Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

£596 40K Service

Springy

I have an Avensis D4D-TR, 07 plate. I have just taken it in for its 40k/4 year service. I ended up with a bill for the service, 1/2 price MOT, a leaky water pump (which they agreed to replace for free), front brake pads and disks. Disks! after 40k! I asked the guy what they were making their disks from these days - Aluminium? He said he wasn't sure, it went straight over his head. He asked "Well, do you use the car every day?" I said it was irrelevant how often I use it, it had done only 40k. I have never had to have disks replaced before, and some of my cars have dome well over 100k.

The benefits I get from 42mpg town driving are far outweighed by 10k service intervals and bills like this. I will be going back to a petrol Ford Focus as soon as I can!

Do disks on these cars generally wear out quickly?

Neil.

Neil.

In one word Yes.

You are not alone in the long line of Toyota owners who have discovered Toyota original doscs are c**p. Mots people go for after-market replacements which are not only cheaper but longer lasting.

My neighbour has just had the first set of discs fitted to his 2002 Ford Focus with 93K on the clock. My son drives a 1994 diesel Clio with over 100K on the dash and it still on its original discs.

On my previous car I was warned that my discs should be replaced at the next service. Corolla, 25k miles. Used every day, not driven on the brakes. Unbelievable!

I have an Avensis D4D-TR, 07 plate. I have just taken it in for its 40k/4 year service. I ended up with a bill for the service, 1/2 price MOT, a leaky water pump (which they agreed to replace for free), front brake pads and disks. Disks! after 40k! I asked the guy what they were making their disks from these days - Aluminium? He said he wasn't sure, it went straight over his head. He asked "Well, do you use the car every day?" I said it was irrelevant how often I use it, it had done only 40k. I have never had to have disks replaced before, and some of my cars have dome well over 100k.

The benefits I get from 42mpg town driving are far outweighed by 10k service intervals and bills like this. I will be going back to a petrol Ford Focus as soon as I can!

Neil.

18,000 MILES / 2 YEAR GUARANTEE ON RAV 4, SPRINGY....DEEP JOY.

Big Kev :eek:

Neil.

Pretty common I'd say these as i've just change disc and pads on my daughters Honda Civic 1.8S at 35,000 miles. This seems to be the way it is since asbestos has stopped being used as the friction material, cars changed to front wheel drive etc . Just had a look at some Focus owners comment on various forums and there are plenty of members saying the same as you about your Avensis except they don't get 42 mpg around town ;).

Pete.

Used to have an '04 Avensis D4D T-Spirit and front disks skimmed at 20k, rears skimmed and fronts replaced at 40k with an advisory on the fronts again at 60k (a lot of that milage was motorway, so definitely not driven on the brakes). I think it's something to do with the composition of the pads - the disks are designed to wear at a similar rate to the pads... No idea why! :eek:

a lot is down to pad material. i suppose you're not complaining about the effectiveness of the brakes?

because the brakes are good it means the pads are more aggressive and will wear out the discs quicker.

you could always not use the brakes and put the money saved t'ward body repairs :D

Nope, always very pleased with the brakes - stopped very well - no need for repair shops whatsoever... :D

Asbestos brake linings or pads have not been used or supplied in over 20 years or more so you can discount that theory although it seems dealers are using this reason as an excuse. One garage not long ago told me this story and I told him to stop pi&&ing my back and tell me its raining.

My wife drives a 2001 Honda Civic (yes folks that's 10 years old)with over 70K on the clock and the discs are in excellent condition and well within wear limits.

I appreciate modern brakes may be more efficient but the fact of having to replace the discs in such a short period can only be down to poor quality materials and/or design. In other words a deliberate means of extracting more money from us down trodden motorists.

Brakes can be designed and constructed to wear much better yet remain efficient. It has been proved to be the case on commercial vehicles.

It seems to be the case in many modern cars but Toyotas seem to have the worst reputation.

When it comes to motoring mpg shouldn't be the only factor in judging how economic a car may be - it's down to the cost per mile. And yes it does cost energy to produce replacement components.

Haha! I always thought Ford had the worse reputation for brake disc longevity! Just goes to show...

It does seem quite variable; I tend to brake quite hard and very often; Am past 40k and brakes are all fine still (Touch wood!).

My old Fiesta OTOH was badly lipping at about 30k miles.

Additionally, my dad's Focus has required all 4 discs to be changed recently; The backs were incredibly corroded for some reason while the fronts were shiny but lipped.

I have changed the fron discs on my 2005 Avensis 2 at around 87 000 miles. I put aftermarket dics, because my local Toyota were quite busy at that time and I was in a hurry. They were cheaper but I'm no sure if they are better, at least they are not worst, because the car stops the same as before. I have put new pads but the same model as the old ones. If they last another 87K miles ... I don't want anything more.

My Avensis has done over 75k miles on the original discs. The fronts will probably need changing with the next set of pads so not before 100k miles. No complaints from me.

I notice a lot of drivers constantly tipping their brakes, its a bad habit, if most corner are judged correctly they do not need brakes, also some night drivers apply the brakes every time a car comes the opposite direction, Not only does it wear brakes it uses petrol.

• 3 weeks later...

No worries here, my wifes 2003 Avensis D4D has now covered 156,000mls and last week I changed the original discs for a budget set from e bay @ £115 for 4 discs and pads!! and although I dont expect them to last another 156k they were cheap enough, this is in stark contrast to a previous Peugeot 405 which needed discs and pads every 20k :crybaby:.I can also confirm that I have carried out all servicing to her car since 30,000mls, and apart from cleaning the EGR every 30,000mls and 1 set of glowplugs and an aircon compressor clutch, its never gave any problems, I have owned Mercedes Benz cars for the last 10yrs and my current CLS 320 CDI has had more problems in its 69k than the wifes Avensis, so Ive just decided to mothball the CLS and have bought a 2006 Avensis D4D to use for going to work and throughout the winter months as there is nothing more scary than a CLS on snow :wacko:.

Alfie

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links