Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wiper Convertion

dickie trout

hi guys looking to ghange old style wiper for new flat ones.could anyone point me in the direction of good ones and stayaway from bad ones .thanks

I currently use Good Year ones that I bought from Costco.. seem pretty decent and doesn't cost the earth, think they are £6 something each blade.. The Euro R has had them for at least the past 9 months and they work as well now as when I first got them so the Corolla got some at the weekend as well and can't fault them, unlike some eBay specials that I had in the past that cracked and went bad at the first sign of winter, these were put on before winter and lasted all the way =)

Be careful if you go the eBay route I got some from eBay and I think they were fake as I was driving down the motorway late at night in the ****** rain and the wiper blade decided to snap off it's mounting on the arm! So was left with the blade holder a bit of snapped plastic on the drivers side! So had to take the wiper arm off and put the passenger wiper on the driver side. Not ideal so make sure you get decent ones.

I bought these ones a while back and they have been perfect, I was a bit dubious at first because they were so cheap but so far so good

If you don't mind me saying so, I would not recomend the flat blade wipers.

I would recomend you to stick with the TOYOTA ones for various reasons.

i) The flat ones don't do the same good job as the TOYOTA ones.

ii) The TOYOTA ones have this flap on them which direct the air much better.

iii) The toyota ones are less noisy.

iv) The toyota ones have this blue sticker which indicates the wear and when they should be changed.

v) The TOYOTA ones are much better quality and you are sure that you will not encounter any problem, ecpesially under severe circumstances (i.e. high speeds at the motorway, heavy rain and wind - fear of unclipping).

vi) Completely personal opinion, the flat ones don't look good, at least, on E12s. The oem ones look much better.

Anyway, the decision is ofcourse yours.

iv) The toyota ones have this blue sticker which indicates the wear and when they should be changed.

v) The TOYOTA ones are much better quality and you are sure that you will not encounter any problem, ecpesially under severe circumstances (i.e. high speeds at the motorway, heavy rain and wind - fear of unclipping).

vi) Completely personal opinion, the flat ones don't look good, at least, on E12s. The oem ones look much better.

+1 to all of that! I have had Bosch flat blade wipers on other cars in the past and found that they are not an improvement. They might be good when new (but then, so are ALL Wiper Blades when new) but their performance starts to fall away long before you would expect from normal blades. I was having to change them every 6 months or so. The current Toyota blades on my Corolla were on the car when I bought it 2 years ago and are still going strong (and I live in the west of Scotland, so they get plenty of use!!).

This was covered about a year ago in this thread:..... http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113786&st=0&p=1029778&fromsearch=1entry1029778

hi guys thank you for the advice.oh hols next week.will change them after that

Rubbish :yawn:

Been using some for months with no problem at all and they were only £6.00 off eBay :yahoo:

You may find if you change you won't get do much air flow into the cabin. It's a penalty you will have to pay for the aero look.

Cyclopse

Personally i disagree with number 1, 3, 4, 5.

I am not sure bout number two as i cant remember that far back.

I brought a set off eBay for about £6, they have been through two winters and still clearing the screen, if they dont clear the screen effciently i give them a clean and hey presto good again.

The little blue sticker is a bit of a farce, shouldnt wipers be changed when they dont clear the screen and not when a little dot says too, just manufactures try to get you to but their stuff.

I highly rate them and would buy another set when these ones die.

Just to throw a spanner in the works but whats wrong with turning the fan on in the cabin or even open a window? Also the high speed issue I'm sure wipers only start to bounce and judder at speeds close to the ton, and surely nobody here drives at those speeds to warrant wiper judder? I've never experienced my Good Year wipers judder at all even on a damp track day where I did hit speeds around the ton mark on the main straight with wipers in use.. but thats on a Accord Euro R, so I can't comment if there are any major differences to having it fitted to a Corolla.. but then again I can't imagine our 1.6 being taken on track.. I've used Bosch flats in the past and to be honest can't justify the much more expensive price due to short lifespan and cost compared to Good Year.. I'll be continueing to get these for as long as Costco will stock them :)

Maybe you are right... It's better to trust a cheap-"no-name"-ebay-bulk-produced exactly the same for 100 brands of cars (just changing the length) set of wipers, than the ones produced and designed after mulitiple tests and trials from Japanese brainiacs especially for our specific model.

