Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless Deaths

cootuk

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8592170/Toyota-car-key-blamed-for-two-carbon-monoxide-deaths.html

"A hi-tech key system used in Toyota cars, which allows drivers to start and stop their engines by flicking a switch, has been blamed for two deaths by carbon monoxide poisoning in America..."

...and so it begins.

I take it these people must leave their keys either in or by the car when they exit without powering down?

Plus ignore the warning beeps that the vehicle is still on when they open the driver's door?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8592170/Toyota-car-key-blamed-for-two-carbon-monoxide-deaths.html

"A hi-tech key system used in Toyota cars, which allows drivers to start and stop their engines by flicking a switch, has been blamed for two deaths by carbon monoxide poisoning in America..."

...and so it begins.

I take it these people must leave their keys either in or by the car when they exit without powering down?

Plus ignore the warning beeps that the vehicle is still on when they open the driver's door?

The answer is self evident. It, supposedly, happened in America. So therefore either stupidity, Toyota bashing inspired by,say GM or US government or someone thinks lets generate a story that can result in a claim against Toyota.

...and so it begins.

There are times when its obvious that a small minority of people are complete and utter retards! Its obvious when the car is still running because the instruments tell you precisely what is happening.

Are these people so !Removed! stupid that reading the manual is beyond their ability and if so should they be allowed out at all let alone given authorised approval via a licence to drive a car?

The sad thing is that a vile lawyer somewhere will support this ridiculous suit just to make money but in doing so helps perpetuate the idea that its ok to be completely !Removed! stupid and take no responsibility whatsoever for ones own idiotic incompetence.

Idiocracy rears its head again. Bring on the Darwin awards!

Were they deaf or something?! :blink:

Even if they were deaf the instruments are there for a reason.

One individual who posted under the article and is clearly extremely stupid actually said that you would have to have OCD to check your instruments or dash board before leaving the vehicle! With mindless morons like that in the world, its no wonder cases like this get to court. They let these people breed you know! :censor:

I really have VERY LITTLE tolerance for stupidity as you can probably tell.

Ive just read this, OMG, those three letter say it all really. Before long people will be driven around by google for fear of these idiots!

It is hard to believe are folk in America just looking for ways to get compensation? The warning beaps are loud enough to hear and if the driver is so deaf he cannot hear them they should not be driving.

I saw on UK TV a chap awarded over £1,000 because he cut himself with a disposable razor.

The first thing I thought of when I read the title of this thread was 'blood6 yanks again'

Not wrong was I.....

I have no time for these idiots, as others have said, they rule the world so the world is wrong.

The article doesn't say what Toyota models were involved so unless it was a hybrid the engine would have been running anyway - another clue that you shouldn't just walk away.

Personally, I will admit to being a bit paranoid about such a thing happening. Even if it is in a locked garage I always double lock the Prius. The doors won't lock while the HSD is still running or the key is inside the car so locking ensures that everything really is turned off.

The article doesn't say what Toyota models were involved so unless it was a hybrid the engine would have been running anyway - another clue that you shouldn't just walk away.

Personally, I will admit to being a bit paranoid about such a thing happening. Even if it is in a locked garage I always double lock the Prius. The doors won't lock while the HSD is still running or the key is inside the car so locking ensures that everything really is turned off.

Not only is my Prius double locked in the garage, the crooklock is on and if its clean the car is covered too!!

I see a Darwin Award nomination somewhere hereabouts.

They may well have been - no law against a deaf person driving a car is there.

For whatever reason it would appear two drivers failed to secure their car.

Hi can a modern car with cat give out enough carbon monoxide to kill? If it was the prius it would only start and run for a few minutes any other Toyota why would it start at all.

I see a Darwin Award nomination somewhere hereabouts.

You read my mind! :thumbsup:

It looks like an Auris from the picture used. But that might have been a stock photo.

If it was a hybrid, the petrol engine shuts off at low speeds and definately when stationary, so it wouldn't normally be running to cause a death.

From cold, the petrol engine does run for about a minute or 2 just to warm up, then shuts off.

Sounds like another unfair Toyota bashing.

Hi can a modern car with cat give out enough carbon monoxide to kill?

Any gas being emitted by an internal combustion engine will be devoid of enough oxygen to sustain human life so the type of gas isn't in question.

Toyota aren't the only car manufacturer to use this system so if people are foolish enough not to secure their cars properly then its their own fault.

After 40 years in the motor trade what does concern me is how few people even bother to read the cars drivers handbook. They go out and spent a load of hard earned cash on a car and then couldn't be bothered to read its instruction book.

As the law on claiming compensation in USA is quite different to the UK it's not uncommon for lawyers to seek compo from big named companies. Both Chrysler and Ford have been plagued with such claims over the years so personally I don't see it as an attempt to bash Toyota in particular.

I believe the cars were Lexus saloons.

The relatives are also sueing the housebuilders for inadequate garage ventilation.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/02/is-keyless-start-another-technology-backfire.html

So people are also leaving the cars in drive.

How far does a manufacturer need to go to make it foolproof.

In industry you would interlock the engine to the door and driver seat weight detector. In a way I can understand calls for more interlocks, but the individual is ultimately responsible for the vehicle.

Toyota aren't the only car manufacturer to use this system so if people are foolish enough not to secure their cars properly then its their own fault.

Exactly: BMW, Aston Martin, Renault etc are all in the same boat. I am sure there are others, those are only the ones I know of personally. It does sound like some Toyota / Lexus bashing is going on, playing on collective US public memories of the infamous throttle / brakes episode.

I believe the cars were Lexus saloons.

The relatives are also sueing the housebuilders for inadequate garage ventilation.

Staggering! The building was not designed to ventilate the exhaust fumes from a running vehicle and I very much doubt if the building codes would require such a feature anyway and yet they are able to try and sue!

As unfortunate as these deaths are, I suspect we haven't lost a cure for cancer here!

there is a name for this kind of thing..................................................

natural selection.

i believe it is good for these people to remove themselves from the gene pool