning, pretty easy... so ill recommend you try a business like this for your car washing.

Power up without pressing the break.

Place lever into "N"

I'm sure that allows the car to roll freely

The engine on the Prius and Auris cannot start in neutral, if it is running when put into neutral it will continue running until it has reached operating temperature then shut off unless the HV Battery is low in witch case it will bring it up to three bars on the display. Leaving the car enabled and in neutral is good way to flatten both batteries, and having no way to start the engine even a jump start will not work as the engine is started with the HV Battery not the 12volt, this only turns on the computers. To sum up under no circumstance leave the car in ready and neutral unless you want a big bill from Toyota for charging the HV Battery.

In a car wash just drive up, keep everything running as for normal driving. Ensure foot brake off and select neutral.

In a car wash just drive up, keep everything running as for normal driving. Ensure foot brake off and select neutral.

If you do this on a warm day with the aircon on the HV Battery can be dead in minuets.

The engine on the Prius and Auris cannot start in neutral, if it is running when put into neutral it will continue running until it has reached operating temperature then shut off unless the HV battery is low in witch case it will bring it up to three bars on the display. Leaving the car enabled and in neutral is good way to flatten both batteries, and having no way to start the engine even a jump start will not work as the engine is started with the HV battery not the 12volt, this only turns on the computers. To sum up under no circumstance leave the car in ready and neutral unless you want a big bill from Toyota for charging the HV battery.

You just contradicted yourself there. You said the car will start up to charge the Battery then you said the Battery will go flat !

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I see it, in ready mode, the engine will fire up in neutral to charge both batteries, the car will not let the HV Battery go low enough to not be able to start it, it will just keep starting the engine when the HV (or the 12v) battery gets low and maintain more than enough charge to re-start the car every time. I think you may be confusing regenerative charging with engine charging, regenerative charging doesn't work in neutral, i.e coasting.

When Neutral gear is selected, the coils in the motor/generators are made open circuit, so I can't see how the MG could either spin up the ICE (petrol engine) to start it or in the reverse situation be a generator to charge up the HV Battery?

When Neutral gear is selected, the coils in the motor/generators are made open circuit, so I can't see how the MG could either spin up the ICE (petrol engine) to start it or in the reverse situation be a generator to charge up the HV battery?

I stand corrected.

If that is the case, then it seems a poor design to me in that I could sit in traffic on a dark winters evening with lights and heater on, foot operated parking brake engaged gear in "N" and the engine cuts out after it's charged the HV, I could kill the car if the traffic doesn't move for a while. :eek:

Or is it not that quick at depleting the Battery ?

I stand to be corrected but that is how I took our Prius Gen 2 through a car wash several times in the past. The instructions at the car wash I sometimes used say: Keep engine running, engage neutral, brakes off. That is what I did with no problems. How else can you use the car wash??The car wash operators insist you keep the engine running.

I always thought as Kithmo does that the engine will start if the batteries get low. I have never put our Gen 3 through a car wash. I know a couple of other Prius owners who use the car wash and always select neutral as per the car wash instructions.

The engine will not start in neutral, sorry if my explanation was not clear. in my previous post I should have made it clear that if the engine is running when the car is put in neutral it will continue to run till the engine has warmed up when it will stop unless the HV Battery is low on charge in which case it will continue to run until a given level of charge in the HV Battery is reached it will then stop and it can not restart in neutral. This is because there is no mechanical neutral (no gears are disengaged) and if the motor generator was used to start the engine it would also try to move the car. Take a look at

Ehart.com/prius/psd

For a short period of time the car should be ok in neutral but turn all Battery load of this includes radio lights and particularly aircon or heater.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links