After all, its just for our safety in heavy rain...

As I said, everyone is free to make his own choises.

However, this choise of yours entails and all the other drivers around you. Because if these no-name wipers fail to do their job in a heavy rain situation and you get off road or hit another car... then try to find the China seller to sue him... :lol:

Maybe you are right... It's better to trust a cheap-"no-name"-ebay-bulk-produced exactly the same for 100 brands of cars (just changing the length) set of wipers, than the ones produced and designed after mulitiple tests and trials from Japanese brainiacs especially for our specific model.

After all, its just for our safety in heavy rain...

As I said, everyone is free to make his own choises.

However, this choise of yours entails and all the other drivers around you. Because if these no-name wipers fail to do their job in a heavy rain situation and you get off road or hit another car... then try to find the China seller to sue him... :lol:

I have had mine on for a year and half through two bad winters up in scotland, multiple heavy showers (and not just showers i mean downpours) and no probs. My friend has exact same ones on his civic longer than me an his are the same as mine.

I wouldnt reccomend that impares or makes my car dangerous.

The ones I use are called Good Year.. same makers who appear to make tyres as well, so assume they have some R&D department who deals with anything rubber :) I do agree that eBay ones can be hit or miss, thats why I chose a brand I can trust when it comes to rubber.. but then again to throw another spanner in the works I wouldn't be surprised that Toyota don't actually manufacture the wipers from their own factories but have an OEM contract to a third party supplier that supplies to other aftermarket companies as well..

I just wanted to make a point. Of course, as you say, there are well respected brands like Bosh or Good year that you can trust. I was referring to the no-name imitation ones sold by chinese guys in eBay.

However, as I also stressed out, these blades are common for every type of car. Whether you have a range rover or a fiat cinquecento, you get the exact same blade (with just a difference in length). The design is the same though.

My opinion is that every car is very different. The shape is different, the hood is different, the angle of the wind screen is different, the position for the induction of the air vents is different etc. etc. Therefore I suppose that the car manufacturers take all of the above into acount and come up with a unique wiper design especially for the specific car. So as, i.e., to direct the air properly into the vents, to undertake the stress at high speeds, not to be noisy at high speeds etc etc. And all of that, to be in relation to the rest of the factors of the car, such as the car's shape, angle of windscreen, shape of the hood etc etc.

I cannot believe in any case that a bulkly produced wiper that fits 100 models, can have the same performance as the one especially designed for the car.

This is my humble opinion. Am I wrong?

I just wanted to make a point. Of course, as you say, there are well respected brands like Bosh or Good year that you can trust. I was referring to the no-name imitation ones sold by chinese guys in ebay.

However, as I also stressed out, these blades are common for every type of car. Whether you have a range rover or a fiat cinquecento, you get the exact same blade (with just a difference in length). The design is the same though.

My opinion is that every car is very different. The shape is different, the hood is different, the angle of the wind screen is different, the position for the induction of the air vents is different etc. etc. Therefore I suppose that the car manufacturers take all of the above into acount and come up with a unique wiper design especially for the specific car. So as, i.e., to direct the air properly into the vents, to undertake the stress at high speeds, not to be noisy at high speeds etc etc. And all of that, to be in relation to the rest of the factors of the car, such as the car's shape, angle of windscreen, shape of the hood etc etc.

I cannot believe in any case that a bulkly produced wiper that fits 100 models, can have the same performance as the one especially designed for the car.

This is my humble opinion. Am I wrong?

When you put it like that i understand where your coming from, im not trting to rubbish your opinion just give my 2p worth mate :-).

When you put it like that i understand where your coming from, im not trting to rubbish your opinion just give my 2p worth mate :-).

Yes, I know my friend. We are just having a nice and proper exchange of views. This is the point of becoming member in a website. Exchange views, hear a lot of opinions, advices, experiences etc. so as to help each other, and in the end you decide what to do and which way to follow.

All views and opinions as always welcomed when put in a proper way.