Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alternator Removal

Bodgit-fixit-run

Ok so I've detached the alternator. it's *&^%ered.

How the hell do I get it out? there is simply nowhere for it to come through. Do I have to lower the engine or something?

Haynes manual is rubbish here.

If you have to slew the engine forward, there are some notes on doing it here;

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110862

I think you are an old hand at this job anyway!!!

When I get stuck like this I just keep taking things off until it comes. Keep your chin up BFR.

Y' mean yuv no removed the inner wing ???

Still no room Bothy. I'm thinking of cutting through the bulkhead wicking the pedals out and floor pan. Then I can get my feet through and run with the darling. Could be difficult when I'm towing though!:wacko:

Still no room Bothy. I'm thinking of cutting through the bulkhead wicking the pedals out and floor pan. Then I can get my feet through and run with the darling. Could be difficult when I'm towing though!:wacko:

To facilitate towing could you not remove the floor pan under every seat for extra foot/lbs torque and better braking,Don't forget,be sure to rustproof the cut edges tho. :yahoo::yahoo:

Del

I've had a great idea.!! :drool: :drool: :thumbsup:.. I'm going to glue 12v solar panels to the roof and charge the Battery from there. Who needs an alternator anyway? Less work for the engine and more mpg. Why didn't I think of this before? genious :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:.:yes:. it'le pay for itself in about 20years. Just like the double glazing!!!

• 2 weeks later...

OK I found a link but lost it again so whoever it was thank you. I've repeated the instructions below although added a little bit which makes the gap bigger.

here's what to do.

Loosen the righ hand road wheel

jack up the body

Remove right hand wheel

Put the wheels on full right hand lock.

Split the right hand track rod.

Romove the alternator belt.

Disconnect the Battery negative terminal.

Undo the alternator bolts and electrical connections. They can be fiddly

Undo the two right hand bolts which hold the sub frame in place. Support it with a jack. One is by the wheel arch and the other is on the suspension strut. lower it down. This will make the gap which the track rod comes through bigger.

Now you can bring the alternator through the gap. take care not to damage the sterring rack gaitor. You will also need to keep the track rod out of the way. The alternator comes out easier if you have the main bolt pivot point uppermost. Itg will need some coaxing but will come.

Replacement is reversal of the above. Don't forget the torque settings for the sub frame bolts.

There is no need to remove engine mountings or skew the engine forward.

Have some elastoplast handy for fingers it can be painful.

Get your partner to keep tea coming.

My replacement had it's wiring termial in a slightly different place which meant that the wiring didn't quite reach. has this happened to anyone else. As a work round I made an L shaped copper plate and insulated it with tape. That way I didn't have to re route wiring. It works just fine.