Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noise From Engine On Low Rev.

Rvall

Hi all,

I've been trying to search the forum for an answer to my noise from the engine. But it's very hard to just search for 'noise' ;-)

I have a Toyota Avensis 1999 2,0.

Lately there's a noise from the right hand side of the engine, sounds a bit like a plate was loose and rattles irregular when the engine is idling.

Also it sounds a bit like a small hammer working inside somewhere...

This is mostly heard up to about 2000 rpm and sounds the same regardless of rpm. Then it decreases (or at least I can't anymore when driving).

It decreases also when I raises the clutchpedal slowly to the position the engine starts to get contact with the clutch.

At first I thought that it was a loose plate somewhere, but I can't see anything that could be loose.

Now I'm more thinking about the waterpump...

It's very hard to locate where it comes from but somewhere from the belts, but there are so many moving parts that for me, it could come from any of them. But it does not come from the belt it self, more from a broken bearing or if the pump have move slightly so it's not in correct position...

But what do I know...

Anyone who have had the same noise?

Try this simple test. Run the engine for a short period with the auxilary belt removed - that may help you source the fault.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links